2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Excellent buy, fine build from Toyota
By crpbdb on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased at 90K, have put about 6k on it since, including several long drive up I-5. Fuel economy is wonderful, I average more like 30 on the street and 32-35 highway. Of course the interior is a little cheap, but its a Toyota, not a Lexus. The clutch is smooth and so is the transmission, no bearing failures here, despite an abusive previous owner. I have had an issue with the driver side window falling down into the channel: a piece of the window sealing rubber had been pinched inside the channel. Toyota replaced it no problems. The storage capacity is where its at; it is a Camry chassis with 3-4x the amount of storage space. Has been a very reliable and economical ride for myself

fun and practical
By AJ on 02/15/10 09:03 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Ive had this car for two years now. im pushing 100,000 miles. my dad bought this car and then i bought it from him. we have never had a single mechanical failure. this car has been in 8 accidents and will refuse to be totaled. the best part is the fuel economy mixed with the fun to drive factor. its low to the ground with stiff independent front and rear suspension. its almost too low though. ive scraped on anything from parking blocks to speed bumps. Very fun to drive and very upgradable. it only has 13hp stock but with a little tuning and performance parts it is now pushing an easy 200hp. not good pickup at low end but it makes up for it on the top of the rpm. perfect for a first car

All around impressive
By DocG on 02/05/09 02:09 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 55k miles on it 5 years ago, now with 107k. The only problems I ever had with it was the AC relay malfunctioning. With a quick jump on the internet reading about similar problems it was easily repaired with very little expense, the occasional wheel shaking and pulling corrected by an alignment. It gets great MPG, I average 29 city and 30-35 hwy. Decent power for a 1.8L. My wife of 4'11" has no difficulty driving or seeing out of. Lots of room, sporty look and feel with a classification code of a wagon(cheaper insurance). Very versatile, extremely reliable, good on long drives. A great all around vehicle. Perfect for first time drivers.

Spoiler is very low
By Nutan Jha on 11/25/08 15:18 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Pros: I bought Toyota Matrix because of its hatchback feature to transport kids back and forth from their college dorm. It is roomy and has lots of space inside. Cons: The spoiler is too low and I always hit and scratch it during parking. Not only that the spoiler is just a clip on and it keeps popping out. I am very disappointed due to that. I was traveling on one of the busiest bridge in New York at night and I felt I drove on something, later when I stopped at a gas station I discovered that the right spoiler was missing and the left spoiler was hanging out. I had to stop at a gas station to tie a string to it.

Matrix Rocks
By teebone on 06/30/08 20:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I get lots of looks in this sporty car, and on my first long-distance trip (2400 miles) I got 40 MPG! It corners/handles well, has great brakes, and I was getting scratch in third gear at two years old. Amazing power for fast starts and getaways. I had seven Hondas before getting this Toyota, but I don't think I could go back to Honda. I had to replace the air filter located under the glove compartment, and debated about going to the dealer. However, it was only a few dollars and I was shocked!

Fun Car
By commuter515 on 06/21/08 07:09 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Very fun car to drive, tons of room, lots of great features not found on comparable cars: the hatch glass opens independently of hatch, wall type outlet, auto sensing lights, passenger seat folds flat, etc. Great mpg, I commute 120 miles a day, all highway, I average 33 mpg at 70 mph. Acceleration stinks but this is not a sports car, it's a wagon. Like a car, it is not perfect - I currently have 130,000 miles, cat converter went bad at 120K, locks are starting to fail - they do not respond to keychain. AC condensation hose came loose under dash and passenger side carpet got soaked (everyone thought it was the sunroof but it wasn't). But still an awesome car.

Unreliable, poor quality
By jamesimcb on 12/06/07 00:54 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I raved about this car when i first got it. But after a transmission failure at 130,000 km's I am very disappointed. Fuel economy has gone down ever since. many rattles in the car. failed caliper. toyota cost over 800 dollars. The premium you pay for a toyota is no longer worth it. Buy north american and save some money as Toyota's quality has gone down hill!

No need to even look at the '09
By Cignal on 12/03/07 16:01 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have the original '03 XR, loaded, nav, sunroof, 18 inch wheels. Looks great. But the best thing is the mileage. Consistently well over 30 mpg. On a trip to San Diego from Huntington Beach, all freeway, all cruise control, very flat-land trip, right lane, 52 mph, this beauty gave me 41.3 mpg. Not typical, but true. Came w/ factory navigation + 6 CD changer; still cost just over 19K. Great for making service calls and hauling Home Depot stuff. A little weak on HP; I'd rather have the MPG anyway. Had to replace a faulty nav, sunroof motor, both under warranty. No reason to even look at the '09s. Only neg is the inst panel: hard to read in bright sunlight; remedy is to replace all gauges.

Great car except for the transmission :(
By tuxristo on 07/04/07 20:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have found it to have just enough power, just enough size. I can fit anything in it. It's very comfortable on long trips. The manual transmission makes it nice to drive, since the engine is a bit small, but the great gas mileage more than makes up for it. But I don't trust it. Since the transmission failed at 108,000km with no explanation from Toyota, I am always worried that it will fail again, or that some other bearings will fail and leave me stranded, so for the last six months it's been stressful to take this car on a longer trip. There's nothing worse than not "trusting" your car! All in all, I love my Matrix, but I don't trust it.

Toyota Matrix review
By bobbyb on 06/30/07 19:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Very good gas mileage. Very cheap to maintain. Can fit a surprising amount of things into the spacious "trunk". It is essentially a Corolla with a hatchback.