Used 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

No problems yet
By Scott

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my car with 85,000 miles on it from the dealership almost 3 years ago. It now has 116,000-17,000 miles on it and i haven't had any issues yet. I keep up with all maintenance. She has never let me down yet, and I have a lot of future plans for her.

Overall I like just about everything about the car, it is comfortable, drives smoothly. I really like the 8200 rpm limit and the cam change over.

Improve lower end power/ torque (takeoffs) and smoothen out the shifts. It doesn't slip into gear nice and easily, you have to put a little muscle into it.

Very versatile
By Thomas Howe

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car was a great all 'round vehicle. Had great power for a four banger. The power surge felt great after 600 RPMs, enabling the driver to pass lickety-split. The boxy design took getting used to, but grew to love it. The 6 speed tranny was notchy, but I grew accustomed to it. Very good gas mileage considering the power, lower 30s on road. Great reliability. Had a ton of room when back seat was down, and the back was easy to clean, 'cause it was plastic instead of carpeted. Seats very comfy, even on long trips. Only reason I got rid of it was because of high payments and I needed an AWD vehicle. Still miss it.

The engine, room, gas economy and versatility

The front spoiler was too lower. On more than one ocassion, it came partially off when it scraped a parking lot barrier. Fortunately it was cheap to put back on.

Great multi-functional car
By Scotch

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Great car! 4 cyl engine with plenty of passing power. Back seats and passenger seat fold down enough to haul nearly anything I've needed including a full sheet of plywood and other lumber. The only down side to the sport model is that it requires 93 octane gas, though, I get approx 28 mpg.

Fold down seats and cargo net for groceries.

Best of both worlds
By Thomas Howe

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Not too many cars that go from 0- 60 in 7 seconds, yet get 32 mpg on the road. Also, the fact that there's lots of room in back with the seats folded down is a major plus. Are you reading this, bicyclist and skiers? It handles great and is a pleasure to drive long distances. I regularly took 1000 mile round trip drives and it never missed a beat. The extra kick pas 6000 RPMs is addicting. It looks cooler the longer you have it, with all of the ground effects, but that did have its down side. The front spoilers were too low and I was always scraping them on curbs, sometimes damaging them. I would have kept it, but decided to get a 4X4 SUV for the Wisconsin winters. I miss the gas mileage.

The power, fuel economy, apearance, room, comfort, reliability.

The tranny was too stiff and notchy, which I got used to eventually. The front spoiler was too easily damaged because of its low height. And the beeping sound when I put it in reverse drove me nuts! I tried to have it silenced, but the process was too pricey.

Say goodbye to your SUV
By Clarke

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

When I first started looking for a replacement for my SUV, I only looked at sport luxury cars. I was already spoiled with powerful acceleration, leather seats and smooth handling, I just wanted something easier on the gas mileage. One drive in a fiery Matrix XRS changed my perception. It has just as much space as my SUV, as well as the handling, gas mileage and features of a luxury car. Additionally, the XRS model puts out 180hp in a 6 speed manual which provides more than enough power for me. This car looks great inside and out, the gauges are set back into the dash for a very sporty feel. I absolutely love this car.

6 disc CD changer, acceleration between 5000-8100 RPM, lots of headroom back and front (I'm 6'2), loud engine (not for the shy, quiet type).

With the 6 speed manual, the reverse is all the way on the left side, and it beeps at you while it's in gear (better set up would be the WRX's slot 6 reverse); also a meaner front (I love the front of the 2008 xD).