1991 Toyota Land Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (0 review )
Toyota Land Tank
By aj13 on 03/31/11 14:27 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1991 Land Cruiser in Oct of 2009 with just over 120K on the odometer (a rare find, indeed). Although not perfect, the pros definitely outweigh the cons, especially when you consider this is a 20 year-old used vehicle. Toyota quality is impeccable as expected; this truck will run forever if you treat it right and do all the correct maintenence. Things are going to break on a 20 year-old vehicle, and it isn't going to be cheap, but compared to anything else out there that's 20 years-old, the problems are minimal. If you want a go-anywhere vehicle that can seat 7 and last a lifetime, look no further than the Toyota Land Cruiser.

Best SUV for the Money
By Toyota Man on 08/24/09 09:57 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Land Cruiser in pretty bad shape, but I had the engine gone through from every seal and hose, and everything in between. Although the initial investment to get it running right cost a lot, I could not be happier. In the time since then I have added a new paint job, all original, new tires, battery, and went through the interior to replace missing parts. One modification I would tell everyone to do, is switch it to partial 4WD, this allows for 2WD during the the summer, or non-bad weather/roads. I bought my kit for the front differential and hubs from Australia for about $500, and the labor brought everything to under $1000.00. This has saved me tons of money. It goes anywhere.

Land Crusher
By Dirty Dave on 09/05/07 08:13 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the best overall vehicle I have ever owned. It has been virtually maintenance free in all areas except for routine stuff like tires, battery, brakes, etc. It is hard to hurt it either on or off road. It has never left me on the side of the road. Currently on only the third set of tires since new (230000 miles).

A Great Drive
By Grantchester on 12/31/05 17:35 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this since new - after the 1990 NY auto show it was a "must buy" even at $5,000 over the sticker. I bought it with the objective of getting long term reliability, low maintenance and a model shape that would be retained - all have been proven correct and have easily compensated for the high gas consumption (but it takes 87!). The one change I have made and would recommend (fenderbenders are expensive) is to replace the front bumper assembly with an ARB (not the cheap consmetic junk). Its been a great car, years of family skiing (where the Volvo couldn't go), team rides to soccer tournaments, beach fishing, loading up for college, carting rhodies, trees, lawnmowers etc.

The Best
By hoss99611 on 03/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I love the 1991 toyota land cruiser. It has all the good looks of todays vehicles and holds its value well. The size can't be beat and with it able to seat 8 it can hold a family plus extra's.

Will Always drive a Land Cruiser
By zeth on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 2nd 1991 L/C. I love them! I've been to the mountains in NC, the desert in southern Utah and the mud in Florida and never get this car stuck. After all that I feel safe and secure driving everyday because I know I can drive anywhere. Am negotiating for a 1997 right now.

love it !
By Scott/Lori on 02/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

Weve got a big family and expect to pay a bit more in gas for a ride that holds 8 comfortably. Live in the northeast and this truck holds the road like no other in snow and junk.She has 160,00 miles on her and runs like theres at least another 150,oo in her. not a racecar but strong enough for the boats we pull.

great 4x4 but needs power
By chonman on 09/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

This thruck is great but lacks power, I would recomend buying a 1993 or newer with the 4.5 liter V6 which has 212 HP over a 1991 or 1992 which has a v6 with only 155 HP. I love the 4x4 and the ability of this truck second to none! Have had this truck all over mexico and does not over heat and can climb sand and terrain that should not be attempted by other stock vehicles!

our lemon
By wasted $ on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

many many problems, all started with not wanting it to leak, fixed the leak. the starter contacts went out, the the power steering gear box. ultimately, it cold have broke in half and we now find ourselves holding both halves.

Second to NONE
By AZ Cruiser on 03/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

Great Vehicle! Was in Wyoming for the Blizzard of 2003. Couldn't be stopped by mother nature. Pulls my boat like a tractor. Not the most zippy vehicle, but it is built like a rock. Twelve yrs old and is better than any 3-4 yr old domestic!