Used 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Land Cruiser model:

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser
By singingdork23

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car with 94K and I am currently at 102k and my goal is to go half a million miles with this amazing car. I absolutely love this car. Its got this best engine ever made. Never ever gives up and will chug through just about any type of weather mother nature throws at it. Its 4x4 capabilities and high clearance makes me feel comfortable in any situation. I live in a thick mountain area and at -21 degrees it starts right up. This car is reliable and worth every penny! Plus it just looks amazing! Very unique compared to most other vehicles. This car will be around for my kids and grandkids.

best car i have ever had
By yarruhs

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1997 special 40 anniversary edition Landcruiser new back in 1997. The problem with this suv is that its so good you don't want to let it go. I have put 335,000 miles on it. It drives better than many new suvs coming right off the showroom. The only repairs in 15 years have been 1 radiator and 1 alternator. The power antenna just got tired of going up and down, so now it just stays up. I had to re-upholster my two front leather seats a year ago due to normal wear and tear. The mileage is always the same 15 to 16mpg regular gas no matter if you are going up hill or downhill. I joke to my friends this truck will do 16mpg even if its parked.

Favorite Features

The best part about this car is that every part, no matter how big or small has been massively over manufactured. Every bolt , screw, has been manufactured as if money was not an object. This truck does not need a road. Awesome feeling when you are off the road or in snow conditions. It even has a differential lock that allows maneuvering it out of rough terrains, even though I have never used it, knowing I have it makes me feel better. The transmission is something else. I have never had any transmission problems.

Suggested Improvements

I cant think of any improvements. I recommend if you are going to buy an older Landcruiser, 1997 is the year you want because all the kinks of prior years were taken care of. Make sure that all parts ,especially the engine and transmission are genuine. Once you get out of the original Landcruiser parts I doubt they would be as reliable

1997 Collectors Edition FZJ80
By cambino123

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased the LC 2 years ago with 182K miles on her. For the price of an ATV i decided why not. I've also researched these things and they can exceed 500K at least. Since most of them are shipped to south america and africa i had to have one. Immediately based lined it and spent another $2,000 . All in all, It was a $10,000 dollar investment which included tires, head gasket fix, PHH tube and a new drive shaft front and rear, Knuckes etc. There is a feeling you get when you drive this cruiser that no other car gives you. Its craftsmanship and over engineering is evident once you hit the throttle. The off-road capability is overwhelming and you are in complete control.

Favorite Features

Front and rear lockers for serious off-roading. The ground clearance. For a 15 year old car its road visibility is amazing. The sun roof is still in good condition.

Suggested Improvements

Shakey driver side mirror due to age, window motors are weakening other than that just make sure you perform the base lining after you get one.

Wow-I love this car.
By plarsen

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car with 190,000 miles. It is now at 270,000 miles. My only repair was a new radiator, which I probably could have skipped but was on vacation with family and didn't want to chance it. Like previous reviewers, the wife and I fought over this car although we had a newer one with less miles sitting in the driveway! I will definitely be buying another land cruiser. Although mileage is poor, you make up for it with lack of repairs. Truly a pleasure to drive. Also, like the previous reviewer, we got rid of a Jeep Grand Cherokee to buy this. That car was always in the shop. Not the land cruiser. Wonderful car.

Favorite Features

The look, 4-way adjustable seats, reliability, driving it, off road capabilities, people's comments of my car, safety, can hold 7 people in a pinch.

Suggested Improvements

If you are a tall person, this may not be the car for you. There is not a lot of "leg room" in the front seat. I hear that there is an adjustment that can be done for more leg room, but... I also wish my 97 had a little more tow capacity. It is 5000 lbs. But I am willing to sacrifice. 98 and later models get to 6500.

My Landcruiser
By Miles

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it around 2 years ago with 150k on it, so far only had to change the rear 02 sensor, and some normal wear items. The only thing I don't like on this LC is the driver seat, can't never find a comfortable position.

Favorite Features

Drive like a tank, can go anywhere is a true statement from all LC owners.

Suggested Improvements

Head gasket seems to be a common issue, before you go buy one, make sure you have it check out.