1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Land Cruiser model:
Worth every single penny--and then some
By Worth every penny on 02/25/09 13:07 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

If you're looking for an excellent SUV, this is it. After 12 great years of ownership, we put 234,000 miles on it before our daughter recently crashed it. She and her passenger hit a utility pole and the pole was shredded wheat. The girls were fine; no injuries, bumps or bruises. Unfortunately, it totaled the vehicle, but at least they were safe. The Land Cruiser has been called a "bank vault on wheels" because of it's safety and it's true. It is pricey, but it is worth every single penny. We will soon be upgrading to a used Lexus 470LX version and expect the same satisfaction since the Land Cruiser and the 470 are the same vehicle. The Lexus just has more bells and whistles.

Gas hog, but so what!
By Phil on 11/29/08 06:10 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

What a pleasure it is to own this vehicle. We unloaded a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same mileage to get our hand on this vehicle. It ended up costing us $4500 to do the deal, but I am so glad we did it. The Jeep, which was bought from a trusted friend and was taken care of, broke down and needed maintenance continually. The Land Cruiser, well, I changed a spark plug once. Can't blame Toyota for that. 210k miles as runs great! If this car ever dies then I will consider getting a newer 1998 model. I am not concerned about the gas mileage. No car payment plus the fact that this car is never in the shop more than makes up for the extra money at the gas pump.

Bring back the 97 model
By xsanguinator on 06/30/07 20:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

My wife prefers the 97 Landcruiser over her RX 330. It's a good looking, reliable, vehicle with unmatched offroad features. With only 44K miles on it, I plan on driving it for a long time. I also have an 88 4x4 Tacoma (212K mile), 94 4Runner (188K).

Cruiser
By Boz on 06/06/07 19:25 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used in 03/2006 with 145,000 miles. With lockers, condition, collector's edition had to purchase it. So far, no mechanical/major problems, but the AC stopped working. $900 to fix leak on condensor!! The reliability and the "guts" of the Cruiser are unmatchable. Snow, rain, no problem. Confident ride in such conditions. Fun to drive in nice fall weather. Windows roll all the way down. Huge sunroof. This vehicle will get you from point A to point B, no doubt. However, it'll cost you 11-13 mpg. The ownership expenses add up: insurance, oil, gas, tranny fluid, diff fluid, larger tires. Basically, if you have excess spare cash to burn, a very reliable, superb vehicle!

LOVE The Green TANK
By Dan Simons on 12/17/06 20:11 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I love the feeling of driving my LC. And knowing that the reliability is second to none. Chevy has the saying "like a rock" and I love knowing that I can climb right over that rock!! I Have 140k+ miles on it and I know that I will be able to get that many more out of it.

Gotta Luv It
By TLC Fan on 06/10/06 21:38 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my L/C about a year ago with 48000 actual miles from the original owner. The truck is all I expected. Having owned many toyotas I am most impressed with the L/C. Gas mileage is poor but I knew that when I got it. I would like a little more power but I wanted the 6cyl and the styling of the 1997. I did have trouble with the E-brake not dis engaging.

OLD FAITHFUL
By rb on 12/10/05 20:50 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I've wanted one for years and bought a low mileage (56,000)a year ago. No problems at all- just gave it a tune up because I didn't know if original owner had. Also switched to full synthetic fluids throughout. The most versatile vehicle I've ever had- great traction on/off road. Never have to worry about wife and kids in rainy weather- its built like a tank. Gas mileage is 14 city/ 17.5 highway and doesn't change regardless of how I drive it. No leaks, oil burning or any problems so far. Amazing build quality. The only flaw I've found is that power antenna mast seems to be fragile and need replacement every few years (~ $50).

Best in its Class
By QBOY on 11/30/05 16:39 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my 97LC since Feb or so of this year. I bought it as a ski car. I was looking for outstanding safety and ability in a large size. I have only put about 2000 miles on this car, but I am very impressed. The build quality is the best that I have ever seen. Now, I have never driven a porsche, but compared to all of the other premium brands that I have driven, this car is simply amazing. This car is perhaps the best that has ever been built for what its built for- -amazing offroad and snow capability in a large, safe, and comfortable car.

Have you found perfection yet...?
By CreigMac on 10/28/05 13:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have. It's called Land Cruiser, and it's made by Toyota. OK it's not perfect, it only gets (for me) 17.5 MPG on average. I drive easy on road, hard off road and this puppy lovesthe dirt/mud/water/snow you name it. Save yourself about $30,000 on a new SUV and buy a nice 80 series made from 93 through 97. Mine has 165,000 miles and is nicer than most new (insert name) that cost $40,000 or more new.

If safety is your main concern...
By SportUTE on 08/30/05 02:03 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

My wife and I purchased our Land Cruiser almost 2 years ago. I purchased it for it's stability, solid build quality and general overall quality. We purchased the all-black package and have loved it since day one. The only non-excellent marks are for fuel economy and performance. Folks, get used to ~14 MPG average. It's bad for all cars but pretty darn good for an SUV. Performance is a little sluggish but it wasn't designed to be a drag racer. The third seats are great and very convenient. The full size, alloy rim spare is a nice touch as well. You get a sense that Toyota made sure that they got the top build quality possible with this vehicle. It is soooo solid! Favorite ever.