2011 Toyota Highlander Consumer Review: I'm confused!

2011 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (2.7L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

I'm confused!
By markieg123 on

2011 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Please tell me how you're all getting such great gas mileage and liking this car! I live in a fairly flat city and am getting 17 city/23 freeway. And, this car sure does rattle a lot for a brand new car and what's wrong with the front end suspension? After two trips to the dealer, the rattles are still there and the car still shimmied (they "cannot duplicate" either complaint.) Finally had an independent tire shop balance all four tires and align 3 of the 4 tires, which helped but something still isn't right. The dealer said to file a complaint with headquarters if I want to be reimbursed my $130. I guess I should have comfort in knowing I leased rather than buy this. Only 3 more years....

Rides like a car, plenty of leg and head room. Nice dash layout, stereo sounds good, plenty of personal storage space up front, four cupholders(count them, 4 cupholders!) up front, and the AC pumps out the cold air which is a great relief when getting into my car after work on a 105 degree day.

The cruise control could get you into trouble if you're pushing your luck to begin with. When, say climbing a hill on the freeway, the cruise tries to maintain a speed but goes over the set speed quite a bit before coming back down to the set speed. Kind of worried me a few times coming back from Vegas the other day! This 4 cylinder is quite noisy. I wonder if people on the street can hear the engine as much as I can? Try plugging in your iPod into the aux port with one hand! You'll have to hold the flap open with one finger while pushing in the plug with your other available fingers. The back seat arm rests might not hold up if an adult leans on it to adjust their positioning.
By usafrob
on 10/18/11 11:40 AM (PDT)

My Dad has an Avalon and after awhile he started to get a shimmy in the front end as well. It happened at in-between speeds too which was weird (not at 25, yes at 45, not at 55). After rotating wheels, it did get better but didn't go away completely. At first they thought it was the TPMS, but when that wasn't it, he decided to put aftermarket rims on the car...NO MORE SHIMMY! There was something internal in the casting of the wheel that made it that way. His was out of warranty. I would suggest you have them try 4 new wheels/tires and test it to see if that is your issue. Hope this helps.