2009 Toyota Highlander Consumer Review: Great SUV!

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Review

Great SUV!
By Tony the tester on

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

We love our Highlander I4 with convenience package. This car has all the features I need and nothing you don't need-perfect. We love the space and comfort, ride quality and general feel of this car. The assembly quality is first rate. It had defective water pump after one year but it is one of the first ones that they put together. In any case, it didn't stop in the middle of the road. The 4 cyl engine is great. It is quiet, and powerful enough to pull full load on our 1000 mile trip. It lacks a passing power a bit but it is a great cruiser and plenty of pep around town. Efficiency was as low as 19 mpg and as high as 29 mpg. Road feel is good but 6 spd transmission is too shift-happy but smooth.

We love the interior design, comfort and space. 17 inch wheels definitely make ride better then available 19'', which we didn't take. This car has set of 5 tires, so if the tire rated for 50K miles, using 5 of them you can go 60K. Heated windshield for the wipers is a great add-on.

I could hardly think of one area where this car is weak, besides, may be, the transmission, which downshifts at slightest upgrade. I would love it to give me some time to accelerate to the desired speed using same gear. Also, the darkest upholstery could be darker but Toyota fixed it for 2011.