Used 2014 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Great Tow Vehicle for Gross weight under 3000 lbs.
By Dan S

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV XLE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased this vehicle with the optional tow package which is wiring connections for 5 wire system, integral receiver, transmission cooler, and larger alternator. This was wired for five wire, I converted it to 7 wire with brake control so I could have electric brakes on my towed travel trailer. Mileage when towing a 3000 lb travel trailer is around 12 mpg. Best I ever got for one tank of gas was 15.5 mpg & the worst was 8 mpg. This was against a 40-50 mph headwind. I have one rear shock replaced under warranty as it was leaking and rear trailer arm replaced as part of a service bulletin also under warranty. Rides nice, tows great, and comfortable ride.

Nice SUV
By Yuri

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV LE Plus 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought in April 2014. Nice car, but has 2 problem with interior: 1) Left rear view mirror blocking a view when you perform left turn 2) When driver's seat is up, then difficult to get in car to sit (right knee cannot fit between steering wheel and seat). Bad experience with dealership: I bought in April 28, 2014. Six months later car did not start. I discover that battery on my car was replaced in dealership by bad battery during a service. How did I discover that? Date on manufacture battery was May 2, 2014 (4 days later I bought a car). Nice job dealership. After that I do not bring my car to any mechanic. I do services myself.

Everything is great except for fuel economy
By Farkhod

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV LE Plus 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am enjoying this 3rd generation Toyota Highlander 2014 LE Plus AWD for 2 years now. Reliability of this vehicle is awesome. But the fuel economy is another story. When I bought it new with only 3 miles on an odometer the sticker suggested it will be 20 mpg combined. After 2 years of combined city/hwy driving (almost always with green Eco sign on) my best average is 15.6 mpg, which is somewhat disappointing. Also rear-view camera sometimes malfunctions and couple of times the car key got stacked so I could not start the engine for like 10 minutes or so.

First Toyota
By Jorge

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV XLE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The car handles nice and is very comfortable. Gas mileage is as advertised. My only complaint is that I have a second row bench seat that is a 60/40 split. There is a constant metal rattling sound coming from the hinge of the 60 side and the 40 side vibrates when I hit pot holes, man hole covers, construction, etc. Its not the tires. When I'm on the highway the seat does not vibrate. However, the metal rattling from the hinge never stops. It doesn't give you the feeling of buying a "solid" vehicle.
Also, the Entunes freezes on me or re-boots on its own. Have to bring it to the dealer to be looked at.

Tunnel vision
By Ken

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV XLE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I like the Highlander except for the poor visibilty to the rear, passenger side, and backup camera screen in daylight.

The visibility out the rear window is like the light at the end of a tunnel. It is limited and poor and the rear window is designed for looks rather than safety visibility concerns.

It is very difficult to see the images on the backup camera screen during the day. You would have to strain your eyes to look at the screen to try and make out what is behind. This creates a problem of spending too much time looking at the screen and ignoring the other surrounding areas. The screen's visibility is great when it is darker outside.

It is difficult to see low cars on the passenger side. The blindspot is major problem when preparing to change lanes.

I wish I had bought the backup sensors and other sensors. I wish there was a retrofit.

Because of the visibility problems, the Highlander is not the safest or easy vehicle to drive because of the visibilty problems.

It is very unsafe to accelerate to fast on the Highlander. Do not accelerate too fast as your grip on the steering wheel could be overcome and the front wheels will turn uncontrollably from side to side. You can easily lose control and crash by accelerating too quickly. I never had this problem on any car I have driven.