1991 Toyota Land Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (0 review )
things that matter work
By big-g on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

The truck is very good off road. 4 wheel drive always works. Engine never let me down. I use mobil 1 and change oil and filter one time a year. Truck has 150k. The truck has some short commings but when you take into account the reliability and capeability nothing is better. Over the years it has been fun hearing people gripe over Ford, Chevy,Jeep problems like my 4 wheel drive does not work, engine no start,differential blew apart and the big one tranny broken.

The Beast
By Dave Natoli on 03/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

Have had my 91 or a couple of months now. Have had more snow in upstate NY than I can remember this year. This beast is absoultely unstoppable, 3 feet of snow? - no problem. A word to the wise, if you are "ecologically friendly", or are on a fixed budget, do not look at a TLC. I get about 5 MPG around town and 8 MPG on the highway. Build quality is second to none, it's like a vault inside. A go- anywhere, do anything ego booster. When everyone else can't go anywhere, you can go EVERYWHERE. Highly recommended.

Has lasted 140k
By cardriver on 02/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

If there is snow or you are in an accident, this is a great vehicle. Otherwise, it lacks in power.

Quality doesn't come cheap
By crash on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my Land Cruiser for just over a year now. I'm not the mini van type, with four kids we needed something that seated 6. My old Wagoneer guzzled gas, though the Cruiser has an appetite of it's own, the 4.0 doesn't do to bad considering the SUV weighs in at 6k lbs. I've had to make a few minor repairs, but that's to be expected with a used vehicle with over 100k miles. Fuel economy is acceptable for such a large vehicle as long as you keep your foot out of it. Would not suggest towing...that's why I still have my Wagoneer!

Quality doesn't come cheap
By Crash on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Gutless Wonder
By ARB on 12/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the most gutless vehicle I have ever driven. It has also broken down more than any vehicle I have ever owned! That includes the old '69 Land Cruiser that I owned years ago. Do yourself a favor, and wait until you can afford a V8 powered 1998 or newer model. Don't waste your money, or your GAS on this hog!

Lemon Central
By Jack Lawless on 05/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I was excited to get this vehicle and hoped it would be an excellent family car with the 3rd seat. I knew the gas mileage wouldn't be great but I had no idea in a 6 cyl. engine I would only get 9MPG with the worst power of any vehicle I have ever driven.

Best in the buisness
By nupe on 02/26/02 15:47 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I did 85 mph in the bliding snow for six hours straight, threw Illinois to Memphis with out loosing trackion.