Used 2014 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Nice SUV
By Yuri

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV LE Plus 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought in April 2014. Nice car, but has 2 problem with interior: 1) Left rear view mirror blocking a view when you perform left turn 2) When driver's seat is up, then difficult to get in car to sit (right knee cannot fit between steering wheel and seat). Bad experience with dealership: I bought in April 28, 2014. Six months later car did not start. I discover that battery on my car was replaced in dealership by bad battery during a service. How did I discover that? Date on manufacture battery was May 2, 2014 (4 days later I bought a car). Nice job dealership. After that I do not bring my car to any mechanic. I do services myself.

Everything is great except for fuel economy
By Farkhod

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV LE Plus 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am enjoying this 3rd generation Toyota Highlander 2014 LE Plus AWD for 2 years now. Reliability of this vehicle is awesome. But the fuel economy is another story. When I bought it new with only 3 miles on an odometer the sticker suggested it will be 20 mpg combined. After 2 years of combined city/hwy driving (almost always with green Eco sign on) my best average is 15.6 mpg, which is somewhat disappointing. Also rear-view camera sometimes malfunctions and couple of times the car key got stacked so I could not start the engine for like 10 minutes or so.

First Toyota
By Jorge

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV XLE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The car handles nice and is very comfortable. Gas mileage is as advertised. My only complaint is that I have a second row bench seat that is a 60/40 split. There is a constant metal rattling sound coming from the hinge of the 60 side and the 40 side vibrates when I hit pot holes, man hole covers, construction, etc. Its not the tires. When I'm on the highway the seat does not vibrate. However, the metal rattling from the hinge never stops. It doesn't give you the feeling of buying a "solid" vehicle.
Also, the Entunes freezes on me or re-boots on its own. Have to bring it to the dealer to be looked at.

Tunnel vision
By Ken

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV XLE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I like the Highlander except for the poor visibilty to the rear, passenger side, and backup camera screen in daylight.

The visibility out the rear window looks like looking out at the light at the end of a tunnel. It is limited and poor and the windows seem to be designed for looks rather than safety visibility concerns.

It is very difficult to see the images on the backup camera screen during the day. You would have to strain your eyes to look at the screen to try and make out what is behind. This creates a problem of spending too much time looking at the screen and ignoring the other surrounding areas. The screen's visibility is great when it is darker outside.

The passenger side's visibility is poor too.

I wish I had bought the backup sensors and other sensors. I wish there was a retrofit.

It is very unsafe to accelerate to fast on the Highlander. Do not accelerate too fast as your grip on the steering wheel could be overcome and the front wheels will turn uncontrollably from side to side. You can easily lose control and crash by accelerating too quickly. I never had this problem on any car I have driven.

My greatest CUV ever
By Hugo

2014 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Highlander in July 2014 and never look back this is by far the best SUV/vehicle I've ever had it has a smooth ride is it's comfortable and has lots of room for storage. I would definitely recommend this truck to anybody looking for space comfort and great reliability.