2010 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Not Perfect, But OK
By 1toresearch on 07/10/14 19:08 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I bought this car as the Family vehicle. Luckily, we purchased an extended warranty when new. The Gold standard I have of a reliable vehicle is just gas it up and go. I also include regular service intervals at dealer. This Highlander is not that vehicle. Although mechanically it seems great the car has its flaws. Automatic tailgate does not work reliably. Ours has been replaced but the problem has returned. Check enthusiast web sites and you can see the problem well described. We have also used our extended warranty on AC water leak into cabin, replaced sensors and a headlight switch. The warranty has paid for itself. My wifes 1st toyota and she does not want another toyota.

toyota empty promisses!
By canada80 on 04/21/14 15:59 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's really a gas guzzler i never got more than 11 miles per gallon on it. I did like all of us, first I look at the numbers promise by Toyota, than I tought I would make a rational decision, then comes the deception. Took it many times to the dealer, all is fine, no check engine light on, no codes, nothing at all! Tire size is the rignt one, pressure is fine, I only use premium gas (no ethanol filler gas), used recommanded oil, 99% of the time I drive on flat surface road, still get bad gas milage. I change my old 4runner for a Highlander, what a bad choice, made to deceive. Maybe whit all the new subcontacts Toyota is a china made machine with a Toyota sticker on it!

4 Years Later, Still A Solid Vehicle
By bulldogvillan on 09/28/13 14:08 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Highlander in November 2009. 48k miles later and she still drives like she did off of the lot. Plenty of cargo space to accommodate our family of 4. Enough acceleration to make merging onto any freeway a breeze. It's average around 20 mpg. The interior of the car has held up very well. Plenty of room and head clearance (I'm 6'3"). Quiet and soft ride. It handles much like a Camry. We've had no problems, other than the tires wearing out at 30k miles. Put some Michelin tires on and they haven't had any wear after 18k miles. I do wish it had an outside temp reading on the dash. The 3rd row is very cramped, and hard to get to, but we don't really need it anyways.

Great ride!
By leo416 on 09/26/13 01:30 AM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I really enjoy my 2010 Toyota Highlander Limited. This vehicle definitely has a great amount of power along with a smooth and quite ride. I have previously owned some of Lexus's high end SUV's and I must say I don't see much of a difference in the ride quality, features, style, etc. Granted I did purchase the limited so the features are much improved over the base model. The only thing I can say negative about the highlander is fuel economy. I get around 16 mpg with a good mix of highway and city driving. I understand that is not awful for a midsize to somewhat larger SUV but I just don't like that they state its 20 city & 27 highway. That being said BUY THIS VEHICLE!

We like it
By frazbmw on 04/12/11 22:31 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Really the only thing I can think to complain about is the steering. The steer by wire requires constant correction and has a different feel to it. AWD was adequete for my wife this winter without winter tires. Plenty of pickup when you want it! No outside temp reading on base model??? 29k come on lets add in a few basic options that all competitors have. I like the interior set up ecspecially the backseat space. Never get better than 18.5mpg mixed driving with 8k on odometer.

Great, versatile vehicle
By kff1 on 03/08/11 03:23 AM (PST)

2010 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased in Dec 2009. 17000 miles later, still loving it. Lots of room for our 2 dogs and camping gear in the back with seats folded down. Very comfortable for 4 on a road trip with the seats up. Rock solid reliability. Bought the 4cyl with tow pkg. We occasionally tow our jetski to the beach and the 4 cyl is more than up to the task. Our only complaint, we were hoping for better gas milage. We have yet to see the EPA rated 27 on the highway, no matter how conservatively we drive. We've averaged 22.1 MPG since new with about a 50/50 mix of highway and city. Our best milage on road trip with just the two of us and no cargo was 25.38. Overall though, very pleased.

More than I expected
By nigthhawk779 on 01/08/11 08:16 AM (PST)

2010 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well I wrote a review after 15000 miles and nothing has changed. Same car tires etc., excellent 33000 miles the tires. I read reviews about tire wearing our at 5000 miles . I now wonder what that diver did to make them wear out. Like I stated in the initial review great pick-up styling and love all of the extras. The only think is that I got a couple of rock chips in the windshield and it is 700+ to replace because of the heated base for the wipersse of heated base for the wipers

2010 highlander-one year later
By colorado on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've had our 2010 Highlander-Limited for one year. After 17,000 miles of mountain driving it rides the same as it did on day one. No squeaks. Eerily quiet ride. V6 has plenty of power. Top-quality build. Completely happy with purchase.

GPS Problem
By JohnW on 11/22/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Toyota Highlander SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When the GPS route Guidance voice comes on when the radio is playing the radio does not cut out. the route guidance and radio are on at the same time. All the cars i've had before the radio volume would cut out when the GPS route guidance came on.

Great buy!
By lsrapier on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this vehicle in September with 35 miles on it after our Dodge Durango's transmission died on us and we love this car. We chose the Limited 4wd because it was very classy looking compared to what we had.The power lift gate is an excellent and convenient option. The JBL sound system is superb, the gps is flawless. Handling is car like. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone in the market to buy. It's only got 1600 mile on it so far

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Toyota Highlander in VA is:

$119 per month*