2001 Toyota Land Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (18 reviews )
Reliable, but ergonomic problems
By Thorbro on 02/03/10 14:26 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this after owning a 2002 Yukon. Although I would imagine the reliability of the Toyota is better, the need for premium fuel on top of dismal fuel economy is annoying. Contrary to what another reviewer wrote, there are very few places to put things on the console, so sunglasses and stuff just hang around the shifters. I am 6'3" and there is insufficient leg room for a vehicle this size. Also, the fold down rear seat does not disappear like in the Yukon, blocking 1 1/2 feet of space - can't sleep in back On the plus side, the traction control is amazing and saved us from a half- way spin-out in the snow last year.

Cadillac of SUVs
By bougie on 06/21/07 16:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This car was the most expensive I've bought. A good replacement for a Chevy Suburban. I was initially disappointed with the booming bass of the sound system. At 30,000 mi they said the clicking noise wasn't a problem, but when warranty was out, it was recommended that the cracked manifold be repaired. Most recently a $1700 air conditioning repair, at 54k miles. All in all, I'd like a new one. Had 18 mpg on the hwy and felt secure driving in winter and great on long trips.

The Rolex of SUVs
By MFT on 04/09/07 03:50 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The TLC is the standard by which all SUVs are judged. Reliability, comfort, safety and durability for the long haul are superior to any other vehicle I've owned. The overall integrity of the TLC outweighs others in its class. We moved out of the minivan market into a large SUV to satisfy our family needs - performance & safety were tops on our list. After initial sticker shock, cost comparisons revealed the reasons behind the price tag. Driving confirms the value everytime we travel the Autobahn or Autostrada.

Best SUV on the road !
By Carlos Rodriguez on 12/29/06 12:56 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Iv'e owned 3 SUVs prior to the Land Cruiser, but this one has to be the most comfortable and refined SUV on the road. The handling and suspension are awesome, the quietness of the engine is amazing. The body style never looks outdated, always looks new. The controls are very easy to operate, offroad capabilites are far superior then any other SUV on the road, hands down. I've always wanted a Land Cruiser but the cost was out of my range. Now that I own one I will never go back to any domestic SUV. Yes it is a bit more expensive than other SUVs, and premium fuel is required, but believe me it's worth every penny.

My wife and I fight over the Keys
By Ruckus1 on 09/06/06 07:36 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle as a work truck/toy to hall various things for the house. My wife saw pictures of it and said it was to big&bulky and that I would not have to worry about her getting behind the wheel. After the first hour she suggested getting an extra key fob wich was priced at $240. She frowned when I folded the seats down and shoved a sink,counter and a power saw in the back. We absolutely adore this vehicle. its a joy to drive. We invite this winter season to do its worst.

Never has it failed!!
By vishnada on 01/14/06 15:31 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

One heck of a machine. Second generation user of LC. Never has it failed in the tropical jungles nor the concrete city driving.

The Best Suv
By Awesome!! by Dimi on 02/26/05 08:59 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd LC. I've got 98,000 miles on my 2001 and with no repairs! I even pull a horse trailer and a 1700 lb. clydesdale. This SUV is aweseome!! I plan on purchasing another one when I get to 150,000 miles. My car looks and drives like a new vehicle. In fact, many people mistake it for new. I just replaced the timing belt and brakes -- just maintenance. One of a kind!!!

SUV of choice
By Hector Campos on 02/15/05 16:16 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Previously owner of Range Rover. Performance and reliabilty of the Land Cruiser is far superior. The engine is strong, body has very nice profile and rides very smooth. Bought this vehicle because of outstanding performance & reliability of a new Camry we have and the quick decline of RR.

Truck Mother
By Windwood on 03/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Most solid and comfortable vehicle I've ever owned. Came w/third row seats that I removed. Minimal service needs. Fuel mileage typical for 5100 pound vehicle, 14 local, 18 on moderate speed trip. overall about 16. Slow frequency is too fast- Best one I ever had was in my old Mercedes- you could set it for a sweep once every 2 minutes if you liked. Ladies can have a bit of a struggle getting in but that's the price you pay for a 10" clearance. Road noise more noticeable w/winter tires.

The best!!!!!!!!!
By Mad Dan on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I test-drove and compared a lot of new and used SUVs and almost bought a fully- loaded 2003 Yukon XL 2500 LT with less than half the miles of the 2001 TLC that I recently purchased for the about the same price. My TLC is fun to drive and way better than a mini-van for family trips.