2014 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Rear end noise
By flyron777 on 09/06/14 10:12 AM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Platinum 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought a Limited Platinum 2014 highlander which now has a bit over 4,000 miles on it. It started making a "bump bump" sound when braking...sounds like something is rolling around in a truck, except there is no trunk! And, nothing at all 2nd and 3rd row seating except seats! Took it into to Toyota to get the noise fixed...and they heard it, checked it out for a couple of day. The final response we received from Toyota Corporate was keep driving it until they had enough complaints to recall or more thoroughly investigate it. That is not the espouse you want when you pay almost 50k on a new vehicle! If your vehicle has the same issue, please respond...

Poorly designed roof rack
By edmundsperson on 09/01/14 11:53 AM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV XLE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The roof rack cross bars can only be installed 27 Inches apart!!!!! There is no other place to install the Toyota factory cross bar for greater spacing. There are no other aftermarket roof racks(Yakima, Thule, etc) that will fit on the roof because of the decorative chrome coated plastic roof rails. The Yakima roof rack(Q-Tower) can only be installed if there are no decorative chrome coated plastic roof rails. You could remove the decorative roof rails. LOL. Toyota claims to have asked the public for input on the design. There is also the claim who uses the rack anyway.

All great except the roof rack
By edmundsperson on 08/25/14 14:33 PM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV XLE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The roof rack is fixed 27 inches apart only. The racks cannot be moved beyond 27 inches for a larger separation. I have not been able to find an after market roof rack that will fit on the roof for a greater separation. Toyota claims to have researched this problem by asking people. Toyota also said no one uses the rack anyway. LOL. If you need to carry bikes, surfboards, kayaks, canoes, etc. you will have to carry them with racks that are only 27 inches apart. Would that 27" separation be safe? Toyota must think so in their design. Good luck!

Love this vehicle
By pinner72 on 07/11/14 20:41 PM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV XLE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have the XLE AWD and in its first 5000 miles the vehicle is all I could ask for. It is a pretty SUV, it is quiet, and it delivers good mileage. I have had four 4-Runners over the years and this truck trumps them all. We recently towed a boat into Canada and my truck was loaded with gear and friends and we got 20.7 mpg on the trip. I have the captain's chairs and that made for a very comfortable ride for the back seat boys. We took turns driving and to a man they all expressed the notion that it was a remarkable SUV.

A few steps below excellent
By mugman1 on 06/22/14 18:07 PM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought a Limited AWD to replace our old 05 Odyssey minivan. Good looking vehicle especially in maroon with black interior. We shopped Mazda and Honda (their products were dated) and Acura MDX (overpriced in my opinion). Got out the door with the tech package for $38K. Good value but at a cost. The interior design is quite nice, but there is evidence of cost-cutting in the hard plastic materials below arm level, the fell of some of the switchgear, and in the carpet (it feels like trunk liner material). It rides well, handles securely and has plenty of power when pushed, but it does drive "big" and the engine is coarse; the Odyssey's engine was stronger and sounded better.

Not a Seven Passenger Vehicle
By ztimulating on 06/07/14 11:50 AM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Well these must be selling lot hot cakes because the dealer tried to add $500 to the price when we picked it up. We ordered the Limited in order to get the safety package toyota calls the "tech package". the tech package costs $1500 but of course only available on the highest trim - worked on us. I took the car to work on volunteered to drive everyone to lunch. OMG how embarrassing, each guy only got one "cheek" on the back seat. dont try to stuff three grown ups in the back seat, it doesn't work.

Our first Toyota -- it's a mixed bag
By gregrasa on 06/03/14 12:11 PM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We have a Volvo XC70, Honda Accord, Mustang. Added Highlander to get 7 seats. It's good, but suffers in comparison to the others. Nice inside, but nothing like the Volvo. Drives fine, but not *fun* like the Accord, Mustang. It's an SUV, so it's doomed to be a lummox. Front of car looks nice. Rear: odd! JBL stereo: Sound was muddy, bad. Dealership clueless. I finally discovered, in an Entune menu that was *not* Audio, a setting for "surround sound." Changed it to "stereo." Was like a veil was lifted. Still, the sound seems all up in the dashboard -- you must slide the fader nearly all the way back to get sound from all around. Overall: Competent, quiet, boring. That's Toyota!

Died Before 2000 miles
By maddyg on 05/21/14 04:58 AM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV LE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased the 2014 Highlander after months of researching the 3-row SUV market and test driving about 10 different vehicles. I loved the new vehicle when I first got it, comfortable, smooth, quiet, and fun to drive. It started having problems turning over to start a few days ago, now it won't start at all. I've had it for 6 weeks, less than 2000 miles. I turned off all the automatic dome lights, keep everything off when I turn it off and until I start it, music, A/C, EVERYTHING! I've never had so many problems with a vehicle starting, worst vehicle I have owned, if you want to pay over $30,000 for something to sit dead in the parking lot then buy this car!

NOISE FROM BEHIND
By nouxiong on 05/19/14 20:28 PM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV XLE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bough a toyota Highlander xle awd 2014, and i have a issue 2 weeks after my purchase. When i step on the break, and release it, i hear a strange noise from behind. I send it to my Toyota dealer, and they said that all Toyota on the lot have that problem. It will be my last Toyota made in the Us. Do not buy Toyota people........

Platinum Is Golden!
By md4runnerman on 05/19/14 18:04 PM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Platinum 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I got the Limited Platinum about 10 days ago. All I can say is wow. I love the sharper looking exterior except the front grille, but it is growing on me. The interior is gorgeous and plush. I finally got the almond leather interior after many years not having it and I love the contrast of colors. It is a sharper driving vehicle than the 2011 Limited that I traded in. Better feel of the road and handling. The new 6 speed automatic is very encouraging so far as far as gas mileage. Seems better than the 2011 and it is brand new with very little mileage so the mileage should actually get better after I drive it a few thousand miles! Puts a smile on my face even more than the 2011 did.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Toyota Highlander Suv in VA is:

$160 per month*