Used 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Land-cruiser - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (18 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Too much bass
By SK

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Great vehicle, so so gas mileage. has been pretty good on tire mileage and brake wear. What's up with the bass in the stereo? Been back to Toyota 3 times only to have the regional rep tell us the amp was replaced (was it the right one...dealer won't prove it) and this is normal... can't even listen to some radio stations it's so bad...sounds OK with the motor off.

Favorite Features

Traction control and ABS both work well...classic style body.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the stereo......

Reliable, but ergonomic problems
By Thorbro

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this after owning a 2002 Yukon. Although I would imagine the reliability of the Toyota is better, the need for premium fuel on top of dismal fuel economy is annoying. Contrary to what another reviewer wrote, there are very few places to put things on the console, so sunglasses and stuff just hang around the shifters. I am 6'3" and there is insufficient leg room for a vehicle this size. Also, the fold down rear seat does not disappear like in the Yukon, blocking 1 1/2 feet of space - can't sleep in back On the plus side, the traction control is amazing and saved us from a half- way spin-out in the snow last year.

Favorite Features

Reliable, nice style. Good traction control and smooth/quiet engine.

Suggested Improvements

Better window buttons (hard to control). Telescoping steerwheel column (this is an option I think). More trays on console. Regular gas.

Cadillac of SUVs
By bougie

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This car was the most expensive I've bought. A good replacement for a Chevy Suburban. I was initially disappointed with the booming bass of the sound system. At 30,000 mi they said the clicking noise wasn't a problem, but when warranty was out, it was recommended that the cracked manifold be repaired. Most recently a $1700 air conditioning repair, at 54k miles. All in all, I'd like a new one. Had 18 mpg on the hwy and felt secure driving in winter and great on long trips.

Favorite Features

Classy, quiet. No signs of body problems after 6 years in the snow belt. Pretty good turning radius for a big SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Needed better sound system for a $50-60,000 auto. Suspension and ride is a bit soft, but its nice when hitting big cracks in the roads in this area.

great vehicle!!!
By drcjj

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I now have about 54,000 miles on my 2001 landcruiser and I am very pleased with its overall performance. this is my 5th landcruiser and for each new car I have shopped the others out there and then returned to the Landcruiser for my purchase. This car climbs about anything, goes in the snow and mud like it doesn't exist and gets about 14 to 19 mpg to boot. Great family roadtrip car, reasonably quiet at 80mph on highways... nice stereo system too, great sound for a factory installed system, true audio quality, much better clarity and intelligability than those Bose systems hyped to be so hot in other cars.

Favorite Features

Reliable to the point of perfection, great power and torque. Excellent drivability in town, highway or off road, lots of cargo area with the extra rear seats removed. Nice looks too!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage would be a nice addition but not at the expense of power. Handling is fine but could be improved.

2002 Land Cruiser
By gu

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I just got my Land Cruiser. I love it!! Very comfortable and quiet. I love the looks from behind, nicer taillights than the Lexus 470.

Suggested Improvements

Power outside mirrorsfor folding , may a larger moonroof like the ones on the Isuzu Trooper.