Used 2013 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

2013 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Awesome MPG and comfortable ride, no cargo space
By jakeh56@gmail.com

2013 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

We bought a 2013 Highlander Base because it is the only model with a 4cyl. It gets great MPG for a Crossover, and has surprising power for a 4cyl. The front seats and back seats are really comfortable with the exception of the middle seat in the back row. It is seriously about a foot wide, so no more than small children will be able to sit in the middle. The third row seats are not comfortable. The Highlander handles and drives great. After 6 months of owning the Highlander we are selling it to buy a Honda Pilot. The only reason is the storage space in the hatch. The Highlander appears to be designed with the idea of only using the third row on occasion. When you are using the third row we cannot even put a 24 pack of water flat in the hatch. You have to turn it sideways. We were willing to sacrifice luxury for the MPG, but when using the third row the cargo is almost completely useless.

mold, wet carpet
By Vanna

2013 Toyota Highlander SUV Plus 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

After 2yrs purchased the car, I have a problem now that the water leaked inside the car. When it rains, all the carpet is wet, especially the driver seat's carpet is soaked with water. I removed all the carpet out to clean, now the car has the mold smell, every morning my 2 sons sneezed (allergy from the strong smell of the mold in the car).
It happened last week when it rains, I started to pay more attention about it and double check why it leaks in the car. I can't find any solutions and it rains again in the last 3 days, my car is getting worst so I took it to the local Toyota dealer service for them to check. I found out that my car is not the first one that has a problem, and after the diagnosed they'll fixed it by replaced the whole car carpet.

After a week that they fixed my car, the car is now still have that mold smell and my sons still have allergy every time they're in the car. I'll sell it as soon as I pay off the car.

I suggest anyone to review it carefully, so you won't run into this problem at Toyota.
I live in Hayward, California. This review on March 7, 2016.

Great Family Vehicle!
By NMendoza

2013 Toyota Highlander SUV Plus 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had been reading reviews on the highlander before purchasing the truck , I am happy to say that we picked the right vehicle. It drives very smooth, the middle seats are reclinable for extra comfort. I can perfectly fit 3 car seats. I live in Texas and weather is very hot and humid so I love that it has AC vents for everybody in the truck, plus its own rear AC.
Cons: It has a small cargo space

Great car, not true it can tow 5,000 lbs
By manny52

2013 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle, it is beautiful, drives like a car but moves 6 people.

I am writing this review to alert others of a problem about towing. Toyota says that, with a towing package, the 3.5 L V6 Highlander can tow 5,000 lbs. But the package comes with a 4-pin electrical trailer connector which has no connection for electrical brakes. In Canada, it is illegal to tow more than 3,000 lbs without trailer brakes. Toyota cannot install a 7-pin connector on the Highlander. Therefore, Toyota's claim of a 5,000 lbs towing capacity is UNTRUE. The true towing capacity is less than 3,000 lbs.

Fun to drive, transports 6 adults.

More storage room in the central console.

Everything is perfect
By manny52

2013 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this vehicle for 9 months and are totally satisfied. We tried the Ford Explorer, the Honda Pilot and the Nissan Pathfinder but they all had one or more irritating aspect. The Highlander was perfect; everything was just right: the horsepower, steering, suspension, seats. It drives like a car and can transport 6 or 7 people (but not their luggage).

Drives like a much smaller vehicle. Everything is adjusted right.

The navigation system is not user-friendly.