Used 2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Versatile sporty car 2003 XRS 2wd
By matthewinaz

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased used from a friend with 90k miles and now has 160k miles and not one problem with it. There is so much room in this car. When it was 150K miles I did preventative maintance on it myself(saves money). Front struts, radiator hoses, spark plugs, all fluids, serpintine belt and tentioner

My favorite future is the high roof line. Put it next to a camary or accord and the roof is higher. My XRS model is very fast with a red line of 9k with a strong power band. I don't ride it fast at all. Car is very reliable and never has broken down. If anyone is looking for an economical car that will last without problems this is it. I average 28mpg only because it's the sport engine. I did own a 2005 with the base motor and that got 33mpg with the A/C on or off. I can't say how much this car is perfect.

Seat isn't that comfortable. I have no gripes with this car.

Excellent buy, fine build from Toyota
By crpbdb

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased at 90K, have put about 6k on it since, including several long drive up I-5. Fuel economy is wonderful, I average more like 30 on the street and 32-35 highway. Of course the interior is a little cheap, but its a Toyota, not a Lexus. The clutch is smooth and so is the transmission, no bearing failures here, despite an abusive previous owner. I have had an issue with the driver side window falling down into the channel: a piece of the window sealing rubber had been pinched inside the channel. Toyota replaced it no problems. The storage capacity is where its at; it is a Camry chassis with 3-4x the amount of storage space. Has been a very reliable and economical ride for myself

Fun car to drive! It doesn't have a lot of oomph during mountain driving, but certainly does the job and great on the street. Easy to park, and handles well. I think the fuel mileage is the real kicker. Im getting better mileage than most cars in its class, no problems.

The interior can get beat up if you abuse it! I've replaced the stereo, and my power window button covers are fairly loose, but Toyota really can't be blamed for this. This is an economy car, if you abuse it and beat up on fragile interior areas they will break.

Advice
By ready

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am currently dealing with nightmare of the 2003 AWD Matrix. I do have a warranty. I am looking in to my rights under the lemon law. It seems to me that these cars are coming up with the same transmission problems and the transmission is different in the AWD then from other Matrix's that the trans is Faulty. And Toyota should be responsible. If anyone feels the same way or has any advice for me post on this forum ill be looking out. Thank you

It does haul things really well.

Do not buy a 2003 AWD!

No problems yet
By Scott

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my car with 85,000 miles on it from the dealership almost 3 years ago. It now has 116,000-17,000 miles on it and i haven't had any issues yet. I keep up with all maintenance. She has never let me down yet, and I have a lot of future plans for her.

Overall I like just about everything about the car, it is comfortable, drives smoothly. I really like the 8200 rpm limit and the cam change over.

Improve lower end power/ torque (takeoffs) and smoothen out the shifts. It doesn't slip into gear nice and easily, you have to put a little muscle into it.

Not your parents Toyota
By Last Toyota

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was our first new car purchase, and given our extensive Toyota experience (5 previous used Toyotas), we were expecting much. The flexibility of a 64/40 fold-flat rear seat with solid plastic cargo liner was outstanding. So too was the fold-forward passenger seats, which extend the size of possible cargo to 8' in length! Unfortunately the other aspects of the car weren't panning out so well. To summarize, performance, economy, fit-and-finish, trouble free driving, and fun to drive quotients were just not living up to the claims. After repeated problems with MAP sensors and various parts breaking repeatedly, if fell out of love. Now 7 years old, I've seen enough of my last Toyota.

Cargo configuration and interior room are excellent. The split rear folds flat and has included cargo tie-down points. This car can move an incredible amount of stuff.

Poor build quality: Exterior door handles break off regularly (common problem, try a web search). 3 MAP sensors replaced under warranty. Cheap interior trim, painted parts scratch easily, other parts fall off. Stereo died at 3 years. Anemic acceleration with 30% less mileage than claimed.