2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Hit the jackpot
By opinroad84 on 06/10/14 06:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Matrix, new, in Sept '02 and since then have only put 52K on it. I have done all of the routine maintenance and have only ever had to replace the serpentine belt a few times and one brake light bulb. This car has been more reliable than I ever could have hoped for. Plus, it has great cargo capacity. I can load it with dozens of bags of mulch, or a week's worth of camping gear. Even my 29 inch mountain bike fits in the back with the seats down. I will admit, on long drives the seating position can become annoying, but bring a small pillow or something and you can go for hours, plus, you won't need to stop for gas often! Avg MPG, 30 in summer, 26 in winter.

Just a great value vehicle
By bzzd on 04/17/13 11:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our 2003 Matrix used in 2005. It had just over 20K km on the clock. It now has 260K. It has really been trouble free motoring - replaced 2 wheel bearings otherwise only routine maintenance. It has maintained a very adequate fuel economy. We love this vehicle so much that we are buying a 2013 model with as close as possible the features of our present one. Everything still works fine.

Not your parents Toyota
By Last Toyota on 08/06/10 09:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was our first new car purchase, and given our extensive Toyota experience (5 previous used Toyotas), we were expecting much. The flexibility of a 64/40 fold-flat rear seat with solid plastic cargo liner was outstanding. So too was the fold-forward passenger seats, which extend the size of possible cargo to 8' in length! Unfortunately the other aspects of the car weren't panning out so well. To summarize, performance, economy, fit-and-finish, trouble free driving, and fun to drive quotients were just not living up to the claims. After repeated problems with MAP sensors and various parts breaking repeatedly, if fell out of love. Now 7 years old, I've seen enough of my last Toyota.

Transmission problem
By dvance on 08/27/09 05:33 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 5-speed only has just over 77,000 miles on it and the bearings in the transmission are going. I bought a Toyota specifically to have a long- lasting, good car. I called Toyota customer service and got the same story about not taking it to a dealership for routine maintenance so they couldn't help me if the car hadn't been properly maintained.

So far so good
By highlama on 07/26/09 12:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Matrix about two months ago with 175,000 miles on it for my daily 400 mile courier route and it's been great - so far. Since a 200 mile leg allows me to drive at only 55 mph, I net almost 33 mpg across the entire route - which is better than I expected. The car rides great, runs smooth, and shifts easily so it's been a pleasure to drive.

Manual trans is a piece of junk
By mhlaur on 07/13/09 05:43 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My manual transmission fell apart at 5 mths past warranty in 2007 as have many others since. You'll find plenty of posts on this website under Matrix Transmission Problems. Do not under any circumstances buy a used 2003 or 2004 manual transmission Matrix or you will sadly pay the price at around 60-100,000 miles. The transmission has been proven to have a faulty bearing which of course Toyota will not admit and take responsibility for. I had Toyotas from 1990-2007 and will never own another one in the next 50y.

Poor Toyota support. Very poor traction.
By Will Keith on 01/13/09 10:19 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Our 2003 Matrix, only 58,454 km. Alternator dead. Car is past the 5 year warranty period. However, alternators - especially on Toyotas - should last longer than 58,454 km. Toyota Canada says replacing alternator not covered, even at this low mileage. Toyota suggested I pay a Toyota dealer to check the system officially, but admitted they likely won't help us out on this anyway. Replace with a rebuilt - not new - alternator is over $500. The fact that we have 5 Toyotas in our family didn't seem to matter: the person on the phone just kept reading from the policy manual.

Toyota is not reliable anymore!!!
By Julie on 12/24/08 09:48 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Fantastic for the first 3 years. Fits a bunch of stuff, comfy to drive long distance, stylish, and great fuel economy. After 3 years our driver's side window totally broke, not related to the recall. Fixable, but only with a new door. We are living without working window. Then at 95,000 miles our engine blew a rod and needs to be totally replaced. WHAT!?!? Warranty only went to 60,000 miles and despite the fact that we maintained the car properly Toyota refuses to take responsibility for the bad build - acting like it is normal for cars to die this young. We expected to drive this for 250,000 miles based on reputation. Well, Toyota is bunk in our book. Honda here we come.

Needs improvements
By RA on 07/30/06 01:11 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Cool car ! Deceiving looks!! Good for singles, small family. Underpowered a little bit. Weak suspension?

Workhorse after 4 years
By Mr. Tae on 07/23/06 07:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a car to haul ~ 1000 lbs of equipment daily and the Matrix doesn't disappoint. Mileage ave 33 +/- 5 mpg, troublefree at 4 years old. Interiors are Ikea appearance and quality, soft plastic easily damaged otherwise looks 'durable.' Chrome trim is paint on plastic. Gauges hard to see in bright sunlight. Perfect student, starter, delivery, taxi fleet car. Nimble, easy to drive. Blind spots on rear fixable via adjusting side mirrors. Comfortable enough for 1000 mi one way drives. Adequately powered, can be floored to leap from entrance ramps, shut aircon for best torque. Poor traction from stock tires on bad roads.