Used 2011 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2011 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

GREAT CAR
By David Gervais

2011 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the 3rd Toyota Highlander we have owned - started with the 2002 Limited. This car has served us very well. Great design, load a lot of stuff inside, great on long trips. I think the highlander is one of the best SUVs on the market today. Very reliable.

Take the High road with a Highlander!
By frannie

2011 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Highlanders are such a dependable and safe vehicle.
I have had mine for almost five years and it has been 100% trouble free - 100%
Friends and neighbors are constantly taking both Swedish and American models into the shop.
Not with a Toyota - you can depend on a Toyota, day after day, week after week, year after year.
First Toyota I have owned. I will always own a Toyota!

Great car...some quality issues...poor customer experience...
By tjbss

2011 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The only negative regarding this car relates to quality issues (power windows and sun visor) and specifically the way the dealership and Toyota executed their customer service.

Otherwise, the vehicle is a joy to drive and (so far) very reliable.

The driver's sun visor has broken twice in less than three years.
The dealership, Rice Toyota, and Toyota have, in the end replaced the sun visor at no charge, however Toyota corp's customer service has disappointed me due to failed follow up promises.
The power window failed due to a nut that came off the window...a repair we paid for.
These relatively "minor' repairs make me less positive toward the brand's quality and customer service.

Ride, Performance, Passenger comfort...

I tried to like it, but at the end trade it in for Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring only after 1 year.
By convert777

2011 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Positive: Suppose to have stellar reliability and has a good resale, quick, relatively roomy and comfortable if you are not a driver.

Negatives: Most surfaces and materials don't belong in $40,000 car (ok with me) , drives like minivan/truck crossover with very light and not communicative steering (does not drives, but floats), 3 rd row not usable - not just because of size/just plywood covered in cheap vinyl, no blind spot monitoring ( a must because of size, blind spots), no adaptive xenon headlights, average MPG
for it size ( computer always overstate by 1 MPG). Toyota keeps being arrogant and substantially raised prices for 2012 without any improvements, that worked in my favor.

My last 5 cars were Toyota's. After buying my first Mazda and then a Subaru I discovered that they are build as good or better than Toyota and pleasure to drive.
Checked with Consumer reports and others and discovered that it is not only my opinion:
Subaru and Mazda are higher rated that Toyota.
Replaced 2011 Highlander Limited with 2012 CX-9 GT for only $2000 extra (no financing):
pleasure to drive and handing like compact CUV/sedan (yet substantially bigger than Highlander), very usable 3rd row, near luxury interior/exterior, all the extras and safety futures not even available in Highlander, reliability should be terrific also - six year of
the model and built in Japan.

Stay away from the Pricy Nav System
By hondaowner56

2011 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Good overall, but it doesn't mean competition is bad. If you're interested in the Nav, the only advantage you'll get for $2000 extra is the bigger backup camera screen. Nav is terrible for $2000. TOYOTA MUST GIVE AWAY this nav rather than sell it. It's very old tech. Many owners also get lost because they can't park the car just to make corrections. Voice command is very ancient and limited (only 3 entries shown at a time).
Save the $2000, buy the high-end portable nav, and keep the difference. You'll get better and safer guidance.

I drive with the screen always off because of the frustrating User interface.

Driveability. Although, as a regular car owner, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless I own competing models as well. Toyota's cars are great, but given their rising operating costs, car models suffer (e.g., cheaper interior materials, single-, instead of double-stitching on the supposedly upgraded leather). Backup camera does not have guide lines, nor the beep-beep sound. Certainly no longer the best cars around. Competition are not really that bad. If you want a much better value, tech, EVEN reliability, please check out models from Hyundai (Santa Fe's coming up). Honda, Nissan, Mazda, and even Ford also make reliable cars. Check them out before committing on the Highlander.

Toyota, please clean up your act and help us, current owners get satisfied by at least upgrading the antiquated system we were made to believe will help us make our lives better. Until then, and except for your hybrids, your cars are going down, lower, and lower in quality. Your Camry used to be a hallmark of high quality. Not anymore, in my opinion. The Sonata is hands down much better than the Camry (sorry Camry fans). It's hard to justify cheapening of materials with the Toyota brand as a way to keep your customers happy. I'd like my front passenger to be able to operate the nav system and other functions in my 'high-end' info-tainment system, while I am driving.