Used 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Land-cruiser - Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV

Base 4.5L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (21 reviews )

1996 Land Cruiser Will Last
By Vic

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car with almost 90,000 miles, I was a little nervous buying a used car with so many miles and for $15k. I have now owned this car for 5 years and now have 140,000miles, there is a reason why these truck are legendary, the are build strong and made to last. This car is more comfortable than many newer cars and extremely reliable and excellent in the snow. Other than some minor repairs and bad gas mileage the car will last forever. I use this truck for everything from family trips to towing the boat to daily commuting, like I said it is built to last.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride for the age, great in bad weather, comfortable for long trips, huge amount of space for loading.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.... I think even the new models get the same mileage, I guess because this truck weighs a lot.

Canada to Costa Rica
By Graham Park

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought Abbotsford, BC Canada. $11000, $7000 on drives. 248,000 miles. Drove to Costa rica 6000 miles. Here in CR mountains, had brakes replaced 3 times this year. Gas mileage 8 MPG, straight 6. Gas here is $3.43 / USG. Here they have diesel engines a much better choice. In N.America gas is king (insane). We have 272,600 currently. We have a steep hill and stream to climb to get out of our property. We have towed many 4 wheel drive vehicles up this hill. Hyundai is pitiful. When driving in Mexico City along on of the highways a huge pothole appeared in our lane over a foot deep and 5' wide. Panic:- alignment, no problem. this is our second SUV other 4Runner, both fantastic vehicles.

Favorite Features

I'm 6'2" and once in the SUV seats are very comfortable. On highway great ride. Adjustable seats very comfortable. Here in CR this truck goes everywhere leaving others in the mud.

Suggested Improvements

Throw out the gas engine replace with diesel. I have ridden in a 2009 Landcruiser with diesel, great get up and go. Cruises like a dream. Brake life is a problem! Would discs all round help?

Best SUV availible
By Moab Bus

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

It pretty much is the best truck if you really need a SUV. It excels in all areas related to four wheel drive and off-roading. You will be hard pressed to find another vehicle with more comfort or abilities not to mention number one in reliability. Much better than the new ones and would by another but currently own 2.

Favorite Features

4x4, Solid Axle, Ride, Comfort, Superior design, overbuilt drive train and reliability not found on anything else. Offroading all day long is like a drive in the park.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. Wish they still made them like this.

Solid as a rock
By truckguy

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I am the second owner. I have owned it for 9 years and put 70k on it. To this day I have only changed fluids, tail lamp bulbs and wiper blades so far. This week I am finally buy new tires. In the snow, off road or just out to dinner, it performs perfectly every time. Without a doubt, this is the best car/truck I have ever owned. It is truly bullet proof. I took it to a mechanic last year thinking it was time for a tune-up at 120,000 miles. The mechanic looked at the spark plugs and did a general inspection. He told me that this was the best vehicle ever made and to come back when it reaches 250,000 miles. Perfectly clean garage concrete where it has been parked for 8+ years.

Favorite Features

Comfortable leather seats. Tough and durable locking differential and drive train.

Suggested Improvements

More and better laid out coffee mug holders. Better gas mileage.

Brakes and Rotors
By Ranger

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the Land Cruiser because I heard of its great reliability. Its been a good car, able to haul kids up skiing and having no trouble with snow. My problem is maintenance. It goes through brake pads and rotors. Second set of rotors in 80,000 miles. Also had the head gasket blow out in Vail, which was extremely expensive. Spent far more on maintenance on this car than any other I've owned, including my Fords. I leave it in the garage except to haul kids skiing. Think I got the LC Lemon.