Used 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Land-cruiser - Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (28 reviews )

Most Helpful|
"Love this truck"
By voyager10

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I have been a toyota family for two decades now. Since I owned this landcruiser, I drove it from Southern California up to Alaska passing thru British Columbia and Yukon Territory. It never gives me a problem from those winding road of Oregon-Mt. Shasta to the hills of BC, Yukon and Alaska in all types of weather condition or on/off road.

Favorite Features

It seats confortably for seven without a whole bunch luggage at the back. I love the overdrive part of it where the power stores from it. Heated seats gives you warm drive during Alaska winter.

Suggested Improvements

I hope I can get 16-19 miles/gal instead of a 13-16.

Rock solid luxury vehicle
By Mental

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

This is an extremely reliable, comfortable, and useful vehicle. As close to maintenance free as any car you can own. Built like a tank, but rides like a Cadillac. After 10 years, all electronics and mechanics are working perfectly. Leather is holding up great. Unstoppable in snow and mud. I wish it got a little better than 13-14 mpg though. Still would never get rid of it. This thing will go 400k miles.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine. AWD that really works. Huge axles and drive train. Smooth transmission. Luxurious interior.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage please.

There is no other. . .
By sierra68

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

145K, engine/tranny never skips a beat, paint still looks 95% new, interior indestructible, tackles anything asked of it and at 10 years old, people still comment on how incredible it looks and can't believe it's a 99:) The fuel economy is poor but I'm guessing if you're looking at the Cruiser, you're more concerned with safety, ride quality, dependability, and bring me anywhere and return me safe-ability. It is, for lack of better wording, an incredible vehicle.

Favorite Features

The engine w/Flowmaster and K&N romps with the best of them and will take quite a few cars by surprise. Seats are soooo comfortable and if it can't climb over it, it will mash it with its nearly 3-ton weight.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension is a little soft compared to the 05+ models and there were no options for machine gun mounts, lol.

The best 4x4
By MP

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1999 Land Cruiser brand new with 4 miles on the odometer. This is the fifth Land Cruiser which I've owned; my previous Land Cruisers were: 1989, 1991, 1993 and 1996 models. My current 1999 Land Cruiser had 128,000 miles on it and every components function perfectly, it is a very reliable and good built 4x4. I've taken my Land Cruiser on many outing occasions with friends in off-road driving and it beat others 4x4 including Jeep and Range Rover models.

Favorite Features

Strong V-8 engine as compared to previous in-line 6 Land Cruiser engine. The best 4x4 available and solidly built. All original parts are still functioning.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger front and rear bumpers. A Ford pick-up rear ended my Land Cruiser and its front end collapsed totally and had to be towed away. My rear tail gate was dented a little bit but it is still drivable. No damages to other parts.

Best SUV ever made
By dscabicky

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

Comfortable on long highway drives yet will cover just about any bad terrain. Great vehicle in the snow. Plush interior. I bought this car with about 30K on the odo and now have about 100K. Still feel like new. Very few problems other than 02 sensors (2) and a couple of minor things. The power antenna tends to break but is cheap to fix. Stereo is not the greatest. Wood interior trim discolors with time. Beware, though, that if you do have a mechanical problem parts are outlandishly expensive. A new master key from the dealer runs $250.

Favorite Features

Handling in bad weather.

Suggested Improvements

Third row seats are a major pain to stow and deploy. Mileage is shamefully bad.