2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
No problems yet
By Scott on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my car with 85,000 miles on it from the dealership almost 3 years ago. It now has 116,000-17,000 miles on it and i haven't had any issues yet. I keep up with all maintenance. She has never let me down yet, and I have a lot of future plans for her.

Very versatile
By Thomas Howe on 07/23/08 11:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car was a great all 'round vehicle. Had great power for a four banger. The power surge felt great after 600 RPMs, enabling the driver to pass lickety-split. The boxy design took getting used to, but grew to love it. The 6 speed tranny was notchy, but I grew accustomed to it. Very good gas mileage considering the power, lower 30s on road. Great reliability. Had a ton of room when back seat was down, and the back was easy to clean, 'cause it was plastic instead of carpeted. Seats very comfy, even on long trips. Only reason I got rid of it was because of high payments and I needed an AWD vehicle. Still miss it.

Great multi-functional car
By Scotch on 06/08/08 12:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Great car! 4 cyl engine with plenty of passing power. Back seats and passenger seat fold down enough to haul nearly anything I've needed including a full sheet of plywood and other lumber. The only down side to the sport model is that it requires 93 octane gas, though, I get approx 28 mpg.

Best of both worlds
By Thomas Howe on 12/12/07 21:14 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Not too many cars that go from 0- 60 in 7 seconds, yet get 32 mpg on the road. Also, the fact that there's lots of room in back with the seats folded down is a major plus. Are you reading this, bicyclist and skiers? It handles great and is a pleasure to drive long distances. I regularly took 1000 mile round trip drives and it never missed a beat. The extra kick pas 6000 RPMs is addicting. It looks cooler the longer you have it, with all of the ground effects, but that did have its down side. The front spoilers were too low and I was always scraping them on curbs, sometimes damaging them. I would have kept it, but decided to get a 4X4 SUV for the Wisconsin winters. I miss the gas mileage.

Say goodbye to your SUV
By Clarke on 10/26/07 09:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

When I first started looking for a replacement for my SUV, I only looked at sport luxury cars. I was already spoiled with powerful acceleration, leather seats and smooth handling, I just wanted something easier on the gas mileage. One drive in a fiery Matrix XRS changed my perception. It has just as much space as my SUV, as well as the handling, gas mileage and features of a luxury car. Additionally, the XRS model puts out 180hp in a 6 speed manual which provides more than enough power for me. This car looks great inside and out, the gauges are set back into the dash for a very sporty feel. I absolutely love this car.

Jill's 5-speed Matrix XRS
By jill112 on 11/30/06 15:06 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

As a first-time Toyota owner, I was looking for a surrogate Honda Civic wagon. I'm extemely disappointed in the quality--the transmission has already failed, requiring a $1300 repair. I had required maintenance performed ever since purchasing the car new, primarily by the dealership. While the car has a lot of potential, I will never buy another Toyota; anyone looking for a Matrix may want to avoid a 2003 manual transmission model.

My Matrix Jewel
By lover of the Lord on 09/17/06 19:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The Matrix I purchased has been a complete joy for me to own. I have had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. The only thing i had happen with the car is to bottom out in a pot hole and mess up my front bumper. Other than that I'd buy another one, no questions asked, unless they were to make changes to it that I didn't like.

Best car I have driven
By Beulah on 08/09/06 05:28 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love this car. My husband and I went out West last year. We drove our Matrix there and back. We drove over 4,000 miles. We got 32 miles to a gallon of gas. It was very comfortable and we enjoyed our trip in this car.

A cowboy car
By Bearcat on 07/29/06 08:13 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I didn't know what I was getting into buying a used high performance car. The shift/clutch was so difficult I had to go back and get lessons from a mechanic (after 42 years of driving stick). Then I had to get new brakes and new tires (costing twice as much as for a standard Matrix), because the previous owner in Jersey had apparently driven fast and slammed on the brakes a lot. I am concerned that in the not-too-distant future I'll be forced to replace the clutch to the tune of $700. So even though it's cute and fun to drive, I'm seriously considering turning it in on a "regular" (not sporty) Matrix.

Car of the year
By capt.jack on 06/16/06 16:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Excellent car, runs well on freeways. City is a little rough (pot holes).