1998 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (23 reviews )
Love these things!
By Happy on 01/03/10 19:52 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Did the research in 2002, bought a 1998 TLC with 54,000 miles on it from a dealer that picked it up off auction as a lease return. This is one fantastic vehicle. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts in this case. The engine is not powerful by today's standards, but quite adequate. The cabin space is not enormous, but very comfortable. It will go anywhere, out climb the Hummers, leave the jeeps in the gullies, etc. Handles snow and ice like a dream, even on 13% grades in the mountains. Locking differentials are a great option. Maintenance cost in minimal; I put a starter in at about 100,000 miles. Like it so much I bought a 2nd one in 2006. Keeping this one too, though.

The BEST all-around performing SUV!!!
By razfam on 12/05/09 21:16 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Amazing, we owned it for almost eight years. Put over 100k miles on it, bought it at 60k as a Toyota CPO. Unfortunately, it was totaled at 173k two weeks ago. Thing was amazing, we LOVED LOVE LOVED every minute with this car. We would NEVER have gotten rid of it. Performance, reliability, quality, comfort. What we loved? The ride. Ruggedness. Looks. Quality. Seats amazing. Everything. Loved everything. Few improvement areas like rear A/C would have been nice (they later did this). Just spent two weeks researching like crazy a replacement SUV. Drove everything, including MB GL 470, Audi Q7, Volvo XC 90, Escalade...What are we getting? Another Land Cruiser. '05 model, p/u this week!

Takes a licking...
By logmusic on 08/28/09 19:26 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Our Crusher was given to us by relatives that used it as a parking lot princess. In 10 years it had been dinged, scraped, dirtied and unloved as it was a family workhorse. NY winters did not help. NO scheduled maintenance ever, just generic oil changes, tires and brakes every so often. $4K later (a bargain!), it looks and rides just like new. Best of all it has only 60K on the clock! Even after 10 years of short trips and substandard preventative maintenance, this LC still runs like new! This vehicle is rock-solid and it's reputation precedes it, making my analysis superfluous. ;-)

Great SUV!!!!
By S. Haider on 07/04/09 14:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought the LC with 150K miles on it and it still drives like a new car. We also own a Lexus and I could not tell the difference in the ride. With the windows up it is as quiet as can be, there is not a single squeak, rattle or noise anywhere. the V8 is smooth as silk. In one weekend we fit 2 families in the LC and went to and from the mountains (7K ft. elevation) to the beach and it performed flawlessly. We will be keeping this vehicle til the wheels fall off.

Simply the best! Range Rover crusher
By calapanero on 02/27/09 10:02 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

They don't make great vehicles anymore... this is a classic that will be handed on to the next generation. Handling is super and gets you anywhere. My grandfather had the very first one back in Asia and it is still running... Toyota please keep making great vehicles... All my cars are made by Toyota... Last bought was a Lexus gs another classic car in the making. Land cruiser owners enjoy and always think safety.

bullet proof
By Joe M on 12/04/07 16:28 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought it new and have 148,000 miles on it. The engine is still silent and the transmission runs like new. I'm not kidding. I have replaced some mechanical things due to wear but you have to expect this. I'm only on my 3rd set of tires in 10 years. If you're looking for a large suv forget mercedes and bmw and ford and cadilac and lincoln. The build quality on this thing puts them all to shame.

1998 Toyota Land Cruiser
By Sal Paradise on 07/28/07 15:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the LC used in 04 with 115k miles on it. It's stock except for rear diff locker. My wife drove the car with the kids for two years and now it's my daily driver. It's an excellent all-rounder. Plenty of power and traction, etc, in the rough Utah winters. Excellent on the dirt roads. The craftsmanship of the vehicle is soooo nice. I now have 155k on the ride and it's still our #1 choice for trips.

Still love it 9 years later
By grant on 10/01/06 16:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Great truck. Drives like a charm, very reliable.

Mom of 3
By lisa on 03/12/05 15:22 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this truck for 1.5 years and it had 67,000 miles on it. This SUV is awesome! We test drove all comparable SUV's this size. The Navigator, Expedition and Sequoia. We were close to buying a newer Sequoia (2001), however we chose an older Land Cruiser (1998). The Luxury and ride of the Land Cruiser sold us. The 3rd seat is a little tighter than we would like, but is great to have when we are carpooling friends (seats 8). I drive this SUV everywhere and have never been disappointed in it's performance.

The Crusher
By dwity on 06/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a truly amazing blend of ruggedness and luxury. I can take it several hundred miles on the highway and it rides like my Lexus ls400. I can take if off roading, exploring, or in snow and it performs as well as a pick up or jeep. Truly Awesome.