2011 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Stay away from the Pricy

2011 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Review

Stay away from the Pricy Nav System
By hondaowner56 on

2011 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Good overall, but it doesn't mean competition is bad. If you're interested in the Nav, the only advantage you'll get for $2000 extra is the bigger backup camera screen. Nav is terrible for $2000. TOYOTA MUST GIVE AWAY this nav rather than sell it. It's very old tech. Many owners also get lost because they can't park the car just to make corrections. Voice command is very ancient and limited (only 3 entries shown at a time). Save the $2000, buy the high-end portable nav, and keep the difference. You'll get better and safer guidance. I drive with the screen always off because of the frustrating User interface.

Favorite Features

Driveability. Although, as a regular car owner, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless I own competing models as well. Toyota's cars are great, but given their rising operating costs, car models suffer (e.g., cheaper interior materials, single-, instead of double-stitching on the supposedly upgraded leather). Backup camera does not have guide lines, nor the beep-beep sound. Certainly no longer the best cars around. Competition are not really that bad. If you want a much better value, tech, EVEN reliability, please check out models from Hyundai (Santa Fe's coming up). Honda, Nissan, Mazda, and even Ford also make reliable cars. Check them out before committing on the Highlander.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota, please clean up your act and help us, current owners get satisfied by at least upgrading the antiquated system we were made to believe will help us make our lives better. Until then, and except for your hybrids, your cars are going down, lower, and lower in quality. Your Camry used to be a hallmark of high quality. Not anymore, in my opinion. The Sonata is hands down much better than the Camry (sorry Camry fans). It's hard to justify cheapening of materials with the Toyota brand as a way to keep your customers happy. I'd like my front passenger to be able to operate the nav system and other functions in my 'high-end' info-tainment system, while I am driving.