1996 Toyota Land Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.5L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (21 reviews )
Canada to Costa Rica
By Graham Park on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought Abbotsford, BC Canada. $11000, $7000 on drives. 248,000 miles. Drove to Costa rica 6000 miles. Here in CR mountains, had brakes replaced 3 times this year. Gas mileage 8 MPG, straight 6. Gas here is $3.43 / USG. Here they have diesel engines a much better choice. In N.America gas is king (insane). We have 272,600 currently. We have a steep hill and stream to climb to get out of our property. We have towed many 4 wheel drive vehicles up this hill. Hyundai is pitiful. When driving in Mexico City along on of the highways a huge pothole appeared in our lane over a foot deep and 5' wide. Panic:- alignment, no problem. this is our second SUV other 4Runner, both fantastic vehicles.

Best SUV availible
By Moab Bus on 04/06/09 11:46 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

It pretty much is the best truck if you really need a SUV. It excels in all areas related to four wheel drive and off-roading. You will be hard pressed to find another vehicle with more comfort or abilities not to mention number one in reliability. Much better than the new ones and would by another but currently own 2.

1996 Land Cruiser Will Last
By Vic on 03/17/09 13:45 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car with almost 90,000 miles, I was a little nervous buying a used car with so many miles and for $15k. I have now owned this car for 5 years and now have 140,000miles, there is a reason why these truck are legendary, the are build strong and made to last. This car is more comfortable than many newer cars and extremely reliable and excellent in the snow. Other than some minor repairs and bad gas mileage the car will last forever. I use this truck for everything from family trips to towing the boat to daily commuting, like I said it is built to last.

Brakes and Rotors
By Ranger on 10/25/08 11:20 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the Land Cruiser because I heard of its great reliability. Its been a good car, able to haul kids up skiing and having no trouble with snow. My problem is maintenance. It goes through brake pads and rotors. Second set of rotors in 80,000 miles. Also had the head gasket blow out in Vail, which was extremely expensive. Spent far more on maintenance on this car than any other I've owned, including my Fords. I leave it in the garage except to haul kids skiing. Think I got the LC Lemon.

Solid as a rock
By truckguy on 08/17/08 07:34 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I am the second owner. I have owned it for 9 years and put 70k on it. To this day I have only changed fluids, tail lamp bulbs and wiper blades so far. This week I am finally buy new tires. In the snow, off road or just out to dinner, it performs perfectly every time. Without a doubt, this is the best car/truck I have ever owned. It is truly bullet proof. I took it to a mechanic last year thinking it was time for a tune-up at 120,000 miles. The mechanic looked at the spark plugs and did a general inspection. He told me that this was the best vehicle ever made and to come back when it reaches 250,000 miles. Perfectly clean garage concrete where it has been parked for 8+ years.

Built Like Fort Knox
By Jim on 02/23/08 18:57 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I've been driving this truck for ten years now and I love it! I've never driven or ridden in anything that felt more solid. My biggest complaint are the brakes. New pads every 25K miles. The starter went out at 140K and I believe it was $65 to rebuild it. The EGR sensor went out at 110K miles, right after plowing through 2 feet of water. That was pricey at about $400.

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
By FrankTheTank on 01/31/08 20:55 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my LC a month ago with 155k miles on it. I've since put 5k on it, both highway and city. Still runs flawlessly. I've owned BMW Ms and many other sports cars, but none make me smile like the LC. Not sure what people gripe about in regards to gas MPG. Fuel economy isn't the first thing that comes to mind when one thinks of a LC.

1996 Landcruiser
By jojo on 02/12/06 00:49 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought a 96' off ebay....w/78000 miles 4 yrs ago. Overall very solid. You WILL eat up brake disc pads...I changed my tires/and pads did them myself very cheap $20 per axle for life time warranty from Autozone. At 80000 the catalytic converter went out dealer replaced for free. It tends to burn oil a qt about every 2000 miles. Overall very solid and reliable terrible mileage...12 city 16 hwy... parts are expensive buy them online its cheaper. Only critique is I'm only 5'10 and the seat doesnt go back far enough for my liking... overall I would buy one again and again. I have 134000 miles on it and it is great. If you want to pull anything with it I'd suggest getting heavy duty shocks.

Love my LC!
By drod on 07/17/05 17:22 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my LC for 7 years and the only things I've had to replace are tires and brakes. The car is bulletproof not just in toughness but also styling and functionality. Surfing out of the way spots is a piece of cake. Driving in snowdrifts - no problem. Pulling up to the finest restaurants - you feel totally comfortable and stylish. This car will be used for years to come and will never be sold...

Stove Bolt Solid
By Lorne Cass on 06/28/05 21:56 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle used in 1998 with 38000 miles. I bought my first Land Cruiser, an FJ40, in 1976 and my first wagon in 1978. You cannot beat the durability and reliability of this vehicle. It handles very well, rides smooth and quiet on road, and will go just about anywhere offroad when needed. It will never leave you stranded.