1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Land Cruiser model:
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser
By singingdork23 on 08/08/14 20:01 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car with 94K and I am currently at 102k and my goal is to go half a million miles with this amazing car. I absolutely love this car. Its got this best engine ever made. Never ever gives up and will chug through just about any type of weather mother nature throws at it. Its 4x4 capabilities and high clearance makes me feel comfortable in any situation. I live in a thick mountain area and at -21 degrees it starts right up. This car is reliable and worth every penny! Plus it just looks amazing! Very unique compared to most other vehicles. This car will be around for my kids and grandkids.

best car i have ever had
By yarruhs on 11/26/12 22:24 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1997 special 40 anniversary edition Landcruiser new back in 1997. The problem with this suv is that its so good you don't want to let it go. I have put 335,000 miles on it. It drives better than many new suvs coming right off the showroom. The only repairs in 15 years have been 1 radiator and 1 alternator. The power antenna just got tired of going up and down, so now it just stays up. I had to re-upholster my two front leather seats a year ago due to normal wear and tear. The mileage is always the same 15 to 16mpg regular gas no matter if you are going up hill or downhill. I joke to my friends this truck will do 16mpg even if its parked.

1997 Collectors Edition FZJ80
By cambino123 on 10/25/12 15:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased the LC 2 years ago with 182K miles on her. For the price of an ATV i decided why not. I've also researched these things and they can exceed 500K at least. Since most of them are shipped to south america and africa i had to have one. Immediately based lined it and spent another $2,000 . All in all, It was a $10,000 dollar investment which included tires, head gasket fix, PHH tube and a new drive shaft front and rear, Knuckes etc. There is a feeling you get when you drive this cruiser that no other car gives you. Its craftsmanship and over engineering is evident once you hit the throttle. The off-road capability is overwhelming and you are in complete control.

Wow-I love this car.
By plarsen on 10/23/12 05:38 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car with 190,000 miles. It is now at 270,000 miles. My only repair was a new radiator, which I probably could have skipped but was on vacation with family and didn't want to chance it. Like previous reviewers, the wife and I fought over this car although we had a newer one with less miles sitting in the driveway! I will definitely be buying another land cruiser. Although mileage is poor, you make up for it with lack of repairs. Truly a pleasure to drive. Also, like the previous reviewer, we got rid of a Jeep Grand Cherokee to buy this. That car was always in the shop. Not the land cruiser. Wonderful car.

My Landcruiser
By Miles on 09/01/10 07:27 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it around 2 years ago with 150k on it, so far only had to change the rear 02 sensor, and some normal wear items. The only thing I don't like on this LC is the driver seat, can't never find a comfortable position.

Toyota tank
By Jeff on 06/24/10 16:37 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV is the most over built truck on the market. Pulls like Missouri mule, but has a decent enough ride for long trips. I pull a 6500# sailboat from time to time and the old girl hardly grunts. 113,000 miles and she's still a baby. AWD is flawless. Need to replace the locker switch ($600 - ouch), so be sure to exercise yours! Never stuck, no rattles, solid truck. Engine is bullet proof. I have 3 guys that want to buy her when I am done and they don't care I am done. I'll endure the poor mileage to drive this SUV.

last of the greats
By cruiser97 on 02/16/10 22:34 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

i just purchased a meticulously cared for 97 collectors edition. drove it 1700 miles from the airport i picked it up at. i had never "really" driven in snow. this truck cruised on control at 80 o snowplowed and unplowed highways for 6 hours. flawless. the sticker 13 years ago was $54,000. if the truck was new today i would pay that in a heartbeat. i would have to finance it though. safe, and accurate. the awd practical drove for you. there is no real passing power going up mountains; but the power button allows you to pass relatively easily on flat roads. i have a gt3 and gti. i would trade either for this armageddon tank. it is my favorite vehicle today. one of the best ever.

Best car I have owned
By jorge rodriguez on 12/20/09 12:40 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my LC new in 1997. It is the BEST car I have ever had. It now has 276,000 miles and I have not had to hardly do any repair work, other than oil changes (I do it every 3,000 miles), brakes and tires. I was told this 6 cylinder engine should be trouble free for 500,000 miles or more, so my high mileage so far has not scared me. The only things that have given me trouble was the automatic car antenna and one of the little gadgets that extend out to electronically bend the front back seat. It does 15-16 mpg of regular fuel. The newer land cruisers with V8 do 14mpg with premium fuel. I recommend this car, if you can get one with 100-150,000 miles it's a better buy than a new car.

My next car will be a Land Cruiser too!
By plarsen111 on 11/16/09 11:18 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought at 192,000 mi. It now has 225,000 mi. R U ready for this...I had to fix...(drumroll)...a spark plug. That's it. We have a newer Subaru Forester, but we both fight over who gets to drive this car. We LOVE it.

Best Used SUV
By Richard on 09/15/09 16:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Rock solid build quality with no rattles or squeaks after 235,000 miles. The only major maintenance was replacing the radiator at 215,000. Other than that, just the routine 30,000 mile maintenance stuff. Expensive to buy, but inexpensive to operate. The Land Cruiser is a go anywhere vehicle whether it's to the opera or a camping trip. I get 16/17 mpg while traveling in complete comfort. Running high end Michelin tires and have 85,000 miles on them so far. Looks like they will go at least 100,000 before getting to the wear marks. I have no intention of selling this Land Cruiser until it wears out and that does not look to be anytime soon.