Used 2013 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

a dream drive
By toyopetlover

2013 Toyota Highlander Plus 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in my prius after I got into an accident and decided to go bigger, and after much research: tada : highlander. It was the perfect car that was not too big, and not too small. And with the addition of the plus package, perfect for the budget. Out here in CA, you can pretty much get this for about 30k or so before TTL. I think it's a pretty good bargain comparing the other choices out there. Mind you, the RX 350 has no 3rd row. People say it is for kids, but for short trips, it's definitely ok. For long trips, still possible, but you'd probably need to do some rotation. Plenty of cargo room. Very quiet ride. V6 is thirsty for gas, but very powerful for moving around on highway.

Updated Stereo, that is on a 6in screen. Backup camera is standard on PLUS model. Roof racks look nice. Fog Lamps for extra safety. Abosolutely love the heated mirrors defogger for those winter mornings or foggy mornings. Has USB input (but ipod only). Lot of cup holders! Good wipers. Sharp design. Vanilla cabin, but easy on the eyes. Lots of storage. Easy to manuver. Good on highway with lower road noise compared to prius.

Include 29.00 cargo net. Improve instrumentation cluster with clean lines. Less hard plastics that scratch easily. All AUTO windows, not only drivers side. Better speakers.

Highlander
By suvad13

2013 Toyota Highlander Plus 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Highlander 5 weeks ago and have 2200 miles logged. The comfort and practically of the interior is superb. It drives very well, quiet cabin, and we love the bluetooth and rear view camera. The V-6 has plently of power and average 24-26 mpg on the hwy. In mixed driving 22 mpg. There is also plenty of storage.

bluetooth, lift-up glass hatch, big display, and the quiet cabin.

include a tow hitch

It's okay.
By luvtoyota10

2013 Toyota Highlander Plus 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

So, a year and seven days ago I traded my 2010 Toyota Venza in for a 2013 Toyota Highlander. I got the highlander for easier access for my family. Its a good car and that's it. It handles pleasantly, but its no where near fun to drive. Handles great in snow. I've had no technical or mechanical Issues only build quality issues. Today I tried moving the second row captain chair on the drivers side foward to put something in the third row and the lever on the top of the seat back completely came of. I was not pulling hard at all. I am extremely disappointed and my Toyota dealership WILL fix this, I would expect better from a Toyota. The interior is already lower quality than my past Toyotas.

Smooth ride, quietness, comfortable, Sizzling Crimson Mica color, Touch screen radio with bluetooth audio. AWD. That's it.

I wish it was more engaging to drive, it's pretty dated compared to the competition. Wait for the 2014 if you can. The interior is very cheep feeling. It should have a better build quality. And I wish XM was a standard feature on all of them.

4th & Favorite Toyota!
By taszmama

2013 Toyota Highlander SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Toyota has been a part of my life for 20 yrs. I love the reliability and in recent years, the stereo system are far better than other makes. The suspension and light weight power are impressive over my previous 4runners. Enjoy the room and captain seats in the rear. I saw reviews on the navigation, etc. Mine work just fine but there is a lot of stuff that requires 2 manuals for multiple options. This is a fun vehicle to drive I can feel the engine power over heavier older SUV's I have owned. The sound system is better than ever and Toyota has higher quality systems in general. The only thing I don't like is how Toyota does not have paint durability like older models.

The Suspension, Power and Stereo System are impressive. Toyota Reliability.

More durable paint/ coating, more options with darker interior, the leather could be a little better quality. Gas mileage is still not as good as it should be with the technology available. Hidden storage options would be appreciated. I miss the tailgate I had in my first 4runner.

Everything is perfect
By manny52

2013 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this vehicle for 9 months and are totally satisfied. We tried the Ford Explorer, the Honda Pilot and the Nissan Pathfinder but they all had one or more irritating aspect. The Highlander was perfect; everything was just right: the horsepower, steering, suspension, seats. It drives like a car and can transport 6 or 7 people (but not their luggage).

Drives like a much smaller vehicle. Everything is adjusted right.

The navigation system is not user-friendly.