Used 2010 Toyota Highlander Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Great, versatile vehicle
By kff1

2010 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased in Dec 2009. 17000 miles later, still loving it. Lots of room for our 2 dogs and camping gear in the back with seats folded down. Very comfortable for 4 on a road trip with the seats up. Rock solid reliability. Bought the 4cyl with tow pkg. We occasionally tow our jetski to the beach and the 4 cyl is more than up to the task. Our only complaint, we were hoping for better gas milage. We have yet to see the EPA rated 27 on the highway, no matter how conservatively we drive. We've averaged 22.1 MPG since new with about a 50/50 mix of highway and city. Our best milage on road trip with just the two of us and no cargo was 25.38. Overall though, very pleased.

Suggested Improvements

Turbo diesel option with an EPA rating around 35 MPG would be outstanding. Please offer reliabile Toyota diesel engines to the US!!!

I like it!
By Ali

2010 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the highlander about a month ago after doing my research on crossovers and SUv's. I chose the highlander after seeing all of the wonderful reviews it had. I am very pleased with my decision although I do believe as with other people there could be a few added upgrades on these vehicles. I purchased the 4 cyl and average about 28 mpg highway going about 60 mph. I'm very satisfied with my choice.

Favorite Features

It has a very smooth ride like the Camry and the seats are very comfortable. The air conditioner also works very well also. I also like the amount of room. There is plenty enough leg room even in the 3rd row.

Suggested Improvements

I wish there were a few small upgrades on the base models. There are no fog lights in the front so it leaves and empty hole. Other than that, this vehicle meets all my expectations.

Dangerous Accelerator
By Econpasha

2010 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Traded in our 18-month old Tacoma truck for the Highlander. Same pushy salesman/dealer for both. In less than 2,000 miles, the accelerator "lost power" three times. Second time, I went to talk to the sales people; they told us to bring it in to the service dept. the next time it happened. Two weeks later, it happened again. Luckily the third event happened near the dealer. They kept it overnight and replaced the accelerator pedal! Almost got hit on a main road because the car would not move no matter how much I pressed on the accelerator. I could not get of the way of oncoming traffic. Scary! Lost all confidence in Toyota, even though I still own a 2008 Lexus LS460.

Favorite Features

Nice look. Better looking than our old Acura MDX. But nowhere near the quality.

Suggested Improvements

A $2 compass! Eliminate the 4-cyc. version. Too weak to push this big vehicle. Better gas mileage. Key hole on passenger door. Better side view mirrors. Current ones are poor quality. Close door hard, you can see it vibrate! Tin can.

great suv
By family person

2010 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Haven't had this car to long but I've been with Toyota for many many years. The highlander is just about everything you could need in a SUV. Lot of room good gas mileage at least the V4 is. Great car with out paying $40,000.00. Can't get much better then this one, for SUV. We put in a blue tooth it did not come with that.

Suggested Improvements

wish they had V4 in upgrades Not just base. needs to come with Blue Tooth and some other extras

Good, solid Auto-Just the right size
By Golfnut

2010 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Since my 2002 Highlander with 183,500 miles needed some major repairs, I decided to trade it in on the 2010 model. My 2010 is just the base model with a 4 cylinder engine, front wheel drive. This engine is a bit larger than my other model, so the extra pep is nice, ride is good, interior is nice and comfortable. This physical size of the Highlander is just right, not to small, and not too large. The engine is a bit noisy at times, and I hope the 6 speed transmission last like my 2002 model. I change my own oil & filter religiously at 3500 miles, and the only thing I do not like about this new engine is the oil filter, it is a messy process.

Favorite Features

Size, Pep of engine, easy to operate, overall a good product.

Suggested Improvements

Oil filter replacement, quieter engine, shifting of transmission.