2014 Toyota Highlander Consumer Review: Quiet and comfortable

2014 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Review

XLE 4dr SUV (3.5L V6 AWD 6-speed Automatic)

Quiet and comfortable
By albanyew on

2014 Toyota Highlander XLE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased the 2014 Highlander after owning a 2006 model for eight years and 130K miles, with minimal problems. The 2006 was a hybrid, and I miss the better MPG, but without a tax credit I couldn't justify the additional $12K (2014 hybrids only come in the highest trim levels). I'm 6'3", and the new model is just enough bigger inside to sleep in comfortably with the second and third rows down. I'm a conservative driver, and so far (1900 miles) I'm getting 20.6 mpg overall; when it's time for a tire change, Michelins with lower rolling resistance may add a mile or two. The steering is more responsive than the previous model.

Nice infotainment system, though I doubt that I'll keep XM radio after the free period. Backup camera is a big plus. "Eco" icon reminds you not to accelerate quickly, especially uphill, if you want to maximize MPG. I got the captain's chairs for the second row, which I think is best unless you absolutely need the extra seat.

I wish it had a full-size spare, but that feature seems to be heading toward extinction because of MPG requirements. A CVT transmission, which the hybrid version has, would likely boost MPG. Center console is capacious, but check to ensure that it doesn't intrude too much on your seating area; for me (240 pounds) it's OK.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review