Used 2013 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

From Venza To Highlander
By luvtoyota10

2013 Toyota Highlander Plus 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my 2010 Toyota Venza for this Highlander because I wanted something more refined and comfortable. And I was right with choosing the Highlander. The ride is so quiet that when I had the radio off once, I only heard the A/C when I was going 40 mph. The ride is so smooth, reminds me of a 2011 Toyota Camry I drove. This car is so much more refined than my Venza. So Quiet. Its also easier to get out of, especially for my grandmother. I also feel safer in this. I've only had it for three weeks, So I will do another review after I drive through the snow with it. The car handles well, its not thrilling or bad. The steering is better than My Venzas. This is my 5th Toyota.

The touch screen radio, Bluetooth, AWD, smooth ride, comfy seats, versatility. Stable Handling, quiet cabin, sturdiness. I love the sizzling crimson mica.

I dont like the center stack design, I wish they incorperated the new radio into it without leaving that gap under it. I wish the volume and tuning knobs were bigger like in my fathers 2010 Highlander. Better Third Row.

I did way to much research
By ez2sell

2013 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I researched every car in this class and kept coming back to the Highlander. In sales and I'm a road warrior so comfort, ride, handling and reliability are key. This car characteristics of a SUV but the ride of a luxury car. Very happy with my purchase. However Toyota should include at this price level blind spot sensing mirrors, back up sensors and memory seats. The nav system is a bit difficult to use and should come with lifetime free updates.

I love the bluetooth streaming audio from my Iphone. The ride and handling are superb. The styling is great, beautiful lines but the Highlander still holds onto a utilitarian look that allows for great usable space.

Standard back up sensors, side view mirrors that indicate blind spots and memory seats. A Nav system that's more functional while driving.

Great car, not true it can tow 5,000 lbs
By manny52

2013 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle, it is beautiful, drives like a car but moves 6 people. I am writing this review to alert others of a problem about towing. Toyota says that, with a towing package, the 3.5 L V6 Highlander can tow 5,000 lbs. But the package comes with a 4-pin electrical trailer connector which has no connection for electrical brakes. In Canada, it is illegal to tow more than 3,000 lbs without trailer brakes. Toyota cannot install a 7-pin connector on the Highlander. Therefore, Toyota's claim of a 5,000 lbs towing capacity is UNTRUE. The true towing capacity is less than 3,000 lbs.

Fun to drive, transports 6 adults.

More storage room in the central console.

Pretty Happy
By lilduke

2013 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Got my Highlander Limited in December, and so far I love it. It was change coming from a luxury brand but the trade-offs were totally worth it. I purchased the Highlander mainly to transport my family (2 and 4 legged) and still have some room left over. I have been able to do so with no issues. The ride is fantastic and the gas mileage is actually pretty good. I took it on a 1500mi round trip expedition over the holidays and on the first day I filled up twice, which was surprising for a full sized SUV. On the way back, the weather sucked (snow) and I was in 4WD most of the way, however I only filled up three times.

The space, the third row seating folds down into the floor, appears to have less blind spots than my previous SUV's, pretty good with gas mileage, the heated seats work pretty well and have a better range of heat control.

The seats are nice, but not as comfortable as I would expect them to be and after several hours of driving and adjusting the seats, my back was bothering me (never had this problem with my last vehicle). The Entune app and program needs a lot of enhancements and the whole thing with iphones needing to be plugged in via usb to the car in order for the Entune to work is actually kind of bogus for a $40K vehicle. It would be nice to have memory seats and side mirrors on the limited as well as HID lights.

My Highlander
By luvtoyota10

2013 Toyota Highlander Plus 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got this highlander on the first of december last year. Since then, it has been a great car. I know, it's not that exciting but it repays you with its great reliability. Everything has been fine, despite some issues with routine maintenance at my Toyota Dealer. The steering is unpredictable, it's not dangerous or scary. Sometimes it has a weightier feel (which I like) and other times, a light steering feel. On a trip to Indianapolis I averaged 24mpg there and back. I like the iPhone/iPod integration and back up camera. It does many things well. Quiet ride and handles like a car. It was fantastic in the snow. It went through 6 inches NO prob. Not sure If I like the 2014 Highlander design.

Touch screen radio, back up camera, seating for 7, quiet and comfortable ride, car like handling, The color (Sizzling Crimson Mica). 4WD, visibility, and chrome on the body. Horsepower from the V6 it's great on the highway.

The interior looks bland. I miss having the XM radio like in my venza. I'm going to have to get it installed for an arm and a leg. The seats are comfy but I wish they were firmer. Interior build quality. The biggest improvement should be Driving Dynamics.