Used 2012 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Its a mixed bag
By saveenergy on 02/07/15 09:04 AM (PST)

2012 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

If you value reliability, comfort, value, good overall performance then this Highlander is hard to beat.

Review at 27,000 miles (2.5 years of ownership)
By jzach402 on 11/04/14 10:11 AM (PST)

2012 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Car has been performing flawlessly. Engine power is more than ample for my needs with 270 hp. Handling is ok but could be better. You get more body shift movement in your seat than say a regular size car due to the seat contour. Car rides quite comfortably with 5 passengers during short or long distance driving. Engine noise is quite acceptable. Car handling is quite sloppy especially at quick acceleration (FWD). Car tends to veer/pull on one side and may take some time getting use to. Gas mileage in my city driving averages 15 to 17 MPG and ~ 24MPG on HWY. All controls are quite user friendly and easy to use/reach and learn. Visors could be positioned better. Need simple Tire sensor rst

Great SUV, gas guzzler
By thedriver93 on 08/04/13 05:33 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car to upgrade out of my Camry, tried to see if Toyota could still impress me. This was a great SUV, great visibility, great features with NAV system, back up camera, JBL sound system, leather seats, heightened ride. The way it was drinking gas at 20-21 mpg was horrible and in the end a deal breaker

2012 Toyo Highlander - Overhead Console
By jaregm65 on 06/17/13 04:26 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2012 Highlander in Dec. 2012, I do love my Vehicle, befor this I had a 2000 Rav4 so this is a step up for me. I am having Major issues with my Overhead Console that has the Small Compartment above the Rearview Mirror. I have taken it in already for this problem twice for falling completely down and the small door not closing. I'm wandering if other owners are having this issue and what have they done to fix it because it seems that the dealer just won't fix it they just bandaid the problem. I just don't kbnow what to do anymore and I am frustrated because this is my new car and I shouldn't have any problems and yes I have purchased the full and extended warranties. Help Please

Love the Highlander - All Around Great SUV
By goodboi_75 on 05/30/13 19:22 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love my 2012 Highlander, Base 3.5 L V-6 AWD. It currently has 15,000 miles on it. It's a nice driving vehicle with comfortable ride and outstanding reliability. It's a tank in the NY snow and backs up my steep driveway like a breeze - no spinning, slipping, etc......unlike my 2003 Ford Escape 4x4 which had a tough time backing up the driveway. I went on a recent trip to PA and the highlander handled the hilly terrain with ease and the best part is the gas mileage - averaged 25 mpg highway! I was shocked it did so well and was very impressed. That's better than the 23 mpg hwy rating on the sticker window!

2012 HIGHANDER 2.7L i-4 w/ integrated Nav
By bigdave5 on 04/20/13 06:00 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased this vehicle in October 2011. Now have 27,500 miles on it and still love it as much as the day I first purchased it. Gas milage averages 23/24 around town and 26/27 on the highway. NO other SUV in this size and class gets that kind of milage. I don't need all the fancy upgrades such as leather and power seats. All I wanted was the integrated Nav systems which does a good job for the most part. It has all the power/pep I need for living in big flat Florida! I highly recommend this vehicle.

Love my Highlander
By nailar on 04/10/13 08:31 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am a Toyota girl. I started off with the Corolla, then upgraded to the Camry. When my Camry was stolen and stripped (rest her soul..parts), it was time to start the car search again. Instinctively I decided on the Highlander but then I decided to actually research rather than go with loyalty. After a month of research, I ended up back at the Highlander. I do not regret my choice what so ever. I purchased in Aug 2012, and I only now feel that my mileage is starting to live up to what was advertised. However, even in the beginning it was the same as my Camry, so I am satisifed. This SUV is perfect for a family with children. I needed more space because of my son, and I love it very much.

Well Made SUV
By johnoparsons on 10/16/12 11:17 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Highlander SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this SUV for 9 months and already have over 16,000 miles on it, mostly highway. Mileage is good for this size vehicle and about as advertised (19/23). Build fit and finish is very good, and no major quality issues (so far). The vehicle does very well with long-distance highway cruising (minimal vibrations, very quiet, comfortable seats), and handles well around the city. No issues with hauling a boat -- plenty of power at the ramp and stable towing. Good cargo capacity with rear seats down.

Should have ignored rep and bought hybrid
By dvdmllr on 10/05/12 14:23 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was debating about the Limited V6 4wd with the hybrid or just going with the standard gas model. The rep convinced me that I didn't really need the hybrid that the mileage would be just fine. I do a lot of highway miles yet I'm still just getting an average of 16 mpg. I've been told then when I hit 10k miles it will improve but it's not even at city mileage right now so not holding my breath. I am also frustrated with the number of rattles in a brand new vehicle that the dealership can't seem to find and fix. Makes it seem like I bought a used vehicle.

Great SUV BUT Some Very Annoying Design Features
By srflifecoach on 08/26/12 19:40 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought LTD AWD fully loaded except for tow package. Wonderful ride, fun to drive. Compared Honda Pilot but it's ride was more truck-like and driver seat didn't raise up high enough for spouse to see over dash "hump" on Pilot. But wondering what Toyota engineers were thinking?? Rain/water drip down on passenger seats when doors open (no drip edge). Bumper step/protector strip doesn't thus you get scratches on edges. Can't program GPS system while moving (not even passenger). Sirius radio reception terrible and doesn't show as much of the song/title/info as my $30 cheapie add-on in my other car. Love 2-yr free routine maintenance & 8-year/100,000mile/$0 ded extended warranty I bought.