Used 2011 Toyota Highlander Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

I'm confused!
By markieg123

2011 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Please tell me how you're all getting such great gas mileage and liking this car! I live in a fairly flat city and am getting 17 city/23 freeway. And, this car sure does rattle a lot for a brand new car and what's wrong with the front end suspension? After two trips to the dealer, the rattles are still there and the car still shimmied (they "cannot duplicate" either complaint.) Finally had an independent tire shop balance all four tires and align 3 of the 4 tires, which helped but something still isn't right. The dealer said to file a complaint with headquarters if I want to be reimbursed my $130. I guess I should have comfort in knowing I leased rather than buy this. Only 3 more years....

Rides like a car, plenty of leg and head room. Nice dash layout, stereo sounds good, plenty of personal storage space up front, four cupholders(count them, 4 cupholders!) up front, and the AC pumps out the cold air which is a great relief when getting into my car after work on a 105 degree day.

The cruise control could get you into trouble if you're pushing your luck to begin with. When, say climbing a hill on the freeway, the cruise tries to maintain a speed but goes over the set speed quite a bit before coming back down to the set speed. Kind of worried me a few times coming back from Vegas the other day! This 4 cylinder is quite noisy. I wonder if people on the street can hear the engine as much as I can? Try plugging in your iPod into the aux port with one hand! You'll have to hold the flap open with one finger while pushing in the plug with your other available fingers. The back seat arm rests might not hold up if an adult leans on it to adjust their positioning.

3rd Toyota purchase
By rma581

2011 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased this SUV 5 days ago. after driving 390 miles I calculated 27.8 MPG after my 1st tank fill, 70% hy 30% city driving. The 4cyl is a little noisy in the lower gears as oppose to the v6 however it performs well. I purchased the base model with the tech package option. (a must to have if you own a IPOD) I have 3 kids & decided to choose this model when Toyota changed the 3rd row on the 2011 Highlander from a single row to a split. This allows my son to sit in the back with the other seat down for more storage.

"Blue tooth Audio intergration" This allows me to steam live internet music radio from my htc cell phone to the cars audio without cables & also allows me to change the phone radio presets or IPOD using the steering wheel remote. Center seat in the 2nd row can be tucked under the center front console to allow my kids to walk to the 3rd row, Other favoites are its Backup Camera, interior space, exterior design, & gas millage

The storage area next to the USB port should be larger to allow a IPOD to be stored out of site, Homelink controls are not avalible on the base model, Cross bars do not come with the roof rack option. A second USB & Line input should also be avable in the center console as well,

Very Nice Vehicle
By indianadad

2011 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

We bought this car 9 days ago and have managed to put about 500 miles on it with a long Spring Break weekend included. So far we are averaging about 23 MPG city and 27 MPG highway, so it is beating my gas mileage expectations for choosing the 4 cylinder. This is a pretty powerful 4 cylinder, so it performs very well - even with it packed with family and luggage. If you test drive one, you will be pleased. There is a little bit of noise at low gears, but the 6 speed makes it pretty quiet afterwards. This base model has everything I actually use on a car, so we are happy. The interior is very pleasant and the looks outside are very sharp, especially with all of the chrome. Good buy!

I really like that the center of the middle seat can be folded up and tucked under the front console to turn them into captain's chairs. Pretty neat!

It would be nice if the floor for the back seats was lower like for the middle ones. It kind of makes you feel like you are sitting in airplane jump seats like the flight attendants use. Another thing is the feature of the A/C system that automatically opens it back to fresh air about 4 minutes after you press in the recirculate air button. We thought something was wrong, but the owner's manual confirms that it is supposed to occur. An annoyance to have to keep pressing the button if you are in a batch of stinky traffic and don't want it to come in the cabin.

1st SUV
By Sacuraman

2011 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

1st time driving/purchasing an SUV. Major selling point is the 3rd row seats for the kids. Purchased w/ the Tech package which I recommend for comfort and some bells and whistles over the basic w/o options- also the tow package increases towing to a functional 3500 lbs. So far drove about 400 miles- 50% hwy and 50% city- according to the mileage display, averaging ~27 miles/gallon. I4 engine and transmission is geared for surprisingly good acceleration for a 4 cylinder/medium SUV. Only complaint is the speedometer reads about 3 miles greater than my GPS speed.

-Good gas mileage/power for a 4 cylinder. -Folding 3rd row seats -Monitoring of the actual mileage/gallon

- a little more accuracy with the speedometer