Used 2003 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 323 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Toyota matrix XRS
By codywindham

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am 16 years old and bought this as my first car. It has 241000 miles on it but it still runs like its new. It has great pickup and great handling and is really fun to drive. It gets decent gas mileage. The only thing I had to do was change the hoses but that is normal with cars with a lot of miles. I highly recommend this car.

Just a great value vehicle
By bzzd

2003 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our 2003 Matrix used in 2005. It had just over 20K km on the clock. It now has 260K. It has really been trouble free motoring - replaced 2 wheel bearings otherwise only routine maintenance. It has maintained a very adequate fuel economy. We love this vehicle so much that we are buying a 2013 model with as close as possible the features of our present one. Everything still works fine.

Versatile sporty car 2003 XRS 2wd
By matthewinaz

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased used from a friend with 90k miles and now has 160k miles and not one problem with it.
There is so much room in this car.
When it was 150K miles I did preventative maintance on it myself(saves money). Front struts, radiator hoses, spark plugs, all fluids, serpintine belt and tentioner

My favorite future is the high roof line. Put it next to a camary or accord and the roof is higher. My XRS model is very fast with a red line of 9k with a strong power band. I don't ride it fast at all. Car is very reliable and never has broken down. If anyone is looking for an economical car that will last without problems this is it. I average 28mpg only because it's the sport engine. I did own a 2005 with the base motor and that got 33mpg with the A/C on or off. I can't say how much this car is perfect.

Seat isn't that comfortable. I have no gripes with this car.

Excellent buy, fine build from Toyota
By crpbdb

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased at 90K, have put about 6k on it since, including several long drive up I-5. Fuel economy is wonderful, I average more like 30 on the street and 32-35 highway. Of course the interior is a little cheap, but its a Toyota, not a Lexus. The clutch is smooth and so is the transmission, no bearing failures here, despite an abusive previous owner. I have had an issue with the driver side window falling down into the channel: a piece of the window sealing rubber had been pinched inside the channel. Toyota replaced it no problems. The storage capacity is where its at; it is a Camry chassis with 3-4x the amount of storage space. Has been a very reliable and economical ride for myself

Fun car to drive! It doesn't have a lot of oomph during mountain driving, but certainly does the job and great on the street. Easy to park, and handles well. I think the fuel mileage is the real kicker. Im getting better mileage than most cars in its class, no problems.

The interior can get beat up if you abuse it! I've replaced the stereo, and my power window button covers are fairly loose, but Toyota really can't be blamed for this. This is an economy car, if you abuse it and beat up on fragile interior areas they will break.

Advice
By ready

2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am currently dealing with nightmare of the 2003 AWD Matrix. I do have a warranty. I am looking in to my rights under the lemon law. It seems to me that these cars are coming up with the same transmission problems and the transmission is different in the AWD then from other Matrix's that the trans is Faulty. And Toyota should be responsible. If anyone feels the same way or has any advice for me post on this forum ill be looking out. Thank you

It does haul things really well.

Do not buy a 2003 AWD!