1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Land Cruiser model:
If safety is your main concern...
By SportUTE on 08/30/05 02:03 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

My wife and I purchased our Land Cruiser almost 2 years ago. I purchased it for it's stability, solid build quality and general overall quality. We purchased the all-black package and have loved it since day one. The only non-excellent marks are for fuel economy and performance. Folks, get used to ~14 MPG average. It's bad for all cars but pretty darn good for an SUV. Performance is a little sluggish but it wasn't designed to be a drag racer. The third seats are great and very convenient. The full size, alloy rim spare is a nice touch as well. You get a sense that Toyota made sure that they got the top build quality possible with this vehicle. It is soooo solid! Favorite ever.

Has a better vehicle ever been made?
By ng5783 on 05/04/05 19:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This LC is 8yrs old, with 135000 miles, and hasn't yet needed it's first tuneup. It still starts, runs, and looks almost like new. You're as secure in it as you would be in a bank vault. The ride is nearly as good as a BMW 740i of the same year. I've had to replace the brakes, battery, and tires, but that is about it. I get about 14 mpg commuting, and run a quart low by oil change time (3k mi). The biggest drawback is that it won't give me any excuses to shop for a new car. Had a 4Runner before this; it too was perfect after 4 years and 90k miles. Having previously owned a Jeep, a Suburban, and a Bronco (among others), I hate to say it, but I'd never buy American again.

It's legendary for a reason!!!
By badcanine on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had the Cruiser for 2 years. Bought it certified used from a Toyota dealer. This thing was immaculate with very low miles. We still only have 68,000 on it now. I hope to drive this thing forever and I think the only thing that I would replace it with is another landcruiser. A word about price. Landcruisers are very expensive to buy, but very reliable and cost very little to operate as ther are virtually no repairs. They also last forever at leat 50,000 to 100,000 miles longer than any american SUV's and can take anything you can dish out. Be smart and buy one you will not regret it.

Incredible reliability and quality.
By pgarr1 on 04/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I am the 2nd owner and have almost 134,000 miles. I drive it pretty hard off road and I have never needed to be rescued. The build quality is awesome. I am anal about regular maintenance and the only thing I have had to replace is the brake fluid resevoir sensor. Oh yeah, the original battery went out around 100,000 miles. The engine is designed to last 300,000 before a rebuild. Fuel economy sucks but it is a tank that will last.

A Panzer in disguise
By MOrton on 06/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

No complaints whatsoever with this vehicle. I feel extremely safe behind the wheel of this tank. This vehicle will go absolutely anywhere. Beautiful interior and quality build. No problems even after taking this thing on the roughest trails.

Smooth Urban Warrior
By dwest on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I can't say enough about the Land Cruiser for its smooth ride over the worst urban street conditions (construction trenches, pot holes, etc.) Perhaps the biggest surprise has been the ease of parallel parking in the city -- the TLC is quite nimble at snaking into tight spots... very happy and very surprised at that. Of course, there have been no mechanical problems.

Stepping up!
By dwy on 10/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I came from a 4runner, this is like heaven. The ride quality and build quality are great. I bought this used. The only thing I have noticed is a rusting sunroof. Weird. I haven't completed the investigation through a dealership yet.

hooked on cruisers
By drcjj on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 4th Landcruiser and may be getting a 5th at some point. Real Solid Cars! I have 103km on it, use Syntec oil, have a K&N air filter and all the scheduled maint. My only complaint is that the new ones are sooo expensive.. I love this car, it takes great care of me here in the mountains and can't seem to find a fitting replacement. Sequoia is too big and others too little or have no low range tranny.

would buy this car again
By lopo on 07/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Have had this car for nearly 5 years and absolutely love it. In fact, this may be one of the only cars I'd be willing to drive until it dies.

not surprised!
By ownedalotoftoys on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I,ve owned seven toys and by far this one exceeds gluttony. I am a mechanic in DFW and it is no surprise that Toyota is the one car manf. least worked on in my shop. Outstanding reliability, fit , finish, driveability and list goes on! Toyota owners "maintain" as oppose to "repairing", cudos to all who do that. I've known many mechanics in the years and we all agree that land cruisers are the most overbuilt vehicles in the world, no offense to Hummers and the Dept of Defense!