Used 2013 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Great car, not true it can tow 5,000 lbs
By manny52

2013 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle, it is beautiful, drives like a car but moves 6 people. I am writing this review to alert others of a problem about towing. Toyota says that, with a towing package, the 3.5 L V6 Highlander can tow 5,000 lbs. But the package comes with a 4-pin electrical trailer connector which has no connection for electrical brakes. In Canada, it is illegal to tow more than 3,000 lbs without trailer brakes. Toyota cannot install a 7-pin connector on the Highlander. Therefore, Toyota's claim of a 5,000 lbs towing capacity is UNTRUE. The true towing capacity is less than 3,000 lbs.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, transports 6 adults.

Suggested Improvements

More storage room in the central console.

Everything is perfect
By manny52

2013 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this vehicle for 9 months and are totally satisfied. We tried the Ford Explorer, the Honda Pilot and the Nissan Pathfinder but they all had one or more irritating aspect. The Highlander was perfect; everything was just right: the horsepower, steering, suspension, seats. It drives like a car and can transport 6 or 7 people (but not their luggage).

Favorite Features

Drives like a much smaller vehicle. Everything is adjusted right.

Suggested Improvements

The navigation system is not user-friendly.

4th & Favorite Toyota!
By taszmama

2013 Toyota Highlander SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Toyota has been a part of my life for 20 yrs. I love the reliability and in recent years, the stereo system are far better than other makes. The suspension and light weight power are impressive over my previous 4runners. Enjoy the room and captain seats in the rear. I saw reviews on the navigation, etc. Mine work just fine but there is a lot of stuff that requires 2 manuals for multiple options. This is a fun vehicle to drive I can feel the engine power over heavier older SUV's I have owned. The sound system is better than ever and Toyota has higher quality systems in general. The only thing I don't like is how Toyota does not have paint durability like older models.

Favorite Features

The Suspension, Power and Stereo System are impressive. Toyota Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

More durable paint/ coating, more options with darker interior, the leather could be a little better quality. Gas mileage is still not as good as it should be with the technology available. Hidden storage options would be appreciated. I miss the tailgate I had in my first 4runner.

Struts busted on 6k miles
By teban

2013 Toyota Highlander Plus 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my highlander in october of 2013 as brand new. After driven 6kmiles, in May of 2014, R/R struts got busted, leaking and noise. I only have two kids, and never loaded it yet with more than 5 people yet until today. So why the hell the struts failed? On 6k miles? Really? Well, I don't know why. It's on the record, i got this car at oak lawn toyota of oak lawn illinois. Repairs were done in oak lawn toyota under warranty. I'm giving it another chance coz I still do trust toyota, I guess I just got unlucky with that strut as a factory defect. It happens, but I'm really bit worried. What if my warranty expires? Well i still do have two years? Crossing my fingers.......

Built to Tow
By osos2

2013 Toyota Highlander SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2013 SE 4WD in January '14 to replace our '11 Murano as we had bought an Escape 17B trailer. It weighs appx. 2600 lbs. loaded, and the Murano wasn't really built for it. All SE's have the tow package included- a must for anyone towing regularly to properly cool engine & trans oil. Ours also came with hitch. The experience in towing is night and day. On paper both vehicles are somewhat similar, however with the 4WD (AWD really), and its extra curb weight. It pulls our trailer easily. Also, the Murano has a CVT trans, and am not sure about the durability of it with significant towing.

Favorite Features

This is our first All Wheel Drive vehicle, and really like how it handles and steers. It tracks. Also like the heated seats- that was a non-negotiable for us after having it in our last 2 cars. Last- we prefer the 5-speed vs. 6-speed the '14 has. Didn't like it in our Enclave as it was hunting constantly- especially around town. I resorted to paddle shifting it. Wife didn't want to.

Suggested Improvements

A tad more bling inside. Murano had it, but that is rare in this price range. Would prefer to have not to have a black dashboard, but can live with it.