1997 Toyota Land Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Land Cruiser model:
1997 Collectors Edition FZJ80
By cambino123 on 10/25/12 15:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased the LC 2 years ago with 182K miles on her. For the price of an ATV i decided why not. I've also researched these things and they can exceed 500K at least. Since most of them are shipped to south america and africa i had to have one. Immediately based lined it and spent another $2,000 . All in all, It was a $10,000 dollar investment which included tires, head gasket fix, PHH tube and a new drive shaft front and rear, Knuckes etc. There is a feeling you get when you drive this cruiser that no other car gives you. Its craftsmanship and over engineering is evident once you hit the throttle. The off-road capability is overwhelming and you are in complete control.

My Landcruiser
By Miles on 09/01/10 07:27 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it around 2 years ago with 150k on it, so far only had to change the rear 02 sensor, and some normal wear items. The only thing I don't like on this LC is the driver seat, can't never find a comfortable position.

Toyota tank
By Jeff on 06/24/10 16:37 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV is the most over built truck on the market. Pulls like Missouri mule, but has a decent enough ride for long trips. I pull a 6500# sailboat from time to time and the old girl hardly grunts. 113,000 miles and she's still a baby. AWD is flawless. Need to replace the locker switch ($600 - ouch), so be sure to exercise yours! Never stuck, no rattles, solid truck. Engine is bullet proof. I have 3 guys that want to buy her when I am done and they don't care I am done. I'll endure the poor mileage to drive this SUV.

Worth every single penny--and then some
By Worth every penny on 02/25/09 13:07 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

If you're looking for an excellent SUV, this is it. After 12 great years of ownership, we put 234,000 miles on it before our daughter recently crashed it. She and her passenger hit a utility pole and the pole was shredded wheat. The girls were fine; no injuries, bumps or bruises. Unfortunately, it totaled the vehicle, but at least they were safe. The Land Cruiser has been called a "bank vault on wheels" because of it's safety and it's true. It is pricey, but it is worth every single penny. We will soon be upgrading to a used Lexus 470LX version and expect the same satisfaction since the Land Cruiser and the 470 are the same vehicle. The Lexus just has more bells and whistles.

Bring back the 97 model
By xsanguinator on 06/30/07 20:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

My wife prefers the 97 Landcruiser over her RX 330. It's a good looking, reliable, vehicle with unmatched offroad features. With only 44K miles on it, I plan on driving it for a long time. I also have an 88 4x4 Tacoma (212K mile), 94 4Runner (188K).

Cruiser
By Boz on 06/06/07 19:25 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used in 03/2006 with 145,000 miles. With lockers, condition, collector's edition had to purchase it. So far, no mechanical/major problems, but the AC stopped working. $900 to fix leak on condensor!! The reliability and the "guts" of the Cruiser are unmatchable. Snow, rain, no problem. Confident ride in such conditions. Fun to drive in nice fall weather. Windows roll all the way down. Huge sunroof. This vehicle will get you from point A to point B, no doubt. However, it'll cost you 11-13 mpg. The ownership expenses add up: insurance, oil, gas, tranny fluid, diff fluid, larger tires. Basically, if you have excess spare cash to burn, a very reliable, superb vehicle!

Gotta Luv It
By TLC Fan on 06/10/06 21:38 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my L/C about a year ago with 48000 actual miles from the original owner. The truck is all I expected. Having owned many toyotas I am most impressed with the L/C. Gas mileage is poor but I knew that when I got it. I would like a little more power but I wanted the 6cyl and the styling of the 1997. I did have trouble with the E-brake not dis engaging.

Best in its Class
By QBOY on 11/30/05 16:39 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my 97LC since Feb or so of this year. I bought it as a ski car. I was looking for outstanding safety and ability in a large size. I have only put about 2000 miles on this car, but I am very impressed. The build quality is the best that I have ever seen. Now, I have never driven a porsche, but compared to all of the other premium brands that I have driven, this car is simply amazing. This car is perhaps the best that has ever been built for what its built for- -amazing offroad and snow capability in a large, safe, and comfortable car.

If safety is your main concern...
By SportUTE on 08/30/05 02:03 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

My wife and I purchased our Land Cruiser almost 2 years ago. I purchased it for it's stability, solid build quality and general overall quality. We purchased the all-black package and have loved it since day one. The only non-excellent marks are for fuel economy and performance. Folks, get used to ~14 MPG average. It's bad for all cars but pretty darn good for an SUV. Performance is a little sluggish but it wasn't designed to be a drag racer. The third seats are great and very convenient. The full size, alloy rim spare is a nice touch as well. You get a sense that Toyota made sure that they got the top build quality possible with this vehicle. It is soooo solid! Favorite ever.

It's legendary for a reason!!!
By badcanine on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had the Cruiser for 2 years. Bought it certified used from a Toyota dealer. This thing was immaculate with very low miles. We still only have 68,000 on it now. I hope to drive this thing forever and I think the only thing that I would replace it with is another landcruiser. A word about price. Landcruisers are very expensive to buy, but very reliable and cost very little to operate as ther are virtually no repairs. They also last forever at leat 50,000 to 100,000 miles longer than any american SUV's and can take anything you can dish out. Be smart and buy one you will not regret it.