1999 Toyota Land Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (0 review )
Great truck, disappointed with quality
By Great Falls, VA on 06/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle used with about 60K miles and have driven about 12K so far. A part of my reason for buying a Landcruiser was its reputation for quality and reliability. The ride and feel of this truck are truly amazing and I really enjoy it. It fits my family well and provides for great comfort for my two kids and a nanny. I am, however, somewhat disappointed with the quality. During my one year of ownership, the radio antenna stopped working, the driver power seat cannot be adjusted up and down and I had to replace the starter. Considering that this is 70K mile car, not bad, perhaps, but I wonder what problems will appear next.

best I've had
By kfp on 12/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had almost 20 cars since I started driving almost 30 years ago, including BMW 5 series, 2 different Mercedes and an number of others, but this has been by far the best I've had. The comfort, the ride, the anti-snob factor (compared to those who pay extra for the Lexus), the solid feel and the reliability have all been a joy. Very few things I would improve - the only one that comes to mind is the sound system. It pales compared to the Infiniti system in my Mitsubishi Montero, but the rest of the pluses overcome this one disappointment. Def. recommend checking one out if you're in the market.

The Crusher
By dwity on 12/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

Great overall vehicle. strong, firm, plush, exudes confidence, safe. Its been great and it will do anything I ask of it. I've had a few problems which is not Toyota-like. climate control system went...brakes squeak and exhaust system rattles...Stereo weak..other than that, this thing will go anywhere, towing just about anything, in complete comfort, safety and luxury.

aptly named
By gunner12 on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

Rock solid chasis. bulletproof engine and drivetrain. Quiet and smooth V8. Flawless fit and finish, great paint color selections. Extreme comfort for all passengers. Brakes work well. Easy to service. Awesome snow traction. Decent highway gas mileage. Now have 54K miles still on original tires with 20K remaining on tread!

One Great SUV
By mrs.jones on 10/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this suv new and it has never been back to the dealer except for regular maintenace. I have 72,000miles on it and everyone who rides in it and drives it loves this suv.

What Else Do You Want?
By Jayhawk 89 on 09/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my first Land Cruiser, and I researched months before choosing it. Bought it as a Toyota-Certified w/ 50K miles on it, perfect condition, and paid barely over half of the cost of the original price when brand new. Other than the compromise in mileage as a full-sized SUV, this thing is as close to perfect as it gets. Any premium in price is totally justified in the performance, ride, luxury, and quality. If you're shopping, just stop right now, buck up, and get the best there is - the Land Cruiser is as good as it gets.

sorry american mades landcruiser smokes
By paintman on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

sweet classy ride have had over 18 cars and this is it.4 runner was nice but land cruiser is 5x the ride.jeeps not even close durango and expedition had to sell within 1 year couldnt spend all my time at the repair shops only ride as nice was 7 series BMW

It's the little things...
By LC lover? on 06/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my LC new and was thrilled. Now that it's four+ years old though, things are starting to go...the drivers seat creaks. The mirrors buffet in the wind. there's some vibration under the dash. I know...mabye my expectations are too high, but I didn't have this type of gripe with the 4Runner I owned for 7 years previous, for a fraction of the price I paid on the LC.

O2 Sensors Failure
By Kalyanam on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

Great vehicle, but at 40,000 Miles my O2 sensors failed and cost over $500 in parts and labor to fix. What happened to the fabled Toyota Quality?

Quietest Vehicle I've ever Owned !!!
By dkowalew on 05/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the quietest SUV I've ever owned. It's actually quieter than my old Infiniti and Mercedes SUV's...any it's twice as powerful. Scrap the stock tires and get a good set of Michelens for a suoerbly quiet ride. It's never been in the shop except for routine maintenance and it has 75,000 miles on it.