2009 Toyota Highlander Consumer Review: Nice but could be better!

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Review

Nice but could be better!
By Tom on

2009 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

An accident forced me to trade in my 2006 Highlander Limited for a 2009 Highlander Limited. I love the new, larger chassis (I really needed the extra headroom and legroom). At 5000 mi, my mileage is still a dismal 21 mpg for commuting to work. The car feels great with a comfortable driver's seat and smooth, well controlled, powerful performance. The driver's side rear view mirror is strangely distorted just enough to be annoying. The center rear view mirror is too small and mounted too low. It obstructs forward vision. The back seats are a disappointment. I bought the cargo net and the upper attachments are incorrectly designed for proper installation. Nice but could be better!

Favorite Features

Front seat comfort. Driving characteristics are superb with lots of power and great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Distorted left rear view mirror, rear seats (second row center seat module is uncomfortable), second row center console storage needs better design. Cargo net upper attachments points poorer than 2006 model. GPS/Bluetooth graphics interfaces are poorly designed. Voice recognition unreliable.