2003 Toyota Land Cruiser Consumer Review: I Hate this Car!

2003 Toyota Land Cruiser - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic)

I Hate this Car!
By Carol on

2003 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The engineer who did the interior layout of this car should be fired! It is the most random placement of the rear A/C controls (above and behind the left rear seat?!). The Navigation system told me to make a u-turn and then after 100 yards told me to make a u-turn again! It shows me on roads I'm not even on! The voice activate button doesn't work! The rear seats fold up in a complex non-user friendly way and then to hold them up you hook a strap to the overhead handle! This SUV is so OVERPRICED! You can't get tires for this thing because they are 18" wheels! It's got too much body roll! The tailgate makes it imposible to reach in the back!!

Favorite Features

It's green

Suggested Improvements

Back to the drawing board with some notes from Honda!
By mikkous
on 04/02/15 11:15 AM (PDT)

Clearly you bought the wrong vehicle and [non-permissible content removed]. I love my Land Cruiser so much that I feel compelled to write a review of this review... AC controls are out of the way when you stow gear in the back, not being kicked by children or pushed by camping gear. An adult can easily reach them or you can by-pass and control via the front dashboard. Regarding the NAV... are you driving on the correct side of the street? I've never had issues with mine. Voice activation? You do have to turn it on and then speak... it's not magic. I love the rear seats! They lock in place and the strap is to hold them silently in place for when you are driving over challenging terrain. Tires: I've never had a problem... try somewhere other than WallMart. Body roll? Try properly inflating your tires. Keep in mind it is not a car. Compare it to any other SUV in the world and I assure you this is one well-done machine. Overpriced? Yeah, it's expensive but compare it to any other vehicle in the world for resale value as % of initial investment + repair bills over 5, 10, 15, 25+ years and it draws better than a checking account. The tailgate is just that... a tailgate! My kids and I love sitting on it while camping or just grabbing ice-cream. Having the top portion go up adds protection from gentle rain / sun. It's perfect! We use it as a table for fishing gear and many other times. We've even made a tent that wraps around the top hatch and bottom tailgate for rustic camping when we sleep in the back. btw, the second row seat fold up and the floor is actually flat so you can sleep in it! It's not a minivan... we've outgrown the usefulness of a minivan. Yeah, I cannot reach in the back very well if the tailgate is down since I'm only 5'7" but I put shopping bags in the second row or in the very back and reach over the tailgate. I think you bought this vehicle because it is expensive and you wanted to keep up with the Jones's not because you had any idea of what you were buying. Go trade it for a Sienna...