Used 2003 Toyota Land Cruiser Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Land-cruiser - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (42 reviews )

15 years and 215k miles and still like new!
By mikkous

2003 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I'm getting to where some pieces need to be replaced but they are all original! The factory muffler lasted to 189k miles! I used to go through a car every 3-4 months (Mercedes CLK, Mini Cooper S, Suburban, 4Runner, Subaru(s)) but just love this vehicle! At 15 years old it still feels like new and is as comfortable as the old t-shirt my wife hates me to wear. This vehicle is not for everyone... it's big. It's bullet-proof. The suspension is remarkable and you barely feel what you're driving over. Huge pot holes or 4 feet of snow are no issue. With sunshine I open the large sunroof and windows and enjoy the day. I'm thinking of buying a spare for when this one actually breaks!

Favorite Features

tailgate, sunroof, leather seats (quality materials overall), ride, fit, finish, inexpensive to repair. limited numbers on the streets. Ability to drive off road, hang with the red-necks and get it all muddy... wash it off and drive to an elegant affair and it is accepted anywhere. Any year Land Cruiser is well loved anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Import the diesel.

Land Tank
By darko

2003 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Waited 10 years to buy this. This SUV is simply amazing. Go anywhere performance and enough class to hit the clubs in Scottsdale. I've driven in 3 ft of snow, deep mud, rock fields and through streams... never, ever been worried about getting stuck. It is still as rattle and squeak free as the first day I drove it home. I plan to hang on to it for many years to come.

Favorite Features

engine and reliability

Suggested Improvements

none

Always wanted one
By Dave

2003 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded every 12 to 18 months trying to be happy with something less than a Land Cruiser. Finally I bought one new, a big chunk of cash for us. But we love the truck. Had it 5 years now and look to trade, but can't give it up. I fell so secure when I put my family in her. I have blizzacks for the 18 wheels and have drive through blizzards, never spinning a wheel. We love our gray Cruiser.

Favorite Features

Full time 4x4, handling is great. Comfort for driver and passengers is outstanding. Almost 3 ton vehicle and every air bag you can get is security.

Suggested Improvements

Better 3rd row seating for $60K vehicle

Land Cruiser Legend
By Maximiliano Valencia

2003 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I'm from Venezuela, and this is the best suv you can have in this country, it manages everything, here a normal street is an off road challenge, but the land cruiser pass through it. Excellent for hard conditions, you can find this suv from Africa to south america. From asia to middle east, is just great. You can never go wrong with a land cruiser.

Favorite Features

Reliability and the best performance under any circumstance.

Suggested Improvements

i don't know... that's up to you...

I Hate this Car!
By Carol

2003 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The engineer who did the interior layout of this car should be fired! It is the most random placement of the rear A/C controls (above and behind the left rear seat?!). The Navigation system told me to make a u-turn and then after 100 yards told me to make a u-turn again! It shows me on roads I'm not even on! The voice activate button doesn't work! The rear seats fold up in a complex non-user friendly way and then to hold them up you hook a strap to the overhead handle! This SUV is so OVERPRICED! You can't get tires for this thing because they are 18" wheels! It's got too much body roll! The tailgate makes it imposible to reach in the back!!

Favorite Features

It's green

Suggested Improvements

Back to the drawing board with some notes from Honda!