Used 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Toyota Land-cruiser - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (18 reviews )

Toyota Land Tank
By aj13

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1991 Land Cruiser in Oct of 2009 with just over 120K on the odometer (a rare find, indeed). Although not perfect, the pros definitely outweigh the cons, especially when you consider this is a 20 year-old used vehicle. Toyota quality is impeccable as expected; this truck will run forever if you treat it right and do all the correct maintenence. Things are going to break on a 20 year-old vehicle, and it isn't going to be cheap, but compared to anything else out there that's 20 years-old, the problems are minimal. If you want a go-anywhere vehicle that can seat 7 and last a lifetime, look no further than the Toyota Land Cruiser.

Favorite Features

Will go anywhere, Toyota Quality, still looks great, limited production runs make this a classic in the making.

Suggested Improvements

Lack of power, bad gas mileage, maintenence can be pricey (if you take your vehicle to the dealership).

Best SUV for the Money
By Toyota Man

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Land Cruiser in pretty bad shape, but I had the engine gone through from every seal and hose, and everything in between. Although the initial investment to get it running right cost a lot, I could not be happier. In the time since then I have added a new paint job, all original, new tires, battery, and went through the interior to replace missing parts. One modification I would tell everyone to do, is switch it to partial 4WD, this allows for 2WD during the the summer, or non-bad weather/roads. I bought my kit for the front differential and hubs from Australia for about $500, and the labor brought everything to under $1000.00. This has saved me tons of money. It goes anywhere.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the exterior rugged features, strong running engine, extremely durable, and if something breaks it really is not that hard to fix. The interior is large, and the seats fold out of the way for extra storage and space.

Suggested Improvements

Needs arm rest, cup holders (plural), a lot of people complain about power, but it might no be fast, but it has power so no complaint here, I would just say I wish the seats had more cushion. In all actuality this SUV is amazing and rugged, and that is why I bought it,it does not need the everything

Land Crusher
By Dirty Dave

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the best overall vehicle I have ever owned. It has been virtually maintenance free in all areas except for routine stuff like tires, battery, brakes, etc. It is hard to hurt it either on or off road. It has never left me on the side of the road. Currently on only the third set of tires since new (230000 miles).

Favorite Features

Great visibility in a feel safe vehicle. Has never failed to start.

Suggested Improvements

This year there was no V8 available so vehicle is under powered but torque is good. Gas mileage is atrocious.

A Great Drive
By Grantchester

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this since new - after the 1990 NY auto show it was a "must buy" even at $5,000 over the sticker. I bought it with the objective of getting long term reliability, low maintenance and a model shape that would be retained - all have been proven correct and have easily compensated for the high gas consumption (but it takes 87!). The one change I have made and would recommend (fenderbenders are expensive) is to replace the front bumper assembly with an ARB (not the cheap consmetic junk). Its been a great car, years of family skiing (where the Volvo couldn't go), team rides to soccer tournaments, beach fishing, loading up for college, carting rhodies, trees, lawnmowers etc.

Favorite Features

Space and flexibilty with the three rows of seats and a fully removable last row.

Suggested Improvements

Swap a $650 ARB for the cheap and very expensive $4,000 front "bumper" assembly. Also make sure you tuck all the seat hooks in properly when you put seats up etc. - or they will get crushed.

The Best
By hoss99611

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I love the 1991 toyota land cruiser. It has all the good looks of todays vehicles and holds its value well. The size can't be beat and with it able to seat 8 it can hold a family plus extra's.

Favorite Features

Graound clearance and 8 passanger seating

Suggested Improvements

None