best car i have ever had
By yarruhs on
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD
I bought my 1997 special 40 anniversary edition Landcruiser new back in 1997. The problem with this suv is that its so good you don't want to let it go. I have put 335,000 miles on it. It drives better than many new suvs coming right off the showroom. The only repairs in 15 years have been 1 radiator and 1 alternator. The power antenna just got tired of going up and down, so now it just stays up. I had to re-upholster my two front leather seats a year ago due to normal wear and tear. The mileage is always the same 15 to 16mpg regular gas no matter if you are going up hill or downhill. I joke to my friends this truck will do 16mpg even if its parked.
Favorite Features
The best part about this car is that every part, no matter how big or small has been massively over manufactured. Every bolt , screw, has been manufactured as if money was not an object. This truck does not need a road. Awesome feeling when you are off the road or in snow conditions. It even has a differential lock that allows maneuvering it out of rough terrains, even though I have never used it, knowing I have it makes me feel better. The transmission is something else. I have never had any transmission problems.
Suggested Improvements
I cant think of any improvements. I recommend if you are going to buy an older Landcruiser, 1997 is the year you want because all the kinks of prior years were taken care of. Make sure that all parts ,especially the engine and transmission are genuine. Once you get out of the original Landcruiser parts I doubt they would be as reliable
By raywzou
on 05/09/14 06:24 AM (PDT)

Wow, that is some mileage, is it still going strong ? By regular maintenance, do you mean the schedule service manual stuff: fluids, spark plug, tighten bolts, tire, brake pad and rotor ? Cept for the mentioned upholstery, radiator, and alternator, all else still original , eg: engine, transmission, differentials, suspension, water pump, hose ?