2011 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Great car...some quality issues...poor customer experience...
By tjbss on 06/02/14 17:42 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The only negative regarding this car relates to quality issues (power windows and sun visor) and specifically the way the dealership and Toyota executed their customer service. Otherwise, the vehicle is a joy to drive and (so far) very reliable. The driver's sun visor has broken twice in less than three years. The dealership, Rice Toyota, and Toyota have, in the end replaced the sun visor at no charge, however Toyota corp's customer service has disappointed me due to failed follow up promises. The power window failed due to a nut that came off the window...a repair we paid for. These relatively "minor' repairs make me less positive toward the brand's quality and customer service.

I tried to like it, but at the end trade it in for Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring only after 1 year.
By convert777 on 08/26/12 12:15 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Positive: Suppose to have stellar reliability and has a good resale, quick, relatively roomy and comfortable if you are not a driver. Negatives: Most surfaces and materials don't belong in $40,000 car (ok with me) , drives like minivan/truck crossover with very light and not communicative steering (does not drives, but floats), 3 rd row not usable - not just because of size/just plywood covered in cheap vinyl, no blind spot monitoring ( a must because of size, blind spots), no adaptive xenon headlights, average MPG for it size ( computer always overstate by 1 MPG). Toyota keeps being arrogant and substantially raised prices for 2012 without any improvements, that worked in my favor. My last 5 cars were Toyota's. After buying my first Mazda and then a Subaru I discovered that they are build as good or better than Toyota and pleasure to drive. Checked with Consumer reports and others and discovered that it is not only my opinion: Subaru and Mazda are higher rated that Toyota. Replaced 2011 Highlander Limited with 2012 CX-9 GT for only $2000 extra (no financing): pleasure to drive and handing like compact CUV/sedan (yet substantially bigger than Highlander), very usable 3rd row, near luxury interior/exterior, all the extras and safety futures not even available in Highlander, reliability should be terrific also - six year of the model and built in Japan.

Stay away from the Pricy Nav System
By hondaowner56 on 04/23/12 06:37 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Good overall, but it doesn't mean competition is bad. If you're interested in the Nav, the only advantage you'll get for $2000 extra is the bigger backup camera screen. Nav is terrible for $2000. TOYOTA MUST GIVE AWAY this nav rather than sell it. It's very old tech. Many owners also get lost because they can't park the car just to make corrections. Voice command is very ancient and limited (only 3 entries shown at a time). Save the $2000, buy the high-end portable nav, and keep the difference. You'll get better and safer guidance. I drive with the screen always off because of the frustrating User interface.

The Best SUV in the segment
By kaushiksripat on 04/09/12 20:58 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Hello, The Highlander is the best in the segment i would say. The ride quality is far better than other suvs in this segment. You got to drive this decent SUV ... I am sure there will be no one who would not love it. Decent fuel economy, Robust feel while driving ( sturdy), very reliable, Smooth V6 and superb drive quality, best for family with small kids, Amazing family car

Comfy family hauler absent of any sporting ambitions
By jan57 on 11/29/11 11:35 AM (PST)

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife insisted on buying this car as a family vehicle. The car is very comfortable, quiet and has good acceleration. It's spacious, loads lots of stuff and has been reliable. Fuel economy is good for the class, but nothing to bragg about (it is after all a hulking SUV). We average about 22 miles/gallon. On the negative side, the car has prominet torque steer if you make use of only half the power, the steering is as numb as could be and the car floats more than it drives. Excitement factor is zero. It's totally incapable in snow despite its appearance. Rear visibility is very poor and the backup camera a must. Blue tooth is very basic and doesn't switch between different phones.

2011 Toy Highlander V6 4WD
By jonjon111 on 10/16/11 08:25 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent vehicle overall. Excellent alternative to a van. Previously owned vans for the past 10 years (Sienna & Odyssey). It was time for a change. We shopped around for the best mid size replacement as an alternative to a van at our price point. Our biggest concern was loosing the versatility of a van, which will always be there. We drove the Ford Edge, GMC Terrain, and Toyota Venza. Of the three we ruled out the Edge & Terrain. The Venza was the best of the three. We then realized a must for us was a 3rd seat to accomodate additional passengers as needed. We realized we had to increase our price point & test drove the Highlander. We immediately realized this to be a perfect fit.

I'm confused!
By markieg123 on 09/22/11 17:46 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Please tell me how you're all getting such great gas mileage and liking this car! I live in a fairly flat city and am getting 17 city/23 freeway. And, this car sure does rattle a lot for a brand new car and what's wrong with the front end suspension? After two trips to the dealer, the rattles are still there and the car still shimmied (they "cannot duplicate" either complaint.) Finally had an independent tire shop balance all four tires and align 3 of the 4 tires, which helped but something still isn't right. The dealer said to file a complaint with headquarters if I want to be reimbursed my $130. I guess I should have comfort in knowing I leased rather than buy this. Only 3 more years....

Love our 2011 Toyota Highlander
By bossman8 on 09/20/11 11:03 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This suv drives like a BMW. Have not found anything I would change.

Love this car!
By bfantastic on 09/18/11 13:43 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2006 Highlander is still going strong, without any problems. It's been a fun, reliable, and totally worthwhile ride. We're getting ready to retire a 1989 Corolla, and the plan is to get another Highlander.

Smooth & Powerful Drivetrain. Gas Mileage disappoints
By spottedone on 09/10/11 16:59 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this Highlander Limited early August and have about 2500 miles on it. I just completed a trip from Phoenix to San Diego. I bought the car for the smooth, quiet ride and performance and it has not disappointed. I had test drove an Infiniti SUV and the Acura MDX. Overall, I am happy with the car. The gas mileage has ranged from 19.4 to 22mpg. My Low fuel warning light is coming on too early with about 4.5 gal remaining in tank. This is around 322 miles which is very irritating. I think the Navigation system is too complicated as evidenced by the large instruction manual. Cargo cover installation is a pain. We really need ventilated seats in AZ.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Toyota Highlander Suv in VA is:

$114 per month*