1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Consumer Review: Has a better vehicle ever been

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV - Consumer Review

Has a better vehicle ever been made?
By ng5783 on

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This LC is 8yrs old, with 135000 miles, and hasn't yet needed it's first tuneup. It still starts, runs, and looks almost like new. You're as secure in it as you would be in a bank vault. The ride is nearly as good as a BMW 740i of the same year. I've had to replace the brakes, battery, and tires, but that is about it. I get about 14 mpg commuting, and run a quart low by oil change time (3k mi). The biggest drawback is that it won't give me any excuses to shop for a new car. Had a 4Runner before this; it too was perfect after 4 years and 90k miles. Having previously owned a Jeep, a Suburban, and a Bronco (among others), I hate to say it, but I'd never buy American again.

Love the fulltime AWD and the view over other SUV's. I like the way the rear hatch is split 70/30 between upper and lower tailgate.

More legroom (it's a little short for anyone 6' or over). Because of this, my knee tends to hit and disengage the OverDrive button on the shift.