Used 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Land Cruiser model:

LOVE The Green TANK
By Dan Simons

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I love the feeling of driving my LC. And knowing that the reliability is second to none. Chevy has the saying "like a rock" and I love knowing that I can climb right over that rock!! I Have 140k+ miles on it and I know that I will be able to get that many more out of it.

I love the handling of the LC, it handles just as good or better than a car. And I love that I have so many speakers. If I had anymore I would be at a concert. I like the tank feeling and as you can see I could go on and on.

The truck needs more cup holders... or does it?? I can live without them.

Gotta Luv It
By TLC Fan

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my L/C about a year ago with 48000 actual miles from the original owner. The truck is all I expected. Having owned many toyotas I am most impressed with the L/C. Gas mileage is poor but I knew that when I got it. I would like a little more power but I wanted the 6cyl and the styling of the 1997. I did have trouble with the E-brake not dis engaging.

All wheel drive, styling, solid feel.

Nothing that has'nt been taken care of / power/cupholders

OLD FAITHFUL
By rb

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I've wanted one for years and bought a low mileage (56,000)a year ago. No problems at all- just gave it a tune up because I didn't know if original owner had. Also switched to full synthetic fluids throughout. The most versatile vehicle I've ever had- great traction on/off road. Never have to worry about wife and kids in rainy weather- its built like a tank. Gas mileage is 14 city/ 17.5 highway and doesn't change regardless of how I drive it. No leaks, oil burning or any problems so far. Amazing build quality. The only flaw I've found is that power antenna mast seems to be fragile and need replacement every few years (~ $50).

Full-time 4WD, Loaded-sunroof, leather, fold down jumpseats. Good auto-climate control. 6500# towing capacity. Legendary 300,000 life expectancy of engine/powertrain if serviced regularly. Handles better than other full sized SUVS I've had- surprising agility in parallel parking for some reason.

None, really for what it is. I'd love to have better MPG, but am not willing to give up this car to save $200 a year at the pump, and I commute to work in a different car anyway. Gas would have to be $5 a gallon to get rid of it.

Best in its Class
By QBOY

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my 97LC since Feb or so of this year. I bought it as a ski car. I was looking for outstanding safety and ability in a large size. I have only put about 2000 miles on this car, but I am very impressed. The build quality is the best that I have ever seen. Now, I have never driven a porsche, but compared to all of the other premium brands that I have driven, this car is simply amazing. This car is perhaps the best that has ever been built for what its built for- -amazing offroad and snow capability in a large, safe, and comfortable car.

Go anywhere capability with up to seven people, but comfortable enough for long trips. There is no better hauler for snow country. 3rd row is great.

I can't think of anything.

Have you found perfection yet...?
By CreigMac

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have. It's called Land Cruiser, and it's made by Toyota. OK it's not perfect, it only gets (for me) 17.5 MPG on average. I drive easy on road, hard off road and this puppy lovesthe dirt/mud/water/snow you name it. Save yourself about $30,000 on a new SUV and buy a nice 80 series made from 93 through 97. Mine has 165,000 miles and is nicer than most new (insert name) that cost $40,000 or more new.

Everything from the front bumper to the rear bumper. Drivetrain will last 350,000+ miles with no worries.

Start building the 80 Series again...