Used 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (18 reviews )

Reliable, but ergonomic problems
By Thorbro

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this after owning a 2002 Yukon. Although I would imagine the reliability of the Toyota is better, the need for premium fuel on top of dismal fuel economy is annoying. Contrary to what another reviewer wrote, there are very few places to put things on the console, so sunglasses and stuff just hang around the shifters. I am 6'3" and there is insufficient leg room for a vehicle this size. Also, the fold down rear seat does not disappear like in the Yukon, blocking 1 1/2 feet of space - can't sleep in back On the plus side, the traction control is amazing and saved us from a half- way spin-out in the snow last year.

Reliable, nice style. Good traction control and smooth/quiet engine.

Better window buttons (hard to control). Telescoping steerwheel column (this is an option I think). More trays on console. Regular gas.

Cadillac of SUVs
By bougie

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This car was the most expensive I've bought. A good replacement for a Chevy Suburban. I was initially disappointed with the booming bass of the sound system. At 30,000 mi they said the clicking noise wasn't a problem, but when warranty was out, it was recommended that the cracked manifold be repaired. Most recently a $1700 air conditioning repair, at 54k miles. All in all, I'd like a new one. Had 18 mpg on the hwy and felt secure driving in winter and great on long trips.

Classy, quiet. No signs of body problems after 6 years in the snow belt. Pretty good turning radius for a big SUV.

Needed better sound system for a $50-60,000 auto. Suspension and ride is a bit soft, but its nice when hitting big cracks in the roads in this area.

The Rolex of SUVs
By MFT

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The TLC is the standard by which all SUVs are judged. Reliability, comfort, safety and durability for the long haul are superior to any other vehicle I've owned. The overall integrity of the TLC outweighs others in its class. We moved out of the minivan market into a large SUV to satisfy our family needs - performance & safety were tops on our list. After initial sticker shock, cost comparisons revealed the reasons behind the price tag. Driving confirms the value everytime we travel the Autobahn or Autostrada.

The drive is smooth, the ride quiet, sound system better than any home stereo, and the mid-row bench seat is as comfortable as the front bucket. Every accessory is reliable and routine maintenance (oil, filters, lubrication) easy. Defrost/defog are quick & effective despite Wx conditions.

Install a spare lightbulb holder in the glove box. Enlarge the cup holders in front to accommodate standard-sized, ceramic coffee mugs.

Best SUV on the road !
By Carlos Rodriguez

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Iv'e owned 3 SUVs prior to the Land Cruiser, but this one has to be the most comfortable and refined SUV on the road. The handling and suspension are awesome, the quietness of the engine is amazing. The body style never looks outdated, always looks new. The controls are very easy to operate, offroad capabilites are far superior then any other SUV on the road, hands down. I've always wanted a Land Cruiser but the cost was out of my range. Now that I own one I will never go back to any domestic SUV. Yes it is a bit more expensive than other SUVs, and premium fuel is required, but believe me it's worth every penny.

My favorite feature has to be the navigation system, it has helped me so much in finding places its an incredible tool to have. The heated seats are awesome in the winter, they really do work .

Suggested improvements have to be fuel consumption, it's not really good on gas and the premium fuel requirement does not help. Other than the fuel issue it's an amazing SUV!

My wife and I fight over the Keys
By Ruckus1

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle as a work truck/toy to hall various things for the house. My wife saw pictures of it and said it was to big&bulky and that I would not have to worry about her getting behind the wheel. After the first hour she suggested getting an extra key fob wich was priced at $240. She frowned when I folded the seats down and shoved a sink,counter and a power saw in the back. We absolutely adore this vehicle. its a joy to drive. We invite this winter season to do its worst.

I love suspension,power button,AWD,2ndstart,wireless DVD, pocket bins,rear air and heated seats. She enjoys the commanding view, easy to manuver,acceleration and suspension.

Im still thinking... She says the front 2 windows should have been tinted like the rest. And that it should come standard with a remote start.