2013 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
4th & Favorite Toyota!
By taszmama on 08/12/14 10:48 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Highlander SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Toyota has been a part of my life for 20 yrs. I love the reliability and in recent years, the stereo system are far better than other makes. The suspension and light weight power are impressive over my previous 4runners. Enjoy the room and captain seats in the rear. I saw reviews on the navigation, etc. Mine work just fine but there is a lot of stuff that requires 2 manuals for multiple options. This is a fun vehicle to drive I can feel the engine power over heavier older SUV's I have owned. The sound system is better than ever and Toyota has higher quality systems in general. The only thing I don't like is how Toyota does not have paint durability like older models.

Struts busted on 6k miles
By teban on 06/07/14 19:39 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Highlander Plus 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my highlander in october of 2013 as brand new. After driven 6kmiles, in May of 2014, R/R struts got busted, leaking and noise. I only have two kids, and never loaded it yet with more than 5 people yet until today. So why the hell the struts failed? On 6k miles? Really? Well, I don't know why. It's on the record, i got this car at oak lawn toyota of oak lawn illinois. Repairs were done in oak lawn toyota under warranty. I'm giving it another chance coz I still do trust toyota, I guess I just got unlucky with that strut as a factory defect. It happens, but I'm really bit worried. What if my warranty expires? Well i still do have two years? Crossing my fingers.......

Built to Tow
By osos2 on 03/30/14 11:38 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Highlander SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2013 SE 4WD in January '14 to replace our '11 Murano as we had bought an Escape 17B trailer. It weighs appx. 2600 lbs. loaded, and the Murano wasn't really built for it. All SE's have the tow package included- a must for anyone towing regularly to properly cool engine & trans oil. Ours also came with hitch. The experience in towing is night and day. On paper both vehicles are somewhat similar, however with the 4WD (AWD really), and its extra curb weight. It pulls our trailer easily. Also, the Murano has a CVT trans, and am not sure about the durability of it with significant towing.

2013 Highlander
By atw1 on 03/16/14 04:48 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought in September 2013. Definitely has trouble staring in winter??? Makes an excessively loud humming noise in cold weather coming from the transmission. Noise disappears after vehicle has warmed up. Ride is adequate - steering too loose. Not what I was expecting in a vehicle at the price.

Fails to start after sitting
By kathyd4 on 02/10/14 11:08 AM (PST)

2013 Toyota Highlander Plus 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I only have 8000 miles and I got the car in Feb 2013. Every time I go away and leave the car for a week, it won't start when I return. Every time the temperature drops below 25F and it sits even 4 days, it won't start. Toyota has replaced the battery twice although the second time they said there was nothing wrong with it. They have run diagnostics and say there is nothing wrong. Every car in my neighborhood starts. Our Honda starts, our old Blazer starts, but not the Highlander. I am soooo disappointed with this vehicle. Toyota is supposed to be reliable, but mine isn't.

It's okay.
By luvtoyota10 on 12/08/13 15:25 PM (PST)

2013 Toyota Highlander Plus 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

So, a year and seven days ago I traded my 2010 Toyota Venza in for a 2013 Toyota Highlander. I got the highlander for easier access for my family. Its a good car and that's it. It handles pleasantly, but its no where near fun to drive. Handles great in snow. I've had no technical or mechanical Issues only build quality issues. Today I tried moving the second row captain chair on the drivers side foward to put something in the third row and the lever on the top of the seat back completely came of. I was not pulling hard at all. I am extremely disappointed and my Toyota dealership WILL fix this, I would expect better from a Toyota. The interior is already lower quality than my past Toyotas.

Entune sysem is garbage
By phillymic22 on 07/30/13 09:38 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love the look and feel of my Toyota Highlander and it is a pleasant ride until you try to use the Entune radio system. The HD radio is awful, constantly goes in and out, the satellite radio constantly loses reception and the GPS system leaves a lot to be desired. I am so disappointed with this system, I am starting to regret paying top dollar for a limited model. I will need to replace this system to save my sanity.

Mixed Review
By tnboy on 07/18/13 18:37 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Less than a week ago I bought a 2013 Highlander Limited with no options or accessories. I rated it three stars in all categories because I've had it for only a few days. The good: Exterior is up to Toyota's relatively high standards...fit and finish appear to be good. Interior room is good for four adults. Engine power is adequate for the weight of the vehicle but not superb. The bad: Entry space at every door is too small. Either the doors don't open wide enough or the seats (even in their most rearward positions) don't allow enough room to comfortably enter the vehicle. The interior has way too many plastic surfaces for a $38K vehicle (more below).

Wheel Bearing
By ellas on 06/09/13 14:00 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Highlander SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Took my new Highlander (with 2300 miles on it) on vacation to Hilton Head Island - after arrival, started hearing a roaring noise from left rear tire area - stopped by Toyota dealership and they discovered the wheel bearing needed to be replaced. Had to delay my scheduled return home for a couple of days, thus putting me into the midst of a tropical storm. Very inconvenient and frightening. After all the research I conducted before purchasing a new car, I was shocked that I became stranded while on vacation in my brand new car. Needless to say, I feel uncomfortable about driving this car for a long distance again.

a dream drive
By toyopetlover on 04/23/13 20:58 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Highlander Plus 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in my prius after I got into an accident and decided to go bigger, and after much research: tada : highlander. It was the perfect car that was not too big, and not too small. And with the addition of the plus package, perfect for the budget. Out here in CA, you can pretty much get this for about 30k or so before TTL. I think it's a pretty good bargain comparing the other choices out there. Mind you, the RX 350 has no 3rd row. People say it is for kids, but for short trips, it's definitely ok. For long trips, still possible, but you'd probably need to do some rotation. Plenty of cargo room. Very quiet ride. V6 is thirsty for gas, but very powerful for moving around on highway.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Toyota Highlander in VA is:

$111 per month*