Used 2003 Toyota Matrix XR Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Excellent buy, fine build from Toyota
By crpbdb

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased at 90K, have put about 6k on it since, including several long drive up I-5. Fuel economy is wonderful, I average more like 30 on the street and 32-35 highway. Of course the interior is a little cheap, but its a Toyota, not a Lexus. The clutch is smooth and so is the transmission, no bearing failures here, despite an abusive previous owner. I have had an issue with the driver side window falling down into the channel: a piece of the window sealing rubber had been pinched inside the channel. Toyota replaced it no problems. The storage capacity is where its at; it is a Camry chassis with 3-4x the amount of storage space. Has been a very reliable and economical ride for myself

Favorite Features

Fun car to drive! It doesn't have a lot of oomph during mountain driving, but certainly does the job and great on the street. Easy to park, and handles well. I think the fuel mileage is the real kicker. Im getting better mileage than most cars in its class, no problems.

Suggested Improvements

The interior can get beat up if you abuse it! I've replaced the stereo, and my power window button covers are fairly loose, but Toyota really can't be blamed for this. This is an economy car, if you abuse it and beat up on fragile interior areas they will break.

fun and practical
By AJ

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Ive had this car for two years now. im pushing 100,000 miles. my dad bought this car and then i bought it from him. we have never had a single mechanical failure. this car has been in 8 accidents and will refuse to be totaled. the best part is the fuel economy mixed with the fun to drive factor. its low to the ground with stiff independent front and rear suspension. its almost too low though. ive scraped on anything from parking blocks to speed bumps. Very fun to drive and very upgradable. it only has 13hp stock but with a little tuning and performance parts it is now pushing an easy 200hp. not good pickup at low end but it makes up for it on the top of the rpm. perfect for a first car

Favorite Features

fun to drive, smooth shifting, cargo space with seats down, very good travel car, nice 17" alloys, gas mileage (29city, 36 hwy), good looking car too

Suggested Improvements

absolutely horrible in the snow, a little too low to the ground, shifter is in a weird spot but got used to it after a while, noisy in cabin, lacks some low end power, leather option would be nice

All around impressive
By DocG

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 55k miles on it 5 years ago, now with 107k. The only problems I ever had with it was the AC relay malfunctioning. With a quick jump on the internet reading about similar problems it was easily repaired with very little expense, the occasional wheel shaking and pulling corrected by an alignment. It gets great MPG, I average 29 city and 30-35 hwy. Decent power for a 1.8L. My wife of 4'11" has no difficulty driving or seeing out of. Lots of room, sporty look and feel with a classification code of a wagon(cheaper insurance). Very versatile, extremely reliable, good on long drives. A great all around vehicle. Perfect for first time drivers.

Favorite Features

MPG, spacious interior, sporty looks, that cool little 120v outlet, auto lights and of course the reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Raising the front spoiler by a couple of inches.

Spoiler is very low
By Nutan Jha

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Pros: I bought Toyota Matrix because of its hatchback feature to transport kids back and forth from their college dorm. It is roomy and has lots of space inside. Cons: The spoiler is too low and I always hit and scratch it during parking. Not only that the spoiler is just a clip on and it keeps popping out. I am very disappointed due to that. I was traveling on one of the busiest bridge in New York at night and I felt I drove on something, later when I stopped at a gas station I discovered that the right spoiler was missing and the left spoiler was hanging out. I had to stop at a gas station to tie a string to it.

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully, Toyota has taken care of this low spoiler and clip on spoiler problem.

Matrix Rocks
By teebone

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I get lots of looks in this sporty car, and on my first long-distance trip (2400 miles) I got 40 MPG! It corners/handles well, has great brakes, and I was getting scratch in third gear at two years old. Amazing power for fast starts and getaways. I had seven Hondas before getting this Toyota, but I don't think I could go back to Honda. I had to replace the air filter located under the glove compartment, and debated about going to the dealer. However, it was only a few dollars and I was shocked!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage! I get 36 in town if I keep it below 40-45 mph or keep the RPM under 2000. I turn the A/C off when going up hills, and coast down long hills, and I coast around corners if possible. Visibility is great; I love the folding seats and leg room front n back. Air n heat work great, too.

Suggested Improvements

Softer fabric material for the seats? This car is so nice and comfortable. I can't think of much I would improve. Maybe make it in a larger model, not much larger, but maybe wider and a teeny weeny bit longer. How's dat? =:o