Used 2003 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Excellent buy, fine build from Toyota
By crpbdb

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased at 90K, have put about 6k on it since, including several long drive up I-5. Fuel economy is wonderful, I average more like 30 on the street and 32-35 highway. Of course the interior is a little cheap, but its a Toyota, not a Lexus. The clutch is smooth and so is the transmission, no bearing failures here, despite an abusive previous owner. I have had an issue with the driver side window falling down into the channel: a piece of the window sealing rubber had been pinched inside the channel. Toyota replaced it no problems. The storage capacity is where its at; it is a Camry chassis with 3-4x the amount of storage space. Has been a very reliable and economical ride for myself

Favorite Features

Fun car to drive! It doesn't have a lot of oomph during mountain driving, but certainly does the job and great on the street. Easy to park, and handles well. I think the fuel mileage is the real kicker. Im getting better mileage than most cars in its class, no problems.

Suggested Improvements

The interior can get beat up if you abuse it! I've replaced the stereo, and my power window button covers are fairly loose, but Toyota really can't be blamed for this. This is an economy car, if you abuse it and beat up on fragile interior areas they will break.

Advice
By ready

2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am currently dealing with nightmare of the 2003 AWD Matrix. I do have a warranty. I am looking in to my rights under the lemon law. It seems to me that these cars are coming up with the same transmission problems and the transmission is different in the AWD then from other Matrix's that the trans is Faulty. And Toyota should be responsible. If anyone feels the same way or has any advice for me post on this forum ill be looking out. Thank you

Favorite Features

It does haul things really well.

Suggested Improvements

Do not buy a 2003 AWD!

No problems yet
By Scott

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my car with 85,000 miles on it from the dealership almost 3 years ago. It now has 116,000-17,000 miles on it and i haven't had any issues yet. I keep up with all maintenance. She has never let me down yet, and I have a lot of future plans for her.

Favorite Features

Overall I like just about everything about the car, it is comfortable, drives smoothly. I really like the 8200 rpm limit and the cam change over.

Suggested Improvements

Improve lower end power/ torque (takeoffs) and smoothen out the shifts. It doesn't slip into gear nice and easily, you have to put a little muscle into it.

Not your parents Toyota
By Last Toyota

2003 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was our first new car purchase, and given our extensive Toyota experience (5 previous used Toyotas), we were expecting much. The flexibility of a 64/40 fold-flat rear seat with solid plastic cargo liner was outstanding. So too was the fold-forward passenger seats, which extend the size of possible cargo to 8' in length! Unfortunately the other aspects of the car weren't panning out so well. To summarize, performance, economy, fit-and-finish, trouble free driving, and fun to drive quotients were just not living up to the claims. After repeated problems with MAP sensors and various parts breaking repeatedly, if fell out of love. Now 7 years old, I've seen enough of my last Toyota.

Favorite Features

Cargo configuration and interior room are excellent. The split rear folds flat and has included cargo tie-down points. This car can move an incredible amount of stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Poor build quality: Exterior door handles break off regularly (common problem, try a web search). 3 MAP sensors replaced under warranty. Cheap interior trim, painted parts scratch easily, other parts fall off. Stereo died at 3 years. Anemic acceleration with 30% less mileage than claimed.

fun and practical
By AJ

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Ive had this car for two years now. im pushing 100,000 miles. my dad bought this car and then i bought it from him. we have never had a single mechanical failure. this car has been in 8 accidents and will refuse to be totaled. the best part is the fuel economy mixed with the fun to drive factor. its low to the ground with stiff independent front and rear suspension. its almost too low though. ive scraped on anything from parking blocks to speed bumps. Very fun to drive and very upgradable. it only has 13hp stock but with a little tuning and performance parts it is now pushing an easy 200hp. not good pickup at low end but it makes up for it on the top of the rpm. perfect for a first car

Favorite Features

fun to drive, smooth shifting, cargo space with seats down, very good travel car, nice 17" alloys, gas mileage (29city, 36 hwy), good looking car too

Suggested Improvements

absolutely horrible in the snow, a little too low to the ground, shifter is in a weird spot but got used to it after a while, noisy in cabin, lacks some low end power, leather option would be nice