2009 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
A Fine Set of Wheels
By Paxman on 06/05/09 08:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my 2002 Highlander and I'm liking this one even more. This is a very comfortable car to drive. Quiet and smooth ride with a good amount of power when required. Roomy interior. Nice temperature controls. Good amount of cargo space. The Limited comes with a little extra chrome trim which is a great accent to the black paint color. This is a useful, sweet looking vehicle and a fine ride!

Toyota Sport AWD V6
By Justin on 06/04/09 13:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We traded in a Nissan Pathfinder 4WD V6 Limited Edition for a 2009 Highlander Sport AWD V6. The Highlander provides a much nicer ride than our Pathfinder and does not have a truck like ride even with the stiffer sport suspension. We drove the Base, Sport and Limited models and the ride seems the same in all 3. We liked the features that the Sport model gave us that the base model does not provide but finding a Sport was hard to do. The dealers said this was due to Toyota cutting back on production. The middle section of the 2nd row seat that can be arranged in ways and the roomy interior sold us on this car. The V6 power also provides a very powerful driving experience.

Great Vehicle (so far!)
By Mike on 06/02/09 15:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased the Limited model four weeks ago, so far great. Drove several like vehicles, Honda Pilot, Edge and I traded an Acadia, I just couldn't live with the transmission any longer!!! The Toyota is averaging 20.9 mpg in a mix of driving, most runs are less than 10 miles, so I'm happy with that number, will find out what 300 mile interstate trip delivers in a few weeks. Vehicle is very quiet at highway speeds and has a very good audio system but wish Toyota had separated the audio/GPS and Bluetooth functions. It just takes some playing with the controls to figure them out but it could have been simpler. And the 5 speed transmission in this one shifts beautifully.

Toyota Base 10
By jerry on 05/26/09 21:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

The newly built 4 cylinder engine is best in its class; it's like having your own V6 but gas saving is excellently configured. The turns and handling behaves like a Camry and the comfort is leveled like a Lexus RX, I honestly agree, this Highlander is the best of its class.

Nice and comfortable SUV
By HighInSeattle on 05/16/09 14:25 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the 4cyl model instead of V6 since all V6 models in Seattle area come with AWD. I didn't want to pay extra for AWD and the fuel economy of 4cyl is better than V6. I was a bit apprehensive that the 4cyl may lack the punch, but I was so wrong. The 4cyl engine packs a lot of punch and is very smooth - except when accelerating or going uphill when it does growl a bit. I get 22 MPG in normal city driving and there are a lot of hills in my neighborhood. The interior is very comfortable and has ample space for 4 persons. This SUV drives and handles pretty well and feels very safe and solid. Reliability is 5 for now - I will provide an update after 6 months.

Love It
By Mary on 04/28/09 07:30 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I went from a 2000 V8 Ford Explorer to the Highlander. The pick-up is great, comfort is exceptional. Very smooth ride, quiet, handles surprisingly well for an SUV. Lots of room.

Most SUV for the money
By DCPhill on 04/19/09 13:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought to replace 2000 Mercedes ML320. Little bit roomier, more like a station wagon. Cost about same as Mercedes did in 2000. Very comfortable and quiet, handles well. Ergonomics of controls are strange, i.e. GPS/Bluetooth/Radio controls difficult to sort out. So far no regrets.

Good Solid Value
By James Van on 04/15/09 09:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded a 2003 Ford Explorer for this car. Plenty of room inside for people who are tall and larger in size. Rides very nicely and car handles the road good. The 6cyl gives you plenty of power. Inside interior is nicely laid out.

I love this SUV
By VANI on 04/14/09 09:54 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

This SUV is smooth riding, very convenient and it just looks superb on its class. I love driving this and I can't wait to see the next model of the highlander. I will still be buying this kind of SUV after 5 years. Although I have regrets in buying the 4 cylinder because I think if I got the 3.5L 6 cyl. I will be more satisfied.

Nice but could be better!
By Tom on 04/02/09 19:02 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

An accident forced me to trade in my 2006 Highlander Limited for a 2009 Highlander Limited. I love the new, larger chassis (I really needed the extra headroom and legroom). At 5000 mi, my mileage is still a dismal 21 mpg for commuting to work. The car feels great with a comfortable driver's seat and smooth, well controlled, powerful performance. The driver's side rear view mirror is strangely distorted just enough to be annoying. The center rear view mirror is too small and mounted too low. It obstructs forward vision. The back seats are a disappointment. I bought the cargo net and the upper attachments are incorrectly designed for proper installation. Nice but could be better!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Highlander Suv in VA is:

$104 per month*