Used 2010 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2010 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Not Perfect, But OK
By 1toresearch

2010 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I bought this car as the Family vehicle. Luckily, we purchased an extended warranty when new. The Gold standard I have of a reliable vehicle is just gas it up and go. I also include regular service intervals at dealer. This Highlander is not that vehicle. Although mechanically it seems great the car has its flaws. Automatic tailgate does not work reliably. Ours has been replaced but the problem has returned. Check enthusiast web sites and you can see the problem well described. We have also used our extended warranty on AC water leak into cabin, replaced sensors and a headlight switch. The warranty has paid for itself. My wifes 1st toyota and she does not want another toyota.

Favorite Features

JBL sound system. Leather seats. Navigation. Mechanically the car is sound. No engine or transmission problems. In the winter the car with snow tires is wonderful. 3rd row seats are wonderful and they fold down which is a big plus.

Suggested Improvements

Headsets for Monitor are cheap and foam has disintegrated. Lot of road noise in this car. Not as bad as an econo box but not luxury quiet either. Service departments vary wildly. Some are excellent but most are very bad. Quite suprised by this.

toyota empty promisses!
By canada80

2010 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's really a gas guzzler i never got more than 11 miles per gallon on it. I did like all of us, first I look at the numbers promise by Toyota, than I tought I would make a rational decision, then comes the deception. Took it many times to the dealer, all is fine, no check engine light on, no codes, nothing at all! Tire size is the rignt one, pressure is fine, I only use premium gas (no ethanol filler gas), used recommanded oil, 99% of the time I drive on flat surface road, still get bad gas milage. I change my old 4runner for a Highlander, what a bad choice, made to deceive. Maybe whit all the new subcontacts Toyota is a china made machine with a Toyota sticker on it!

Favorite Features

I took the leather option, turn out it's vinyl and the side of the seat crack. I am just a small and light person how can this happen. You can scratch the paint with your finger nail. Try not to park Under a three otherwise you will get permanent imprint in the paint.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest you do your homework before you purchase a high end vehicule, unless you don't mind using a non environement friendly vehicule!

4 Years Later, Still A Solid Vehicle
By bulldogvillan

2010 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Highlander in November 2009. 48k miles later and she still drives like she did off of the lot. Plenty of cargo space to accommodate our family of 4. Enough acceleration to make merging onto any freeway a breeze. It's average around 20 mpg. The interior of the car has held up very well. Plenty of room and head clearance (I'm 6'3"). Quiet and soft ride. It handles much like a Camry. We've had no problems, other than the tires wearing out at 30k miles. Put some Michelin tires on and they haven't had any wear after 18k miles. I do wish it had an outside temp reading on the dash. The 3rd row is very cramped, and hard to get to, but we don't really need it anyways.

Favorite Features

Reliability, v6 engine with plenty of power, decent fuel economy considering the engine and size, stow away seat, plenty of cup holders, cargo power outlet

Suggested Improvements

Better access to the 3rd row, outside temp reading

Great ride!
By leo416

2010 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I really enjoy my 2010 Toyota Highlander Limited. This vehicle definitely has a great amount of power along with a smooth and quite ride. I have previously owned some of Lexus's high end SUV's and I must say I don't see much of a difference in the ride quality, features, style, etc. Granted I did purchase the limited so the features are much improved over the base model. The only thing I can say negative about the highlander is fuel economy. I get around 16 mpg with a good mix of highway and city driving. I understand that is not awful for a midsize to somewhat larger SUV but I just don't like that they state its 20 city & 27 highway. That being said BUY THIS VEHICLE!

Favorite Features

Gps (Common people it's 2013 take the 15 mins & learn how to use it), JBL sound system, Smart Key function, roomy, 3rd row seating, rear power lift gate, probable more I'm forgetting to mention.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I would like to see improved is the Gas Mileage. I barley get 16 and that's keeping my "foot out of it".

We like it
By frazbmw

2010 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Really the only thing I can think to complain about is the steering. The steer by wire requires constant correction and has a different feel to it. AWD was adequete for my wife this winter without winter tires. Plenty of pickup when you want it! No outside temp reading on base model??? 29k come on lets add in a few basic options that all competitors have. I like the interior set up ecspecially the backseat space. Never get better than 18.5mpg mixed driving with 8k on odometer.

Favorite Features

Interior space, power, comfort, awd

Suggested Improvements

MPG, external temp reading on base model