Used 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 40th Anniversary Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Land-cruiser - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV

View reviews for a specific Land Cruiser model:

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser
By singingdork23

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car with 94K and I am currently at 102k and my goal is to go half a million miles with this amazing car. I absolutely love this car. Its got this best engine ever made. Never ever gives up and will chug through just about any type of weather mother nature throws at it. Its 4x4 capabilities and high clearance makes me feel comfortable in any situation. I live in a thick mountain area and at -21 degrees it starts right up. This car is reliable and worth every penny! Plus it just looks amazing! Very unique compared to most other vehicles. This car will be around for my kids and grandkids.

best car i have ever had
By yarruhs

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1997 special 40 anniversary edition Landcruiser new back in 1997. The problem with this suv is that its so good you don't want to let it go. I have put 335,000 miles on it. It drives better than many new suvs coming right off the showroom. The only repairs in 15 years have been 1 radiator and 1 alternator. The power antenna just got tired of going up and down, so now it just stays up. I had to re-upholster my two front leather seats a year ago due to normal wear and tear. The mileage is always the same 15 to 16mpg regular gas no matter if you are going up hill or downhill. I joke to my friends this truck will do 16mpg even if its parked.

Favorite Features

The best part about this car is that every part, no matter how big or small has been massively over manufactured. Every bolt , screw, has been manufactured as if money was not an object. This truck does not need a road. Awesome feeling when you are off the road or in snow conditions. It even has a differential lock that allows maneuvering it out of rough terrains, even though I have never used it, knowing I have it makes me feel better. The transmission is something else. I have never had any transmission problems.

Suggested Improvements

I cant think of any improvements. I recommend if you are going to buy an older Landcruiser, 1997 is the year you want because all the kinks of prior years were taken care of. Make sure that all parts ,especially the engine and transmission are genuine. Once you get out of the original Landcruiser parts I doubt they would be as reliable

Wow-I love this car.
By plarsen

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car with 190,000 miles. It is now at 270,000 miles. My only repair was a new radiator, which I probably could have skipped but was on vacation with family and didn't want to chance it. Like previous reviewers, the wife and I fought over this car although we had a newer one with less miles sitting in the driveway! I will definitely be buying another land cruiser. Although mileage is poor, you make up for it with lack of repairs. Truly a pleasure to drive. Also, like the previous reviewer, we got rid of a Jeep Grand Cherokee to buy this. That car was always in the shop. Not the land cruiser. Wonderful car.

Favorite Features

The look, 4-way adjustable seats, reliability, driving it, off road capabilities, people's comments of my car, safety, can hold 7 people in a pinch.

Suggested Improvements

If you are a tall person, this may not be the car for you. There is not a lot of "leg room" in the front seat. I hear that there is an adjustment that can be done for more leg room, but... I also wish my 97 had a little more tow capacity. It is 5000 lbs. But I am willing to sacrifice. 98 and later models get to 6500.

last of the greats
By cruiser97

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

i just purchased a meticulously cared for 97 collectors edition. drove it 1700 miles from the airport i picked it up at. i had never "really" driven in snow. this truck cruised on control at 80 o snowplowed and unplowed highways for 6 hours. flawless. the sticker 13 years ago was $54,000. if the truck was new today i would pay that in a heartbeat. i would have to finance it though. safe, and accurate. the awd practical drove for you. there is no real passing power going up mountains; but the power button allows you to pass relatively easily on flat roads. i have a gt3 and gti. i would trade either for this armageddon tank. it is my favorite vehicle today. one of the best ever.

Favorite Features

awd, climate control, drive control, good looks

Suggested Improvements

needs compass and thermometer. easily remedied.

Best car I have owned
By jorge rodriguez

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my LC new in 1997. It is the BEST car I have ever had. It now has 276,000 miles and I have not had to hardly do any repair work, other than oil changes (I do it every 3,000 miles), brakes and tires. I was told this 6 cylinder engine should be trouble free for 500,000 miles or more, so my high mileage so far has not scared me. The only things that have given me trouble was the automatic car antenna and one of the little gadgets that extend out to electronically bend the front back seat. It does 15-16 mpg of regular fuel. The newer land cruisers with V8 do 14mpg with premium fuel. I recommend this car, if you can get one with 100-150,000 miles it's a better buy than a new car.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Even at 275,000 miles it still feels the same way as the day I bought it new. Solid built. Every bolt is massive.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders are non existent in this LC.