1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Consumer Review: OLD FAITHFUL

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser - Consumer Review

40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV (4.5L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

By rb on

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I've wanted one for years and bought a low mileage (56,000)a year ago. No problems at all- just gave it a tune up because I didn't know if original owner had. Also switched to full synthetic fluids throughout. The most versatile vehicle I've ever had- great traction on/off road. Never have to worry about wife and kids in rainy weather- its built like a tank. Gas mileage is 14 city/ 17.5 highway and doesn't change regardless of how I drive it. No leaks, oil burning or any problems so far. Amazing build quality. The only flaw I've found is that power antenna mast seems to be fragile and need replacement every few years (~ $50).

Full-time 4WD, Loaded-sunroof, leather, fold down jumpseats. Good auto-climate control. 6500# towing capacity. Legendary 300,000 life expectancy of engine/powertrain if serviced regularly. Handles better than other full sized SUVS I've had- surprising agility in parallel parking for some reason.

None, really for what it is. I'd love to have better MPG, but am not willing to give up this car to save $200 a year at the pump, and I commute to work in a different car anyway. Gas would have to be $5 a gallon to get rid of it.