Used 2013 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2013 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Pretty Happy
By lilduke

2013 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Got my Highlander Limited in December, and so far I love it. It was change coming from a luxury brand but the trade-offs were totally worth it. I purchased the Highlander mainly to transport my family (2 and 4 legged) and still have some room left over. I have been able to do so with no issues. The ride is fantastic and the gas mileage is actually pretty good. I took it on a 1500mi round trip expedition over the holidays and on the first day I filled up twice, which was surprising for a full sized SUV. On the way back, the weather sucked (snow) and I was in 4WD most of the way, however I only filled up three times.

Favorite Features

The space, the third row seating folds down into the floor, appears to have less blind spots than my previous SUV's, pretty good with gas mileage, the heated seats work pretty well and have a better range of heat control.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are nice, but not as comfortable as I would expect them to be and after several hours of driving and adjusting the seats, my back was bothering me (never had this problem with my last vehicle). The Entune app and program needs a lot of enhancements and the whole thing with iphones needing to be plugged in via usb to the car in order for the Entune to work is actually kind of bogus for a $40K vehicle. It would be nice to have memory seats and side mirrors on the limited as well as HID lights.

a dream drive
By toyopetlover

2013 Toyota Highlander Plus 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in my prius after I got into an accident and decided to go bigger, and after much research: tada : highlander. It was the perfect car that was not too big, and not too small. And with the addition of the plus package, perfect for the budget. Out here in CA, you can pretty much get this for about 30k or so before TTL. I think it's a pretty good bargain comparing the other choices out there. Mind you, the RX 350 has no 3rd row. People say it is for kids, but for short trips, it's definitely ok. For long trips, still possible, but you'd probably need to do some rotation. Plenty of cargo room. Very quiet ride. V6 is thirsty for gas, but very powerful for moving around on highway.

Favorite Features

Updated Stereo, that is on a 6in screen. Backup camera is standard on PLUS model. Roof racks look nice. Fog Lamps for extra safety. Abosolutely love the heated mirrors defogger for those winter mornings or foggy mornings. Has USB input (but ipod only). Lot of cup holders! Good wipers. Sharp design. Vanilla cabin, but easy on the eyes. Lots of storage. Easy to manuver. Good on highway with lower road noise compared to prius.

Suggested Improvements

Include 29.00 cargo net. Improve instrumentation cluster with clean lines. Less hard plastics that scratch easily. All AUTO windows, not only drivers side. Better speakers.

It's okay.
By luvtoyota10

2013 Toyota Highlander Plus 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

So, a year and seven days ago I traded my 2010 Toyota Venza in for a 2013 Toyota Highlander. I got the highlander for easier access for my family. Its a good car and that's it. It handles pleasantly, but its no where near fun to drive. Handles great in snow. I've had no technical or mechanical Issues only build quality issues. Today I tried moving the second row captain chair on the drivers side foward to put something in the third row and the lever on the top of the seat back completely came of. I was not pulling hard at all. I am extremely disappointed and my Toyota dealership WILL fix this, I would expect better from a Toyota. The interior is already lower quality than my past Toyotas.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, quietness, comfortable, Sizzling Crimson Mica color, Touch screen radio with bluetooth audio. AWD. That's it.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it was more engaging to drive, it's pretty dated compared to the competition. Wait for the 2014 if you can. The interior is very cheep feeling. It should have a better build quality. And I wish XM was a standard feature on all of them.

4th & Favorite Toyota!
By taszmama

2013 Toyota Highlander SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Toyota has been a part of my life for 20 yrs. I love the reliability and in recent years, the stereo system are far better than other makes. The suspension and light weight power are impressive over my previous 4runners. Enjoy the room and captain seats in the rear. I saw reviews on the navigation, etc. Mine work just fine but there is a lot of stuff that requires 2 manuals for multiple options. This is a fun vehicle to drive I can feel the engine power over heavier older SUV's I have owned. The sound system is better than ever and Toyota has higher quality systems in general. The only thing I don't like is how Toyota does not have paint durability like older models.

Favorite Features

The Suspension, Power and Stereo System are impressive. Toyota Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

More durable paint/ coating, more options with darker interior, the leather could be a little better quality. Gas mileage is still not as good as it should be with the technology available. Hidden storage options would be appreciated. I miss the tailgate I had in my first 4runner.

Everything is perfect
By manny52

2013 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this vehicle for 9 months and are totally satisfied. We tried the Ford Explorer, the Honda Pilot and the Nissan Pathfinder but they all had one or more irritating aspect. The Highlander was perfect; everything was just right: the horsepower, steering, suspension, seats. It drives like a car and can transport 6 or 7 people (but not their luggage).

Favorite Features

Drives like a much smaller vehicle. Everything is adjusted right.

Suggested Improvements

The navigation system is not user-friendly.