2011 Toyota Highlander Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2011 Highlander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Sort Reviews by

Great car...some quality issues...poor customer experience...
By tjbss

2011 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The only negative regarding this car relates to quality issues (power windows and sun visor) and specifically the way the dealership and Toyota executed their customer service. Otherwise, the vehicle is a joy to drive and (so far) very reliable. The driver's sun visor has broken twice in less than three years. The dealership, Rice Toyota, and Toyota have, in the end replaced the sun visor at no charge, however Toyota corp's customer service has disappointed me due to failed follow up promises. The power window failed due to a nut that came off the window...a repair we paid for. These relatively "minor' repairs make me less positive toward the brand's quality and customer service.

Favorite Features

Ride, Performance, Passenger comfort...

I tried to like it, but at the end trade it in for Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring only after 1 year.
By convert777

2011 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Positive: Suppose to have stellar reliability and has a good resale, quick, relatively roomy and comfortable if you are not a driver. Negatives: Most surfaces and materials don't belong in $40,000 car (ok with me) , drives like minivan/truck crossover with very light and not communicative steering (does not drives, but floats), 3 rd row not usable - not just because of size/just plywood covered in cheap vinyl, no blind spot monitoring ( a must because of size, blind spots), no adaptive xenon headlights, average MPG for it size ( computer always overstate by 1 MPG). Toyota keeps being arrogant and substantially raised prices for 2012 without any improvements, that worked in my favor. My last 5 cars were Toyota's. After buying my first Mazda and then a Subaru I discovered that they are build as good or better than Toyota and pleasure to drive. Checked with Consumer reports and others and discovered that it is not only my opinion: Subaru and Mazda are higher rated that Toyota. Replaced 2011 Highlander Limited with 2012 CX-9 GT for only $2000 extra (no financing): pleasure to drive and handing like compact CUV/sedan (yet substantially bigger than Highlander), very usable 3rd row, near luxury interior/exterior, all the extras and safety futures not even available in Highlander, reliability should be terrific also - six year of the model and built in Japan.

Stay away from the Pricy Nav System
By hondaowner56

2011 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Good overall, but it doesn't mean competition is bad. If you're interested in the Nav, the only advantage you'll get for $2000 extra is the bigger backup camera screen. Nav is terrible for $2000. TOYOTA MUST GIVE AWAY this nav rather than sell it. It's very old tech. Many owners also get lost because they can't park the car just to make corrections. Voice command is very ancient and limited (only 3 entries shown at a time). Save the $2000, buy the high-end portable nav, and keep the difference. You'll get better and safer guidance. I drive with the screen always off because of the frustrating User interface.

Favorite Features

Driveability. Although, as a regular car owner, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless I own competing models as well. Toyota's cars are great, but given their rising operating costs, car models suffer (e.g., cheaper interior materials, single-, instead of double-stitching on the supposedly upgraded leather). Backup camera does not have guide lines, nor the beep-beep sound. Certainly no longer the best cars around. Competition are not really that bad. If you want a much better value, tech, EVEN reliability, please check out models from Hyundai (Santa Fe's coming up). Honda, Nissan, Mazda, and even Ford also make reliable cars. Check them out before committing on the Highlander.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota, please clean up your act and help us, current owners get satisfied by at least upgrading the antiquated system we were made to believe will help us make our lives better. Until then, and except for your hybrids, your cars are going down, lower, and lower in quality. Your Camry used to be a hallmark of high quality. Not anymore, in my opinion. The Sonata is hands down much better than the Camry (sorry Camry fans). It's hard to justify cheapening of materials with the Toyota brand as a way to keep your customers happy. I'd like my front passenger to be able to operate the nav system and other functions in my 'high-end' info-tainment system, while I am driving.

The Best SUV in the segment
By kaushiksripat

2011 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Hello, The Highlander is the best in the segment i would say. The ride quality is far better than other suvs in this segment. You got to drive this decent SUV ... I am sure there will be no one who would not love it. Decent fuel economy, Robust feel while driving ( sturdy), very reliable, Smooth V6 and superb drive quality, best for family with small kids, Amazing family car

Favorite Features

Technology package Blue tooth Tow package V6 engine

Suggested Improvements

Slight exterior modifications to make it look more aggressive rear seats can not accommodate adults

Comfy family hauler absent of any sporting ambitions
By jan57

2011 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife insisted on buying this car as a family vehicle. The car is very comfortable, quiet and has good acceleration. It's spacious, loads lots of stuff and has been reliable. Fuel economy is good for the class, but nothing to bragg about (it is after all a hulking SUV). We average about 22 miles/gallon. On the negative side, the car has prominet torque steer if you make use of only half the power, the steering is as numb as could be and the car floats more than it drives. Excitement factor is zero. It's totally incapable in snow despite its appearance. Rear visibility is very poor and the backup camera a must. Blue tooth is very basic and doesn't switch between different phones.

