Used 2003 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Most Helpful|
Pretty fun car, perhaps.
By noonan_99

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Styling is okay - love or hate. I love it first, but I only like it now as I find that I love the new BBX of Scion (new wing of Toyota) better. Look aside, seating is pretty comfortable to me, except I dislike the way the power door locks are located, it makes my hand sore because of the angle.

Favorite Features

flatbed trunk, which is also available in CRV, Element, BBX, more.....

Suggested Improvements

Many are not hard-care drivers, they are easily satisfied with the small power of the Matrix. I bet for more!

Unreliable, poor quality
By jamesimcb

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I raved about this car when i first got it. But after a transmission failure at 130,000 km's I am very disappointed. Fuel economy has gone down ever since. many rattles in the car. failed caliper. toyota cost over 800 dollars. The premium you pay for a toyota is no longer worth it. Buy north american and save some money as Toyota's quality has gone down hill!

Favorite Features

The front passenger fold down seat. Carrying capacity is awesome when the car is not in the shop.

Suggested Improvements

Build it more reliable...bad transmissions with such low km's is unacceptable. Toyota should stand behind their vehicles but they do not, they are too caulky. Toyota is going down hill

A very slow AWD wagon !
By Emerson_ng

2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I test-drove the Matrix in March 02 with my sister. She did eventually bought the AWD in July 02 after coming back from a trip. I dislike the fact that it is a VERY SLOW wagon. I drive the AWD Subaru Outback, it is also 4 cylinder and with 165 horse and 155 lb-t, some areas get 158 lb-t. Man, I feel that the Matrix is just a shameful product by Toyota. It does get you to the snow mountains, but only without much passengers and other additional lugguages and weights.

Favorite Features

My sis says, she likes the gas mileage, 34/26 fwy/city compared to my Outback 30/24. She likes the look. (some of her friends don't).

Suggested Improvements

Better engine if Toyota has to compete head-to-head with CRV, Element, PT Criuser (with Turbo in 03), Subaru Impresa and Outback, etc. Else, Toyota is closing the door for some REAL DRIVING ENTHUSIASTS.

Looks kind of cool, performance so-so!
By Arshak

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

If it wasn't my old Rav4 was totally by a Suburban, I wouldn't be in the market for a new car this rather short period of time. Well, another Rav4, I rather not. I looked at the Matrix and the CRV. I almost bought the CRV, except that I need something more fun and interesting to look at. I looked at the Protege5 too, but the smaller engine wasn't up to the task to have fun. Well, the Matrix wins, but it is not the king. It wins only by its slightly better acceration and interior roominess. It is not a real sport car to me, but then, it looks kind of cool.

Favorite Features

The power outlet for my laptop and DVD. The stereo is kind of good. The seating is pretty comfortable. Like the under body kits, but I somehow think that it is a bit too wild. I wish there are at least another body kit style to choose from.

Suggested Improvements

Another more elegant body kit to choose from, better performance and a better engine at least 200 horses and torgue. Drop the IS300 engine in. Give us a real upper spoiler to complete the sporty image. HID lights please.

I hate the shifting in traffic
By Byran Wang

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

When Toyota says in the brochure that the Matrix is Sportcar, Wagon, SUV and blar... I thought that Toyota really mean it. I love the Matrix at first, but after driving it for a while I never have the trill to drive it fast or at least at the speed that I want. I loose to WRX, CRV, 4Runner even Honda Odyssey at greenlights. And mind is a 6 speed.

Favorite Features

Beware, there is virtually NO towing power. I feel that Toyota lied to me (and other consumers) a bit when they say it is a SUV, Minivan, Sportcar, bar...

Suggested Improvements

Get a real SUV + Minivan + Sportcar + Wagon Or I will consider the trading in my Matrix for the upcoming Nissan Minivan with 260 horses.