2013 Toyota Highlander Consumer Review: Fails to start after sitting

2013 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Review

Plus 4dr SUV (3.5L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Fails to start after sitting
By kathyd4 on

2013 Toyota Highlander Plus 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I only have 8000 miles and I got the car in Feb 2013. Every time I go away and leave the car for a week, it won't start when I return. Every time the temperature drops below 25F and it sits even 4 days, it won't start. Toyota has replaced the battery twice although the second time they said there was nothing wrong with it. They have run diagnostics and say there is nothing wrong. Every car in my neighborhood starts. Our Honda starts, our old Blazer starts, but not the Highlander. I am soooo disappointed with this vehicle. Toyota is supposed to be reliable, but mine isn't.
By loves_winter
on 02/26/14 18:31 PM (PST)

My 2013 highlander has a similar problem. Twice it started, but immediately stalled as if it was running out of gas. Many engine lights were flashing. When it restarted it ran fine. I chalked it up to a computer glitch.

By profwatson
on 03/20/14 10:54 AM (PDT)

You are unlucky. It is like insurance. The insurance company can not tell which specific person will suffer a loss, only in total, over the population. Toyotas are more reliable than Chryslers, but sometimes you are lucky and get a 300 that is not junk.

By vincent33
on 02/11/14 12:49 PM (PST)

Sad, if what you say is true. A good dealer mechanic would check for a "switch off drain" insert a multi-meter between the ground and ground terminal, and see if there is a draw. Then start removing fuses till the draw is narrowed down. Easy peasy. This is nothing that can't be fixed, and does not make your car a lemon either, things do go wrong, and things can be fixed.