Used 2009 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Comfy family vehicle for all events
By Jeffrey

2009 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought for more than 7 months and like it more every day. Blind spots was a concern at first but big rear mirrors ease the worry. A great highway cruiser as my main purpose to buy. Drive is smooth but not sporty even good power V6. Leans quite a bit in sharp turn but secure with light steering, low road feel and average steering response. The keyless start and power hatch are great plus for every day use. Most materials used are good quality except some textured hard plastic. Better than FORD and GM comparable models. Truck space is tight when 3rd row seat is up, which is not split and has tight leg room. Center on the 2nd row is too small but outside seats are comfy.

Favorite Features

Backup camera in navi screen. Large rotary knobs for temp control and stereo. Keyless start, power hatch door. Clear instrument dials and no reflection under the sun. Foldable 2nd row center seat and hide away for 3rd row entry. Puddle lamps to enter and exit the car.

Suggested Improvements

NAVI lacks speak of street name which my <$200 portable unit can. Narrow and short 2nd row center seat for long trip. No split 3 row for carrying long item with 2-3 passengers. Quicker and heavier steering; 6-sp Tranny for V-6; more space behind the 3rd row.

Fun to drive
By Yiwen

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's an amazing upgrade from my 98 Madza MPV all-sport. Drives like a sedan. Sometimes I felt it's even quieter than my wife's 04 Camry. The engine is powerful and quiet even when driving up the Cottonwood canyon mountain resorts. Well designed interior controls, which are large and easy to reach. Storage is plenty with many cup-holders. I consistently get 21 mpg (city/highway combined) for my commute to work. Trip to California in July on highway and gets consistent 24 mpg. View isn't as good as my MPV (maybe I'm still trying to get used to it).

Favorite Features

Interior controls, storage, leg room on all rows, powerful engine and quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Need to have split 3rd-row.

Wonderful Car
By Krishna

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I'm very happy about my decision. I was looking for a SUV to replace my VW Passat which is economical and could satisfy my SUV Dreams. I'm happy that I purchased this base model highlander. For my regular commute it give 24 in average and for longer trips it give 26.5mpg. Handling is very good and very very comfortable. Dealer converted the seats to leather for $1099 with heated seats (front and second row). I will recommend this car to anyone without any regret.

Favorite Features

Safety and fuel efficient 4 cylinder. Second Row air conditioner vents.

Suggested Improvements

Trunk door should be powered by default. It is a little bit heavy to close. Antenna should be internal. The second row center seat should be wider in case of two row models. Exterior looks could be improved little bit.

Highlander 4cyl with 3rd seat
By luvthetoyotas

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the car this weekend. Hard to find a 4cyl with the third seat. Drove ~300 miles to pick it up, so I got a little highway time and have driven it around town some. I drove both the 6cyl and 4cyl models and really like the balance of the 4 with the 6 speed transmission. Sure, it won't win any drag races, but the performance is very good. If you want a sports car, buy one. I got ~26mpg on a brand new motor driving 75 mph. Mileage will only improve once it's broken in. So far - love the Highlander. Rated reliability high from my experience with my other Toyota products.

Favorite Features

Interior, exterior, gas mileage. Love the little LED that just barely illuminates the console area. Second row seats are fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

Would like a trip computer and outside temperature on the base model - even my $16K Scion has that...

BMW traded for Family Car
By Canuck

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well, traded in a 4 year old BMW 3 series for the highlander and I love it. More headroom, baby can actually fall asleep in the plush ride, and change her diaper in the car. Third row is used when grandparents are riding with us. But that means cargo capacity is down and the stroller can't fit with the third row up. Need to get smaller stroller or kick a grandparent out. Wanted a smooth floating boat with lots of room and that is the Highlander. It's fast too, but takes longer to rev up.

Favorite Features

Soft, Plush ride. Super cold air conditioner. Many large storage areas. It's as fast if not faster than the BMW 325. Headroom for driver. Tilting second row seat.

Suggested Improvements

Can't put baby seat in the middle second row. Stroller won't fit with third row up.