2013 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Entune sysem is garbage
By phillymic22 on 07/30/13 09:38 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love the look and feel of my Toyota Highlander and it is a pleasant ride until you try to use the Entune radio system. The HD radio is awful, constantly goes in and out, the satellite radio constantly loses reception and the GPS system leaves a lot to be desired. I am so disappointed with this system, I am starting to regret paying top dollar for a limited model. I will need to replace this system to save my sanity.

Rear Entertainment System issue
By jkb7 on 11/09/12 23:36 PM (PST)

2013 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought this vehicle with rear ent. sys and was extremely disappointed to find that Toyota decided to apparently use a new radio this year that is not connected to the rear entertainment system. Audio for movies is available through the included wireless headphones or you have to use an aftermarket solution like a bluetooth connection (not provided) or run a manual cable from one of the headphone jacks of the ent. system to the auxillary jack on the radio which should work in theory. Considering Toyota is still charging a premium price for the Rear Entertainment System, and the dealers are not even aware that the sound is not avbl thru the speakers, I wanted to warn potential buyers.

Wheel Bearing
By ellas on 06/09/13 14:00 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Highlander SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Took my new Highlander (with 2300 miles on it) on vacation to Hilton Head Island - after arrival, started hearing a roaring noise from left rear tire area - stopped by Toyota dealership and they discovered the wheel bearing needed to be replaced. Had to delay my scheduled return home for a couple of days, thus putting me into the midst of a tropical storm. Very inconvenient and frightening. After all the research I conducted before purchasing a new car, I was shocked that I became stranded while on vacation in my brand new car. Needless to say, I feel uncomfortable about driving this car for a long distance again.

2013 Highlander
By atw1 on 03/16/14 04:48 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought in September 2013. Definitely has trouble staring in winter??? Makes an excessively loud humming noise in cold weather coming from the transmission. Noise disappears after vehicle has warmed up. Ride is adequate - steering too loose. Not what I was expecting in a vehicle at the price.

Fails to start after sitting
By kathyd4 on 02/10/14 11:08 AM (PST)

2013 Toyota Highlander Plus 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I only have 8000 miles and I got the car in Feb 2013. Every time I go away and leave the car for a week, it won't start when I return. Every time the temperature drops below 25F and it sits even 4 days, it won't start. Toyota has replaced the battery twice although the second time they said there was nothing wrong with it. They have run diagnostics and say there is nothing wrong. Every car in my neighborhood starts. Our Honda starts, our old Blazer starts, but not the Highlander. I am soooo disappointed with this vehicle. Toyota is supposed to be reliable, but mine isn't.

Mixed Review
By tnboy on 07/18/13 18:37 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Less than a week ago I bought a 2013 Highlander Limited with no options or accessories. I rated it three stars in all categories because I've had it for only a few days. The good: Exterior is up to Toyota's relatively high standards...fit and finish appear to be good. Interior room is good for four adults. Engine power is adequate for the weight of the vehicle but not superb. The bad: Entry space at every door is too small. Either the doors don't open wide enough or the seats (even in their most rearward positions) don't allow enough room to comfortably enter the vehicle. The interior has way too many plastic surfaces for a $38K vehicle (more below).

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Toyota Highlander in VA is:

$111 per month*