Favorite Features

Reliability (only problem is mild rattle from left driver's door window, otherwise there has been no problems); powerful and reasonably smooth engine; interior space; comfortable suspension; quiet operation. The car is sort of a comfy family hauler that provides reliable transportation and can occasional drive 6-7 folks around (without luggage, though).

Suggested Improvements

Reduce torque steer; make interior/instruments more interesting and less "cheesy"; improve rear visibility (it's just a question of time that you hit somebody without the rearview camera); improve snow performance; improve poor fuel economy (what about a diesel engine?); lower price.

2011 Toy Highlander V6 4WD
By jonjon111

2011 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent vehicle overall. Excellent alternative to a van. Previously owned vans for the past 10 years (Sienna & Odyssey). It was time for a change. We shopped around for the best mid size replacement as an alternative to a van at our price point. Our biggest concern was loosing the versatility of a van, which will always be there. We drove the Ford Edge, GMC Terrain, and Toyota Venza. Of the three we ruled out the Edge & Terrain. The Venza was the best of the three. We then realized a must for us was a 3rd seat to accomodate additional passengers as needed. We realized we had to increase our price point & test drove the Highlander. We immediately realized this to be a perfect fit.

Favorite Features

Based on budget, we were unsure that the technology package was worth the price or need. Today, we are glad that we added this package. The two most favorite features we use quite often are the flip rear glass & the hands free phone. We did also add the towing package for future use & the cold weather package which includes the heated mirrors & lower windshield grid which will be an added benefit in the winter months ahead.

Suggested Improvements

There are only two improvements that we can suggest at this time for future models. One is adding four single touch window switches for up & down (all windows) especially at this price point. This vehicle has this feature for the driver window only. I have found this feature to be standard on vehicles with a much lower price point such as a Camry. Second is shielding the back up camera lens (in the tech pkg) in an attempt to avoid water drops that obscure the camera.

I'm confused!
By markieg123

2011 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Please tell me how you're all getting such great gas mileage and liking this car! I live in a fairly flat city and am getting 17 city/23 freeway. And, this car sure does rattle a lot for a brand new car and what's wrong with the front end suspension? After two trips to the dealer, the rattles are still there and the car still shimmied (they "cannot duplicate" either complaint.) Finally had an independent tire shop balance all four tires and align 3 of the 4 tires, which helped but something still isn't right. The dealer said to file a complaint with headquarters if I want to be reimbursed my $130. I guess I should have comfort in knowing I leased rather than buy this. Only 3 more years....

Favorite Features

Rides like a car, plenty of leg and head room. Nice dash layout, stereo sounds good, plenty of personal storage space up front, four cupholders(count them, 4 cupholders!) up front, and the AC pumps out the cold air which is a great relief when getting into my car after work on a 105 degree day.

Suggested Improvements

The cruise control could get you into trouble if you're pushing your luck to begin with. When, say climbing a hill on the freeway, the cruise tries to maintain a speed but goes over the set speed quite a bit before coming back down to the set speed. Kind of worried me a few times coming back from Vegas the other day! This 4 cylinder is quite noisy. I wonder if people on the street can hear the engine as much as I can? Try plugging in your iPod into the aux port with one hand! You'll have to hold the flap open with one finger while pushing in the plug with your other available fingers. The back seat arm rests might not hold up if an adult leans on it to adjust their positioning.

Love our 2011 Toyota Highlander
By bossman8

2011 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This suv drives like a BMW. Have not found anything I would change.

Favorite Features

I love the back camera, and navigation system. The electronic, Toyota Direct Ignition is awesome.

Love this car!
By bfantastic

2011 Toyota Highlander SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2006 Highlander is still going strong, without any problems. It's been a fun, reliable, and totally worthwhile ride. We're getting ready to retire a 1989 Corolla, and the plan is to get another Highlander.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, roomy interior without being exaggerated (I do not want a van!). The cargo area is great, as is the roof rack. The outside is also perfect: whether you're wearing your running shoes, business suit and high heels, or ski suit, this vehicle makes you look good.

Suggested Improvements

Lower the price. :)

Smooth & Powerful Drivetrain. Gas Mileage disappoints
By spottedone

2011 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this Highlander Limited early August and have about 2500 miles on it. I just completed a trip from Phoenix to San Diego. I bought the car for the smooth, quiet ride and performance and it has not disappointed. I had test drove an Infiniti SUV and the Acura MDX. Overall, I am happy with the car. The gas mileage has ranged from 19.4 to 22mpg. My Low fuel warning light is coming on too early with about 4.5 gal remaining in tank. This is around 322 miles which is very irritating. I think the Navigation system is too complicated as evidenced by the large instruction manual. Cargo cover installation is a pain. We really need ventilated seats in AZ.

Favorite Features

Smart Key, JBL sound system, power rear door.

Suggested Improvements

Ventilated seats. Simpler Nav system. Re-design of cargo cover stowage. Why is Hybrid system $10K more!