Used 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Land-cruiser - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (35 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Practical, Reliable Truck
By bob

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

We've had this car for over 6 years now and it still looks and drives like new. We looked at other SUVs in 2000 but nothing compared to this one, and still nothing compares to this. The only problem we had with this is with the cd player and the brakes. Solid truck.

Favorite Features

Build quality, reliability, size, styling.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system, more room in third row/fold flat seats, gas mileage, more wood trim in the interior.

Going Strong
By EZK

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV in 2000 new. I knew it was expensive compared to other SUV's but my 1996 Chevy Tahoe stranded my family and I for the third time in VT and I was willing to pay more for reliability. Almost ten years later and this is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. 105,000 miles and it runs and rides like new. Unlike my newer VW Passat and the Tahoe predecessor, the TLC does not leak any engine oil or any other fluids on my garage floor to this day. Only negatives are 16 mpg (no matter how you drive); very expensive parts when they fail; awkward third row seat arrangement; chews through tires at the front end (latest Michelins are holding up better than others). Best SUV!

Favorite Features

Engine, drivetrain, VSC, interior room, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Improve third row seat arrangement. What's with the exhaust manifolds?

The Old Reliable
By mwhitted

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I have now owned my 2000 LC for 7 years; I bought it used with 54K miles. It now has 160K and still runs like the day I bought it. It does get only 16-17MPG tops, but gas mileage is not why I purchased. It is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned; it's solid, it's safe. I just picked up today from having routine maintenance; my mechanic says there is nothing wrong with it! Change the timing belt every 60K, change the oil every 4K, do a tune up every 75K, use Michelin's and they will drive forever. I have a friend with the same model with >300K and it still runs great! I have driven the Appalachians to the Tetons, on road, extreme off road and it has never let me down! Mine forever!

Favorite Features

Reliability, off road handling and performance, on road comfort

Great vehicle
By caribouowl

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the LC new in 2000 after owning and being disappointed with the quality of Chevy's for years. I did quite a bit of research and everything pointed to the LC for reliability and ruggedness. It has lived up to its reputation. I've used it for long trips, hauling stuff, going off road in the national forest in northern Minnesota, driving in heavy snow, etc. It is reliable and, after 10 years, runs like new. Have gotten 60K on the Michelin tires.

Favorite Features

Interior design, comfort, lots of window space with great visibility, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Spare tire not easy to access and jack/wrench kit is nearly impossible to re-install once it is taken out.

This car will never stop
By Sam

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

We've owned this car for over 8 years, it has never let us down. 151k miles and my guess is it could go twice that and still drive like the day we brought it home. My wife's only complaint is she wishes the steering wheel was adjustable. Put the original equipment Michelin tires on it... they will go 60k+ miles.

Favorite Features

The amount of room front, middle and rear.

Suggested Improvements

Adjustable steering wheel.