Used 2005 Toyota Land Cruiser Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Land Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (19 reviews )

Fundamentally the Best
By IJP

2005 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased it in the summer of 2005 and have taken it on cross country trip, over endless NYC potholes and off road. It is smooth, refined, has great visibility and extremely comfortable front row seating. The engine, the shifting and all other mechanical features appear flawless.

Never had a single problem with it. Nothing. NB, I looked at Range Rovers (then $25k more) and the LX 470 (then $9k more). Looking now, used car value of the Range Rover is the same as the Land Cruiser and the LX 470 is only $2k more - so the extra cash would have virtually evaporated over time.

memory seats; more intuitive climate and audio controls. The GPS software seems to be lost more frequently than I'd like - but I haven't updated the software.

Smooth Ride, and Build Like a Tank
By S. Robert Hitchcock

2005 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought our LC in the winter of 2005 and had Toyota not made the new ones look like overgrown Highlanders we would have bought a new one. This is the single best vehicle I have ever owned. I have driven it as a commuter, on long road trips, and even camped in it and it has exceeded expectations in every scenario. I also love the interior appointments, and the stateliness of the exterior styling, and think of it as everything the Range Rover should be without the constant trips to the shop. With more than 5 years of ownership the only times it has been in the shop have been to repair body damaged caused by my wife's impatience, and routine maintenance.

Soft leather interior, back-up camera, removable third row, and ample storage.

I am sad to admit that my Mercedes SLK has more HP, this should be changed.

Super nice, a world standard
By Dolphstar

2005 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was bitten by the Land Cruiser bug after being taking on a sand dune ride in Dubai, UAE. It was amazing. Quiet and smooth on the freeway and unstoppable offroad. Since then I have seen them in action in Oman, Pakistan, and Ethiopia where they are used by the United Nations. My own LC leads an easy life compared to those vehicles. I am now spoiled by the ride, handling, stability and quality of it. I've had it 1.5 years and enjoy it just much as now as the first day I got it. So far oil changes and tire rotations are the only service it has required. I happen to like the truckish body style. It is what it is and not a wannabe sport car, SUV, station wagon, crossover mishmash.

Truck like style, seats, backup cam (has already saved one cat's life), Bluetooth, GPS (but see improvements) back seat room and size, visibility (a big plus over many SUVs), quietness (incredible), stability and traction control. Great air conditioning in Texas heat but marginal auto temp control.

Auto temp control is generally whacky. GPS does not display all available info. For example you cannot see your exact compass heading or altitude, my cheap handheld GPS shows both. GPS directions can be "the scenic route". Voice command, well I don't think anyone has managed to get that to work.

Outstanding Build
By Ivan

2005 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The car drives and runs so smoothly and is so tight and handles so well in all conditions: snow covered roads; pouring rain; highway driving; driving on dirt roads, etc., it really gives me great comfort. The reliability and ruggedness makes me feel like my car will be the last car on the road to break down.

Build. Reliability and ruggedness.

A little more horsepower, maybe.

Great Vehicle
By Rob Karas

2005 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is by far the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. I have owned Mercedes, Jeeps, Hondas and Toyotas in the past but never a Land Cruiser. The other day I was at an outdoor festival and we parked in the grass. It started to pour down rain and soaked everything. When we were leaving there were lots of SUVs which were spinning there wheels in mud and the grass, but we had no problem in the grassy field or going through the mud. The best part was that I didn't even have to switch to 4 wheel drive since it is in it full time. I love this vehicle.

Sunroof, cdplayer and dvd player. I like the fact that when we leave the car the DvD player picks up right where the kids movie was when we shut the car off. The Nav system is nice too. Finally I like the fact that I do not have to adjust my rear view mirror at nighttime

Better cup holders underneath the center console. Placement of DvD player(or a DvD player which can hold multiple discs). The ability for the driver to put windows up or down when the power lock is on. Currently if the lock is on, nobody can open or close the passenger windows.